It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy Guide to FontSlab for Gimp Part 2: Options that influence spacing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:31 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
Spacing-Logo.png
Spacing-Logo.png [ 99.11 KiB | Viewed 4176 times ]

This is the second part of the new guide to FontSlab.

The FontSlab 0.12 plug-in is included in the Resources folder for Part 1 of the guide.

There is also a zipped Resources folder to accompany this guide which includes:

Argos_George_Canary_letters_only custom font file
loopy path path file

Attachment:
Resources.zip [4.4 MiB]
Downloaded 138 times

Unpack the resources folder and save it to your preferred location. The path file should be imported to the image (I used a new image size of 1000x800) you create for this project.

Fire up the Gimp and add a curving path to your image either by using the path tool or by importing the path file from the path tool dock.

Spacing between characters can have a dramatic effect on the appearance of your text. FontSlab has a number of options that can influence this. The first two examples show the effect of the changing size of the space character in text along a path.

The first example uses this default character spacing method.

Attachment:
01_default_by character.jpg
01_default_by character.jpg [ 274.52 KiB | Viewed 4176 times ]

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Easy Guide to FontSlab for Gimp Part 2: Options that influence spa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:35 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

This next example applies the step change (and also the space character size) value to whole words rather than to characters i.e. the space size changes more. You will need to increase the step size to see the effect. The advantage of this is to give weight to those words nearer the start of the path.

Attachment:
02_By_words.jpg
02_By_words.jpg [ 232.72 KiB | Viewed 4173 times ]

FontSlab also has an option to directly adjust the spacing between characters independently of any changes in the text size step. Here the spacing is increased between the characters along the path.

Attachment:
03_increase_spacing.jpg
03_increase_spacing.jpg [ 228.88 KiB | Viewed 4173 times ]

The spacing between the characters can also be reduced. The example below uses a rather extreme value to illustrate the option.

Attachment:
04_Decrease_spacing.jpg
04_Decrease_spacing.jpg [ 210.67 KiB | Viewed 4173 times ]

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

Post subject: Re: Easy Guide to FontSlab for Gimp Part 2: Options that influence spa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:36 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Small, subtle changes can have a big effect on the over-all appearance of a line of text.

Attachment:
05_Plays.jpg
05_Plays.jpg [ 258.27 KiB | Viewed 4173 times ]

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:29 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

This is what I get when I bring up font slab:

I have the scrollbar interface, but with this script, the scrollbar is non existent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
[ Image ]
I have the scrollbar interface, but with this script, the scrollbar is non existent.

There is a solution which "cut" straight in it.
Open the file Custom_Font_Slab-v0-12.py with a text editor like pluma, or the Windows notepad, but not with an office suite!
Then remove "To manipulate fonts along a path in Gimp " at line 4543 (keep the double quotes!), you should gain two more lines (options)

Then to simulate the click on "OK" do Alt+o (thanks to rich2005 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19595&start=20#p268199 )

And if it's not enough / Or you can "comment" the functions you do not need by adding a # (also known as hashtag) in front for them to not appear in the windows > thus giving you access to the OK button (though you can do a Alt+o)
Example: (you can add a # in front of any starting by (PF_ in what you see in the screenshot below)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
[ Image ]

There is a solution which "cut" straight in it.
Open the file Custom_Font_Slab-v0-12.py with a text editor like pluma, or the Windows notepad, but not with an office suite!
Then remove "To manipulate fonts along a path in Gimp " at line 4543 (keep the double quotes!), you should gain two more lines (options)
[ Image ]

Then to simulate the click on "OK" do Alt+o (thanks to rich2005 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19595&start=20#p268199 )

And if it's not enough / Or you can "comment" the functions you do not need by adding a # (also known as hashtag) in front for them to not appear in the windows > thus giving you access to the OK button (though you can do a Alt+o)
Example: (you can add a # in front of any starting by (PF_ in what you see in the screenshot below)
[ Image ]

That seems complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:15 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I have a desktop machine - hence the size of the dialog.

This solution has worked on Gimp 2.10 and adds a scrollbar to all python plug-ins.

Link to Jazzon's solution for long dialogs

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases