It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GAP a Ghost for Halloween Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:06 am  (#1) 
Retired Staff

Jolie and I got together and posted our ghost tutorials at the same time.
Check out Jolie's excellent video tutorial here

GAP a Ghost for Halloween

This is a beginner skills GAP tutorial and a moderate skills GIMP tutorial.

This is the outcome of the tutorial.

Downloads that go with this tutorial. You don't have to use the same font but having the animation settings script will make it much easier and faster to time the animation. The tutorial will not be possible to do without GAP.

Get the Trick or Treat font here.

Get saulgoode's animation settings script. Right-click to download and save it in the gimp scripts folder.
anim-settings.scm

Download GAP if you need it.
Get GAP here.
A little knowledge of GAP before you do this tutorial is helpful.

Open a new image and make it 400 x 400 pixels. Fill the image with white.

Foreground color black. Click the Text tool :text icon in the toolbox. Find the Trick or Treat font. Click in your image and type a "p" in the text box, press <enter> and type an "o." Use the settings in the image below for the font size, leading (spacing between rows of text), and center align. Or use a font of your choice.

Layers > Autocrop layer. The text has a layer boundary tight around it now.

Click the Alignment tool :alntool , click the text in the image then click :alncent and :alnmid .

Right click the text layer and select Layer to Image size. Duplicate the text layer and move the new text layer below the white background layer.

Select the text layer at the top. Filters > Alpha to Logo > Neon. I set the effect size to 100 and left the Glow color the default blue. You can use a different color. Be sure it's a bright color. A dark one may not show well. Click OK.

Delete the Neon Tubes layer, duplicate the Neon Glow layer and merge the two Neon Glow layers. Move the text layer that's below the white layer up to the top. You will see your ghost surrounded by a blue glow.

Merge the text layer down to the Glow layer. Merge the text down to the black layer. Delete the white layer.

File > Save As. Name your image ghost_000001, browse to where you want your animation folder, and over near the right top of the save dialog, click Create Folder. Type the name you want to have for the folder and press <enter>. Save your image and an xcf extension will be added automatically. It is important that your file has _000001 (that's an underline, 5 zeros, and a one) after the name so GAP will recognize the file. See the save image below. I have truncated the image - your save dialog is much larger. It is important to put your GAP files in a separate folder because it takes a lot of files to make an animation in GAP.

Drag the Layer preview window over to the toolbox and drop it on the toolbox. Fill the image with white - ghost image is covered with the white. You now have a white image the same size as the ghost_000001.xcf file.

Name the layer, fog.

Filters > Render > Clouds > Solid Noise. Set X and Y at 3.5, check Tilable, then OK.

Colors > Color to Alpha > Make sure the color in the color box is white (ffffff). Now you have black fog.

Image > Canvas Size. Break the chain link next to the sizing windows, make x = 800 (twice the width of your image) and press <Enter>, then click Resize.

Duplicate the fog layer.

Click the Alignment tool :alntool, click the image and click :alnright (align right). The fog now covers the image. Merge the two layers and save your image as fog in the GAP folder you made. You now have a fog.xcf file.

I like to click the down arrow at the bottom of the image window and select a lower zoom (25%) for this image. Then press Ctrl + E and move the smaller image up out of the way of the other xcf file.

This is the finished fog.xcf image. I put a white background in so the fog is visible and zoomed down to 50% to save space. Do not add a white background to yours. It's for illustrative uses in here only.

Now you're ready to GAP. It's best if you have only the two files open in GIMP.

In the ghost_000001.xcf image, Video > Duplicate frames. Make 10 frames. This will be a relatively small animation. See the frames duplication image below and use those settings. OK

Video > Move Path.

1. Near the bottom left, check Instant Apply.
  2. At the top - Source Image/Layer: That should be your fog.xcf image.
  3. Stepmode: None
  4. Mode: Overlay
  5. Current Point: Enter the negative width of your ghost_000001.xcf file = -400.
  6. Edit Controlpoints: Click Add Point and change x to 0 (zero). That moves the animation from left to right.
  7. One more setting. About 3/4 of the way down and slightly left of center find Clip to Frame and check it.

Here is the Move Path dialog marked where you need to make changes, plus two text notes.

8. Click AnimPreview.

Animation Preview settings.

I selected 10 for the frame rate because the default one is very rapid. A setting somewhere between 9 and 12 is fine. It doesn't have to be exact. Click OK then wait a bit while some processing goes on.

A playback window and an image window will appear. Click play in the playback window to see what the animation will look like. If it kind of pauses in its rounds that's because you have two duplicate frames and one of those will be deleted when you process the final image.

If all looks well, close the playback window and the image that appeared with it. Don't save that image. Be sure you don't close ghost_000001.xcf.

Now you are ready to click the OK button in the Move Paths dialog. It will take a little time to process. When it's finished it will be time to make your animation.

Video > Frames to Image. See image below and make the two changes pointed out with arrows.

Change To Frame: 10 (or how many frames you duplicated), change the rate in Layer Basename to 80 (default is 40) and type (replace) next to the (80), click OK. More image processing.

Hold down the Shift key and click the eye next to a layer. You may need to click more than once. All the eyes need be open so that all of the layers are visible.

You can change the frame speed using saulgoode's awesome Settings script. This is such a time saver.

Filters > Animation > Settings. These are the settings I used for my ghost.

Filters > Animation > Playback. You can see your new animation in action.

If you want to change the speed, you can do it while Playback is still running. Just bring up Settings again and change the speed.

Close the Playback dialog and save as an animated gif file.

Close the ghost_00001.xcf file and the fog.xcf file. Once you are sure your animation is OK, you can delete the 11 files and the fog file.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GAP a Ghost for Halloween Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:32 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

This is actually scary. :help

I'm gonna read through it. Might be a good introduction to GAP for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:17 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I still learn from you, Oregonian, thanks for the tutorial. :drum Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm  (#4) 
Retired Staff

Very nice job, pogo. Thank you for trying my tutorial. :geek

@jolie - it just looks scary because the tutorial is long. The steps are simple. Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm  (#5) 
Retired Staff

This one I left the neon tubes in place and offset the black text layer a little.

You can get the LCR Pumpkin Face font here

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm  (#6) 
Retired Staff

Testing GAP in Gimp v2.8.2, Fedora 17, Linux. Seems to be working well. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe "filter all layers" may fail on some filter

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:59 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

looks like it works just fine!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm  (#9) 
Retired Staff

PhotoComix wrote:
Maybe "filter all layers" may fail on some filter
This tut doesn't put much of a strain on GAP. It's very minimum GAP and I'll be trying some more complicated stuff with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:24 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Cool tut O, here's my go.
Maybe too fast?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 am  (#11) 
Retired Staff

Nice job, Odin. You are now officially a GAP-er! :paint

Odinbc wrote:
Maybe too fast?
Looks good to me. I think the speed is a matter of personal preference.