Switch to full style
Post all Gimp tutorials, tips and how-to's here
Post a reply

Help With Gimp & GMIC Filters

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:26 pm

Whenever I try to apply a filter (cartoon) either the gimp or gmic filter once I select apply the image turns black its the same shape just all detail is removed and filled with black.

Can someone please help me understand what I am doing to cause this?

This program is not very user friendly for a beginner with very little knowledge beyond some mobile phone design apps.

Re: Help With Gimp & GMIC Filters

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:50 pm

If you check the G'MIC search box you will see 3 different cartoon filters in G'MIC. Try PhotoComix Wild Cartoonizer.

Two little arrows box in top right corner return any filter to the default values.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:32 pm

thanks will try them,,,,,,,the issue I have had is once applying the filter the image blacks out, hope this resolves that issue.

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 am

Without seeing your image - the only thing I can think of is you haven't got it in the correct mode. Is your image in RGB?
Check top menu - Image>Mode> . Which of the three is it?

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:16 am

Does it do something like this? (see screenshot)
If so, the setting where the red arrows are pointing to are the faulty settings, to reset click where the yellow arrow is pointing the icon out
screenshot_20211109-151219.png
screenshot_20211109-151219.png (140.25 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

sallyanne wrote:Without seeing your image - the only thing I can think of is you haven't got it in the correct mode. Is your image in RGB?
Check top menu - Image>Mode> . Which of the three is it?

I can't agree more with @sallyanne with both her suggestions
In all case we need to see your image.
Also if you have duplicated your layer, take a look at the layer Mode
screenshot_20211109-152039.png
screenshot_20211109-152039.png (488.01 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:17 am

Thanks everyone, long day at work yesterday, I will try these suggestions if still having any issue I will post a picture.

Thanks again!
Post a reply