Switch to full style
Post all your Gimp artwork and designs here
Post a reply

Shooting Star

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:53 am

Shooting stars occur so quickly and end before the blink of an eye so they are not great painting/drawing material. Digitally, there isn't much out there on creating them on a computer. A brush that just looks like a white line in the sky sums up their entire existence on the Internet, although there are millions of photos of them.

My test is "larger than life", and exaggerated, since they are merely a flash and not a comet. Is a white line enough? Does it matter? Who better to ask than the GIMP Chat gang? What say you?

No, no, please critique. The thing about art, aside from a kindergartner's crayola masterpieces (do not mistake pleasing with perfection), it is subject to everyone who looks at it. Wring this one out until it's ready to hang up.

Re: Shooting Star

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:07 am

Dynamics: velocity tapering. Stroke path emulating brush dynamics.
Like your humor :bigthup

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Nidhogg wrote:Dynamics: velocity tapering. Stroke path emulating brush dynamics.

Laughter is the best medicine.

To everyone else, I'm just weird...

Your recommendation:

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Here's a brush I made a brush a few years ago,
that I called the Gimp Comet Brush.
I can't recall if I ever posted this brush,
but here it is.

example_comet.png
example_comet.png (24.4 KiB) Viewed 7245 times

example_comet_blk.png
example_comet_blk.png (54.78 KiB) Viewed 7245 times

Comet.zip
(37.86 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks for the brush, Wallace. I was actually wanting input on how people view a shooting star, digitally. It's not a significantly important topic, however, I notice that since GIMP upgraded to 2.10, it lost some of the "ooomph" appeal with GEGL tools over Legacy. I find myself perplexed why they would replace tools with inferior processes and then leave it with both. Take Blur for instance. GEGL sucks big time. Legacy has more appeal, and yet, someone determines for everyone what tools are primary. GIMP is going in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 pm

I created this Comet, and it was easy to do. J by making a dot with the Hardness 075 brush and using the "Smudge tool" I created a tail. After that I used the "Circular Motion Blur" place the center on the head of the Comet and used an angle> 20.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Nice, Pocholo. How do you see a shooting star looking like, digitally, though?

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Hey Mahvin - I like your shooting star. The first one was good but the second one was better. Maybe consider putting a glow around the head?

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Thanks, Artloader. Less is more, I agree. I have since started adding a slight glow on my practice sessions, because, well it just seems they need one, even though I have never witnessed a shooting star with an entering glow. They just happen too quickly.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:23 pm

Searching my old External drive, I found this brush. 10 years ago I probably found this pretty cool to use.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:50 pm

mahvin wrote:
Nidhogg wrote:Dynamics: velocity tapering. Stroke path emulating brush dynamics.

Laughter is the best medicine.

To everyone else, I'm just weird...

Your recommendation:

[ Image ]

This one is the most realistic but all the others could be used in some kind of fantasy art. They are all good.
Post a reply