It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animated Route Along a Map
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 am  (#1) 
Script Coder

This tutorial will show you how to create an animated route along a map. Here's the final image...

While these steps will only show how to add a single route to a map, you can add as many routes as you would like and even instruct the script to start on any layer or have any number of frames.

I'm using GIMP 2.6.6 for the tutorial. You will need the following script installed to complete the tutorial ->Animated Path Stroking Script Suite. The script zip file was updated today (December 26, 2013) to include brushes from GIMP 2.6. GIMP 2.8 no longer uses them, but in order to run the script effectively without having to modify the script itself, please add the brushes to your GIMP brushes folder here: C:/Program Files/GIMP-2.0/share/gimp2.0/brushes There have been no changes to the script, so if you have the previous version, there is no need to install it.

It's probably a good idea to have the animation settings script installed on your computer so you can quickly adjust the timing of the layers. That script can be download here-> saulgoode's animation settings script

Let's begin.

Step 1

Open up your desired map in GIMP. I'm using one from Google that's near my house in Central Florida and I'll show you how to get to Disney World.

Step 2

Create a duplicate of the map so you have two layers. Here's a screenshot of the layer dialog window....

Step 3

Grab your path tool Image and start creating your path on the image. Here's what my path looks like. I started near the green dot and finished at the red dot. The path will be painted in the direction you draw it.

Step 4

With your path now drawn, make your top layer active by clicking on it in the layer dialog window...(It's highlighted in blue in my screenshot.) This is the layer we will start drawing on. The bottom layer will be left untouched.

Step 5

Choose the brush you want to paint with. I chose the Circle Fuzzy (07) and set the spacing to 1.0

Step 6

Click on the Paths Tab in GIMP and it will show the path dialog window and all of the paths you have for that image. Right now, we should only have one. Right-click on that path and choose Animated Path Stroking.

Here's the settings I picked...

Click OK and script will do the rest and your animation should look something like so:

Step 7

If you want to alter the speed of the layers, make sure you installed the Animation Settings script I recommended at the beginning of the tutorial and go to Filters > Animation > Settings... Under delay you set the timing. The larger the number the longer the delay. I picked 100 and set the mode to Replace. I then added a longer delay (1.5 seconds or 1500 ms) to my first and last frames. To do that, I double-clicked on the layer name changed the timing number to (1500ms), and then hit the <Enter> key. Make sure you hit the <Enter> key so that GIMP will know to make the changes.

That's it! Give it a shot and see what you come up with. Try adding more routes to the map, changing brush size, colors, and altering the number of frames they are drawn over. Don't be afraid to experiment with the settings. Undo is your friend!

Cheers!

Art

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

Last edited by fencepost on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Animated Route Along a Map
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Here's a 3-route version. Notice how they start at different times....

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

Last edited by fencepost on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:42 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Don't be too harsh it's my first! :lol

Excellent script fencepost - thanks! :)

How do you get the animated painting?
Is that possible with paths also?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm  (#4) 
Retired Staff

That's great, Rod! Somewhere there's a tutorial that fencepost did the painting of Tinkerbell. I just don't know where it is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:05 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

on gimptalk , google should know the exact link,
on GT was also a example "Tinkerbell" posted in the art board and there a link back to the tut

That script is really powerful to work with paths, i remember were some problem with the first version for intercrossing paths and paths with "islands" but i believe all fixed

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It is a fun script to play with and very powerful indeed.I can see a lot of uses for a plug-in like this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:12 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I am having quite a bit of fun with this one! :)

I figured out if you use bigger brushes for the paths you can fill as you go.
I didn't use it on this image, but will try that on the next one.I did use a thicker brush on this image though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Here is an example of coloring using larger brushes to color a path inside a circle area.
I used black so you could see the yellow coloring better. :) Pretty cool!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

I did this tute when FP first wrote it but I forget how to put in the second path.
Below is the settings on the first path.

On the second path, do I start out with a 2 instead of a 1 in (which stroke to paint or split?
What numbers do I use for start point for keyframe and End point for keyframe?

I have tried it different ways and the path doesn't want to start at the beginning and it goes super slow. The first path is fine.

HELP! pleeze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:40 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I don't know why fencepost but I can never download your scripts from DA. The download button doesn't want to work for me. Saulgoode's downloaded fine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:00 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Try them when you get to Sweden with a different wifi and see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:00 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Excellent tutorial as usual, fencepost. :bigthup
Erisian wrote:
I don't know why fencepost but I can never download your scripts from DA. The download button doesn't want to work for me. Saulgoode's downloaded fine.
Erisian, do you mean you can't download any zip files from deviantART? Have you tried, Right click | Save File as...?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:03 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

This script (Animated Paths), has always been one of my favorites Fencepost. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Quote:

Try and click the download link again after the page reloads that is what i have to do sometimes.
ie click the download link and when the page reloads/refreshes click it again. That works for me usually.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:18 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

This is the second of fenceposts scripts that I haven't been able to download. I have repeatedly clicked on the download button and nothing. I have tried right click - save link as and just got an empty zip. My computer doesn't like DA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:24 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

what is the name of the script you want Eris
Check your email

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:41 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you molly, I have it now. It has a different name to the one I couldn't download. The empty zip I got was called animated path stroking script.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:54 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

was the script not inside the one I sent?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:55 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Yes Molly - your's was fine. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:56 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I have all Fences scripts so if there are any you want, let me know and I will zip and post them email to you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:59 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I have all Fences scripts so if there are any you want, let me know and I will zip and post them email to you.

I certainly will. I want to play with his tutorials and scripts.

fence post - thank you for this tutorial. You might see it in practical use sometime in January :teeth