It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP Layers:The Fundamentals.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:42 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello.in my previous tutorial I showed to you a simple rays effect.to this I am going to show you some things about layers that they are fundamentals for a GIMP starter.if you learn this things,then you are a step closer to start creating designs.

1.)For the begining of this tutorial,we are going to open a new document,in 460 width and 400 high,image size.
We are going to fill it with the bucket tool,in black color.
Then,we are going to the layers window,we click at the layer,we go to Edit layer attributes,and we name the layer background.
2.)Next we are going to open a new layer from the layers window,and we are going to fill it with purple color
,#701991.then we click at:Layer>Scale layer,in this size:width 386,high 336,and we click o.k.we name
this layer,layer 1.

You see now we are have two layers and this very important result!
3.)As you should learn from this tutorial,is that the Text,if we try to type a word with the Text tool,is a
separate layer in our layer dialog.first choose the Text tool.for size put 100 value.choose a yellow color.
I choose # ffdc1a,ant type with caps the word GIMP to the center and top,(a little).

4.)Next we are going to learn how we can manage the layers from the Layers window,with the arrows.

First we lower the Text layer we created,with the right arrow and we bring it to the center between the two other layers.then we choose the named layer 1 Layer,the purple one,and we change his mode from normal to
Grain Extract.we will see that the word GIMP and the layer 1 will appear,but different this time,thanks to the change we made.

This is it.we made it!you can choose any color you like,any number of layers you want and anything else to make a beautiful design.I made a quick one! :)

You can find me at this Blog:Alexanders Blog

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Layers:The Fundamentals.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:08 am  (#2) 
Retired Staff

Nice tutorial, alek. Yes, knowledge of layers is a must for using GIMP.

Post subject: Re: GIMP Layers:The Fundamentals.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:15 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

simple and nice :clap :clap :clap

cought...here i could not resist to a shameless plug, :cu even if word "layer" doesn't appear in the title, i believe this tut may help a lot to understand the effect of layer modes
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106&start=0

It is something totally different

but i believe useful to have fun and simultaneusly deepen the matter..

Mrs Wilbress