It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selection "Brush"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:20 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I'm just starting out with Gimp, working on moving away from Photoshop.

One of the tools I use most frequently in Photoshop is the "spot healing brush." I understand that this exact tool isn't available in Gimp - the closest is either the "Healing Tool" (which requires you to manually select the source pixels first), or even closer, Resynthesizer's "Heal Selection" (which behaves more or less exactly like Spot Healing in that it doesn't require you to select a source - you just tell it where you want to heal, and it "figures out" how to generate the missing pixels). The main difference is how you select those pixels: in Gimp it seems you either have to draw around them with the lasso, or try to surround them with i.e. rectangular/circular selection tools.

This leads to my question: is there some way I can make a selection with a "brush-like tool?" If I could brush directly over the areas I want to select - then I can use Resynethesizer - it would more or less perfectly replace Photoshop's spot-healing brush tool, and be quite a bit quicker to use than trying to lasso around each blemish.

Thanks in advance! :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Selection "Brush"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:12 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

metal450 wrote:
is there some way I can make a selection with a "brush-like tool?" If I could brush directly over the areas I want to select - then I can use Resynethesizer - it would more or less perfectly replace Photoshop's spot-healing brush tool, and be quite a bit quicker to use than trying to lasso around each blemish.

This is the "quick mask": https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-win ... utton.html

Post subject: Re: Selection "Brush"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:46 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Ah, pretty cool :)

Still feels a tad cumbersome, but I guess it's better than nothing! So basically to simulate: "draw over a blemish," the most streamlined I can do in Gimp would be:

Shift+Q -> Draw over the blemish -> Shift+Q -> Heal Selection -> Ctrl+Shift+A

?

Thanks again~