It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating an image map with gimp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:16 am  (#1) 
Script Coder

This tutorial will show you how to create an image map using Gimp and will take the headache out of calculating co-ordinates for each link section (or hotspot).

What is an image map?

An image map is one image that is divided into sections called hotspots. Each hotspot is allocated an action usually a link to another web page, either an internal page or one from an external website. Other functions such as javascripts can also be allocated to a hotspot, but for this tutorial we will be adding links. This tutorial is divided into easy to follow steps.

Step 1
Creating an image map

Launch Gimp and open the image you want to use by clicking on file> Open then navigate to where the file is located.
Here I am using an image with buttons (see above) which will open pages in a website. Each button will be given a hotspot and link.

Step 2
Open the image Map window

In the image window click on Filters > Web > Image Map. Another window will open and it is in this window that the image map will be created.
To the left of the window are three blue shapes: a square, a circle and a polygon. These represent the choice of shapes available to create the hospot that will contain the link (see above image). For this exercise we are going to use the square.

Step 3
Define the first hotspot area

We are going to add a hotspot to the ‘Articles’ button. Click on the blue square to the left of the window. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor over the ‘Articles’ button to form a rectangle. When you have the shape you want click the left mouse button. Another window will automatically open.

Step 4
Add the URL for the hotspot

In this window the URL for the link will be added. Simply paste the URL for the link in the top text area, and the alternative text in the lower text area then click the OK button.
The link has now been added to the ‘Articles’ button. Add a shape as in step 3 and a URL for each of the buttons.

Step 5
Completed Image Map window

The above image shows all the buttons with hotspots added as well as the links. Although the hotspots are visible here, they will not show once the image map has been added to the web page.
To save the image map, in the image map window click on File > Save As then give the file a name. It is important to remember to give the file an HTML extension, so your file name will look something like this:
MyImageMap.html
The Image map has now been created along with the co-ordinates for all the hotspots!

Step 6
Testing the image map

Now that the image map has been created Gimp can now be closed.
To see if all has gone well, navigate to the image map file on your hard drive. It will more than likely be displayed with the icon of your default browser (see image, left). Double click on the icon and the image map should open in your browser. Click on the buttons to see if the links work. Your browser should be able to open each of your links.

Step 7
Getting the HTML code for the image map

To get the HTML code for the image map, navigate back to the image map file. Hold the cursor over the file, right click and choose Open With > Wordpad. Wordpad will then open and contain text similar to the example above.
The section underlined in red shows where the URL for the image used for the image map will need to be placed. The image should be stored in the directory of your website.
The vertical red line to the left of some text highlights notes automatically generated in the creation of the HTML code. Although the text asks you not to delete these lines, since they are just notes they can in fact be edited or deleted if you choose.

:gimp

The process of creating an image map is quick and easy when using Gimp. There is no need to go to the trouble of manually calculating the precise co-ordinates for each hotspot because Gimp works all this out for you, saving a lot of time and trouble.
Good luck with creating your own image maps, and feel free to let me know when you have added them to your website.
images above from Rods original tutorial

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Creating an image map with gimp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:35 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan, Thank you so much for a great tutorial and so good detailled in each step. :clap :tyspin :coolthup

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

If you have trouble finding a site to allow your image maps to be used, you can always use WAMP Server (or LAMP) to forward them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:12 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

I had copied the tutorial from Rods long closed site to remind myself how to change an image map I'd made

of the 4 sites only Gimp Chat remains,I'll have to edit my image map now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:00 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Thank you Graechan!
I added this tutorial to our Tutorial Index.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:35 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

Thank you Wallace now I won't have to fire up my old Laptop to get help in changing my Image map
because my Laptop's mouse & and power supply had been pillaged by the fairies
as nobody in the household took them :rofl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:01 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Graechan wrote:
Thank you Wallace now I won't have to fire up my old Laptop to get help in changing my Image map
because my Laptop's mouse & and power supply had been pillaged by the fairies
as nobody in the household took them :rofl

:bigthup :hehe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
This tutorial will show you how to create an image map using Gimp and will take the headache out of calculating co-ordinates for each link section (or hotspot).

What is an image map?

An image map is one image that is divided into sections called hotspots. Each hotspot is allocated an action usually a link to another web page, either an internal page or one from an external website. Other functions such as javascripts can also be allocated to a hotspot, but for this tutorial we will be adding links. This tutorial is divided into easy to follow steps.

Step 1
Creating an image map

[ Image ]

Launch Gimp and open the image you want to use by clicking on file> Open then navigate to where the file is located.
Here I am using an image with buttons (see above) which will open pages in a website. Each button will be given a hotspot and link.

Really useful for me! Thanks!
Step 2
Open the image Map window

[ Image ]

In the image window click on Filters > Web > Image Map. Another window will open and it is in this window that the image map will be created.
To the left of the window are three blue shapes: a square, a circle and a polygon. These represent the choice of shapes available to create the hospot that will contain the link (see above image). For this exercise we are going to use the square.

Step 3
Define the first hotspot area

[ Image ]

We are going to add a hotspot to the ‘Articles’ button. Click on the blue square to the left of the window. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor over the ‘Articles’ button to form a rectangle. When you have the shape you want click the left mouse button. Another window will automatically open.

Step 4
Add the URL for the hotspot

[ Image ]

In this window the URL for the link will be added. Simply paste the URL for the link in the top text area, and the alternative text in the lower text area then click the OK button.
The link has now been added to the ‘Articles’ button. Add a shape as in step 3 and a URL for each of the buttons.

Step 5
Completed Image Map window

[ Image ]

The above image shows all the buttons with hotspots added as well as the links. Although the hotspots are visible here, they will not show once the image map has been added to the web page.
To save the image map, in the image map window click on File > Save As then give the file a name. It is important to remember to give the file an HTML extension, so your file name will look something like this:
MyImageMap.html
The Image map has now been created along with the co-ordinates for all the hotspots!

Step 6
Testing the image map

[ Image ]

Now that the image map has been created Gimp can now be closed.
To see if all has gone well, navigate to the image map file on your hard drive. It will more than likely be displayed with the icon of your default browser (see image, left). Double click on the icon and the image map should open in your browser. Click on the buttons to see if the links work. Your browser should be able to open each of your links.

Step 7
Getting the HTML code for the image map

[ Image ]

To get the HTML code for the image map, navigate back to the image map file. Hold the cursor over the file, right click and choose Open With > Wordpad. Wordpad will then open and contain text similar to the example above.
The section underlined in red shows where the URL for the image used for the image map will need to be placed. The image should be stored in the directory of your website.
The vertical red line to the left of some text highlights notes automatically generated in the creation of the HTML code. Although the text asks you not to delete these lines, since they are just notes they can in fact be edited or deleted if you choose.

:gimp

The process of creating an image map is quick and easy when using Gimp. There is no need to go to the trouble of manually calculating the precise co-ordinates for each hotspot because Gimp works all this out for you, saving a lot of time and trouble.
Good luck with lifestyle urban in Canada https://highlandsvernon.com/ creating your own image maps, and feel free to let me know when you have added them to your website.
images above from Rods original tutorial

That's what I was looking for! Thanks!