Ask all general Gimp related questions here
Post a reply

Help: darktable Images Opening Behind GIMP Window (Edited)

Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 pm

GIMP Version: 2.10.36
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 11
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
darktable

On my old Windows 10 desktop pc, raw images opened in GIMP opened first in darktable as they should - in a large frame right in the main GIMP editing window. I could easily close the darktable window, so the images would load in GIMP and be ready for editing in GIMP. However, now that I've set up a new Windows 11 desktop pc, the raw images are first opened in darktable as they should, but they are opening behind GIMP on my screen. I cannot figure out any setting either in GIMP, darktable, or Windows to get the images to open first in darktable in a larger form in the main GIMP editing window as they did with my Windows 10 computer. I have to minimize GIMP so I can close the open image, and then GIMP can open it. How can I get the raw images to open first in a larger darktable window in the main GIMP editing window, rather than behind GIMP?

Screenshot - GIMP - Small.jpg
Screenshot - GIMP - Small.jpg (98.7 KiB) Viewed 296 times

Re: Darktable Images Opening In Task Bar At Bottom Of Screen

Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 am

That looks like the Darktable logo that you have circled. The screenshot says to 'open' the image - maybe then you will see a larger image. Or maybe you need to click on the logo to open up the program. I do not have windows 11 so cannot advise you further.

Re: Darktable Images Opening Behind GIMP Window (Edited)

Fri May 03, 2024 6:43 am

sallyanne wrote:That looks like the Darktable logo that you have circled. The screenshot says to 'open' the image - maybe then you will see a larger image. Or maybe you need to click on the logo to open up the program. I do not have windows 11 so cannot advise you further.

Thanks for your reply sallyanne. It isn’t the dark table logo. It is as I described- it is the actual image I want to edit that has opened in darktable and been placed down in the task bar. The window showing in the GIMP editing space is the “Open File” window from which a file is selected to open. The files I open should be opening in the main GIMP window in larger form - not in tiny form in the task bar at the bottom of my screen. But I have found no way to make that happen.

Re: Darktable Images Opening In Task Bar At Bottom Of Screen

Fri May 03, 2024 7:04 am

It is the logo showing that your program is open, unless you have it 'pinned' to your taskbar. Your photo will not open until you click on 'open' in gimp. If you had it wouldn't still be showing (It should have disappeared) Maybe you didn't click on open hard enough.
Oh and welcome to Gimp Chat.

Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 am

sallyanne wrote:It is the logo showing that your program is open, unless you have it 'pinned' to your taskbar. Your photo will not open until you click on 'open' in gimp. If you had it wouldn't still be showing (It should have disappeared) Maybe you didn't click on open hard enough.
Oh and welcome to Gimp Chat.

After reading your response, above, I checked the process again. What is actually happening is that the image is opening in darktable, when I open an image in GIMP, as it should. However, the image is opening behind the GIMP window, so I cannot see it and I cannot get to the "close" button (the "x") on the image so I can close it and have it open in GIMP. How do I get the image to open in darktable on top of the GIMP window, as it should?

Edit: I tried using RawTherapee instead of darktable as my raw image plugin with GIMP. Using RawTherapee makes the images open as they should - they open in a window within the GIMP program window, making it easy to close the RawTherapee window so the image re-opens automatically in GIMP for editing. Unfortunately, the images in RawTherapee look very overexposed when they appear in GIMP. I would need to try to modify that, and then maybe I could use RawTherapee instead of darktable as my raw image plugin for GIMP.

Sun May 05, 2024 1:19 pm

RockDove, change your name post to a new one Writing Help in first place, so that it can be more visible to expert people in the forum.
I wish you can get the help you need. :bigthup
Post a reply