It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animated Highlights Using "Move Layer" Script-Fu
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:14 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

Animated Highlights Using "Move Layer" Script-Fu

In this tutorial, I will show you how to create two simple "highlight" animations such as these below:

Image Image

While you may recall my other tutorials on this same subject (Animated Flash Text in GIMP GAP) &
(New and Improved Animated Highlight - without GAP), this tutorial will require the use of my

Move Layer script which you can download here: FP's Move Layer Script

I also recommend you install these scripts:

Saulgoode's
Combine Background Script
Animation Settings Script

Insanity Prevails
Multi-Layer Action Scripts

1. Double-click the zip file and place the script in your GIMP scripts folder (ie...C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts). Refresh your scripts and you're ready to go. The script can be located under the Filters > Animation > Move Layer...

2. Using the Text tool, add some text to a layer in GIMP. Here's what I've done (the font I'm using is called Star Jedi and can be downloaded here: http://www.dafont.com/star-jedi.font)

3. Now, that you've got your text, add a new, transparent layer above the text layer:

Your layers should look like this (disregard that my transparent layer is called "Background". The text layer is actually the background):

4. Set your foreground color to white and under the gradients tab, choose FG to Transparent, like so:

5. Next, set the Blend mode for the gradient to Bi-linear.

6. Using the gradient tool, place it on the transparent layer (somewhere near the green dot on my image) and, while holding down the Ctrl key (restricts the tool to a straight line), drag the tool to somewhere near the red dot. (This is our highlight layer). Note: the red and green dots will not be on your image. They are guides only.

7. Now, let's blur this layer a little bit. Go to Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur... Here's what I set mine to:

8. Now, let's make some magic! Go to Filters > Animation > Move Layer... and the following dialog will appear:

I won't cover all the possible options at this point (just the ones to make these animations).

A. Set you number of frames (I chose 10)
B. Under Move Layer Options, I chose Option 10 (Using current layer location as starting point). Using this setting, GIMP will automatically determine the layer's starting point and use it. You could choose another option, but humor me for the moment and follow along! :mrgreen:
C. For Layer Handle Placement, I chose Top left. I don't need GIMP to make any adjustments to where the layer is positioned as it will work fine with the Top left setting. However, I included some other options in the script for you to experiment with.
D. Since we're using Option 10 for the Move Layer Options, we don't need a starting X/Y coordinate. However, we do need to tell GIMP where the layer should stop. I figure that the left side of my layer will need to stop around the 340 X-coordinate. Since we're moving only horizontally, we leave the Y-coordinate at 0.
E. I've set the blend mode for the layer to Hard Light. Feel free to experiment with the blend modes/opacity settings.

This is all we need to set for the animation to work. Click OK

GIMP should add several layers to image. To finalize it for an animation, go to Filters > Animation > Combine Background (this is one of the scripts I recommended at the beginning). It will add a copy of each highlight layer to the background layer. In this case, the background layer is the text layer.

Once you've done that, delete your bottom background layer (this layer is no longer need). If you've done everything as I've stated, you should have a basic highlight animation. For giggles, I added a new background layer, filled it with black, and ran the Combine Background script again (deleting my black background layer after running the script) and I have this:

9.To complete the ping pong animation as shown above, in the move layer dialog, choose these settings:

Then, redo these steps:

GIMP should add several layers to image. To finalize it for an animation, go to Filters > Animation > Combine Background (this is one of the scripts I recommended at the beginning). It will add a copy of each highlight layer to the background layer. In this case, the background layer is the text layer.

Your animation should look something like so:

You can view your animation under Filters > Animation > Playback...

Save as an animated gif and you're ready to share it with the world! Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any problems.

Art

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

Last edited by fencepost on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Animated Highlights Using "Move Layer" Script-Fu
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:28 pm  (#2) 
Former Member

I prefer to do this manually, but that's me, I remember you posting this on GimpTalk. Haven't seen you in awhile bro, don't be a stranger now lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:45 pm  (#3) 
Retired Staff

I copied the tutorial from over at Gimp Talk, Speed. Fencepost gave me permission to post his material here in Gimp Chat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:52 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I think it's a wonderful tutorial. :)
I didn't follow it to the letter.I actually utilized both foreground and bg overlays for this one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Really cool tutorial, I will follow tomorrow, pretty late now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 am  (#6) 
Former Member

Oregonian wrote:
I copied the tutorial from over at Gimp Talk, Speed. Fencepost gave me permission to post his material here in Gimp Chat.

Ohhh well that's good lol