It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A bit of Fun GEGL Mirror Filter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Most of you experienced Gimpers will know this but I discovered this filter only recently, because GEGL has not been used widely yet. GEGL has different filters . I urge the newer members to explore these filters. This is an example for a "tie dyed" shirt. A fashion statement of the 70's. I had several tie dyed tshirts (which I dyed myself with food dyes and salt) and tie dyed silk neck ties (which I bought).

Start with a 640 x400 canvas or larger and render with clouds plasma (filter| render| clouds| plasma and make it as gentle or busy as you like. Busy tends to have more definition with the filter.
Then go to Tools| GEGL and drop down to the mirrors filter. And play with the settings . The settings apply imediately. When you get to something pleasing, save it.
Alternatively start with a well defined (sharp contours) eg a large image of Wilbur and play around or do another plasma render and use the Distort| mosaic filter to develop a sort of honeycombed image before applying the GEGL mirror filter.

This is not a very useful filter unless you are after a mirrored or somewhat kaleidoscope effect but it is a nice filter to play with if you just want to experiment. By using the zoom slider to a minimum you can get some nice textures. I did not include this step.
Have fun and dont take it too seriously.
Cheers Wbool63
ImageImageImage

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: A bit of Fun GEGL Mirror Filter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting results.
By the way, GEGL operations often hang my GIMP, especially with some filters (Linux user). I have a good machine, so I do not attribute the problem to lack of resources. Do you have the same problem?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

YAFU wrote:
Interesting results.
By the way, GEGL operations often hang my GIMP, especially with some filters (Linux user). I have a good machine, so I do not attribute the problem to lack of resources. Do you have the same problem?

Hi YAFU , yes GEGL filters in general have a problem and this filter if I ask too much , too quickly also hangs in my Linux Mint14 (X64, Gimp2.8) and also hangs in my Win 7 (x64, Gimp2.6.11). GEGL is not yet capable of reliable usage. Resource is not a problem! I run a I7 3770K cpu with 16G ram.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:34 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Far out! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:23 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Nice results wbool. I like the stained glass honeycomb.