Post all your Gimp artwork and designs here
Post a reply

Portraits using GIMP

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:12 am

I have posted a number of portraits in my 'something different' thread. However, following my posting of 'Scomo' last week, Dinasset has suggested that, because of the nature of the subject, I should post my portraits to a separate thread. He is far more experienced in these artistic matters than I am, so I am sure his idea has merit.

Anyway, here is my new portraits thread. All constructive comments are welcome and so are images from other member contributors, the only rule being that the image must be fully created using Gimp.

First off the block is one of my favourite singers from the 80s, the English/Nigerian Helen Folasade Adu, better known as Sade. I don't think I quite nailed this one but here she is anyway.

Re: Portraits using GIMP

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 am

Excellent OMG!
My first suggestion:
- improve how the hair is "attached" to the face: it looks like if it were a wig.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am

Lots of hard work in display :)

Is there are video on how to paint on top of a photo ? It is almost certain that I won't be able to manage without a photo under the drawing canvas.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Diego - thanks for the helpful comment. I will have to work on how to better address hair pulled straight back. In my xcf file I do have a hairline shadow layer which did not make it to the final outcome - looks like there is a 'portrait weariness' factor a bit like 'lockdown weariness' :hehe

meetdilip - thanks for commenting. I'm sure there are plenty of helpful videos around, but I have not used/seen them. Yes, just like a normal (i.e. non digital) artist, I do use a reference model by way of a photograph to help get shading and shape correct.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi OMG, Sade is OK for portraits but not scomo due to Gimp Chat site policy #13 'Please refrain from posting images of political figures, past or present'.

At times I don't agree with the site policy but overall it seems to have protected the site for a long time. Keep-on with the good art :bigthup

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:29 pm

That's a beautiful portrait, OMG. You keep getting better.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Tas and Erisian - thank you both; looks like I need to exercise more care choosing my subjects :oops:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:40 am

Although I wasn't actually aware of rule #13, I find it disagreeable in a neutral sense, although I am sure that GnuTux had a primary reason in that decision (the potential for abuse, people tend to cross lines and holler the loudest when it's struck down). Neutral images of political figures don't warrant the same scrutiny, yet they tend to impress upon users that it's OK to cross lines because of infantile logic (so and so posted a picture of "political figure", why can't I?). Thus, it becomes "death by a thousand cuts", and the whole premise gets scrapped.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:39 pm

I would not have known who this portrait was suppose to be of,
without the brief explanation.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Let's get this thread back on track. Here is another portrait, definitely not a politician, but a musician. I have not put the name in the image title but to test out as to whether this person is recognisable, I will leave it to other members to view and name him. Hopefully that is not an impossible task :roll:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Wow, really great!
This is definitely your "mission" in GIMP (and on GC).
Go on.
I understand very well how much effort it requires, but this kind of results compensates it.
You are an artist.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:30 am

Diego - I'm basically speechless but thank you so much for you kind words. Yes it takes time but so much learning goes into the process, ready for next time.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:35 am

Congrats OMG! your last results are excellent :clap

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:28 pm

That looks really good OMG. The face is familiar but I can't place it. He looks like he's probably a folk musician.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Erisian - thanks for trying to identify him. It is supposed to be Mick Fleetwood, co-founder and drummer of Fleetwood Mac, but I wasn't sure I got a close enough likeness on this one.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 pm

Actually, Mick Fleetwood crossed my mind at one point but I couldn't be certain because I only remember seeing him when he was much younger. :bigthup

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 am

A self portrait now of me in my youth and even with hair, which I certainly don't have now!! This portrait is based on an old Polaroid photo taken in 1969 on my debut as goalkeeper for North Sydney Inter football team. And yes the nose has always been a prominent feature :hehe

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:34 am

It looks too much blurred to me, OMG.
May I suggest you to strongly sharpen at least the eyes?

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Diego - thank you. I'm struggling with this new 'mission' you sent me on :roll:

Whether it is my eyes, the light or just continually viewing the same image over a long period, it seems to look OK. However, you are right again about the blurring, so I will have to adjust my methods, learn a lot more about sharpening and particularly wait a while after I think I have finished to check it out with a fresh mind.

I had a quick attempt this morning using Unsharp Mask (more to learn here!), so version 3 is shown below. However, it seems to have introduced other issues with edges too hard in some places and artefacts also appeared, which were difficult to erase. Anyway, I would appreciate your comments.

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 pm

IMO this one is much much better, congratulations!
OMG, do not beat me, I have now a new little suggestion to reach the perfection:
- do just the opposite, id est: blur a bit only the teeth area and the bottom lip; this would be easier, I suppose, than sharpening the eyes, and it will let the image reach a uniform look.

(PS: you may be curious why I'm asking you to work on your creations instead of creating something myself; well, it's very simple: currently I'm totally unable to manually draw even a daisy, my hands are no more stable enough; as you know I was painting years ago, but -alas- this in the past)
Post a reply