Switch to full style
Post all your Gimp artwork and designs here
Post a reply

WIP - Rose and Vine -MyPaint + Gimp (Update 2)

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Okey so I was gonna wait until I finished but then I figured...eh why not post my process again?
So here it is, probably not the most exciting of my pictures but it's been fun to see that the "brushes" I use represent the tools I used in traditional media, like shading with one of the marker brushes then using the pencil brush like I would irl...It's interesting to see how much I'm like myself. xD

Okay so I sketched in MyPaint, somehow sketching with a brush that represent a pencil seems more natural to me, I don't know, it's just much easier that way.

I "inked" also in MyPaint, using the pen brush (the one that looks like an inking pen in the representation picture), but instead of black I'm going for a more color based look this time, so this will be like a combination of cartoonish and my less hardlined type styles to it.

I switched to Gimp, fixed a few missed "inked" spots and used the selection, bucket, and grow, tools to color the big areas, I also got the digbat font heart that I use for all my heart Lp's (like Crystal Love and Love can Shine in the Darkness) and stretched it out then alpha selected it and shrunk by 7 pixels and deleted the middle. I made each part (rose, leave, vine, etc..) on a seperate layer so I could shade in MyPaint using the lock alpha channel making it that I don't go outside the colors, it's kind of like having it selected with the selection tool in GIMP.

As of right now, this is what I'm up to; I started shading the rose and the leaves, using one of the marker brushes for the softer shadows then the pencil brush for the fine details and such.

Update:

Okey, here's some more progress!

I worked shading the vine using once again the marker and pencil brushes, I also tried to add some other colors to shade to make the surrounding colors appear to be casting a shadow...I'm not sure how well I pulled this off but I tried all the same. :lol
I also started on the flowers shading them and also making the rose shading a little deeper as well as trying to make the green of the leaves reflect off, I don't think I like that part, I might change it. There's still much to be done but it's coming along! (all the shading is in MyPaint so far)

Update 2:
I've switched to GIMP, I added texture to everything, lighting, and more shading/shadows, and started on the wooden heart. - I'm not sure if I like the texture on the heart yet or not! :hoh
I'm almost done!

Since these are process pictures they're .jpg, once I get to more detailed I might switch to .png since they look better, I'm pretty sure the final image will be a .png.
I hope you enjoy my thread!
Suggestions welcomed I'm always opened to hear, even if I don't use it here I'll keep in a mental files to possibly open later. ;D

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Re: WIP - Rose and Vine -MyPaint + Gimp

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:26 am

Lovely work as usual Moko. I know the feeling of using a virtual pencil. I like the pencil preset in Gimp Paint Studio for loose sketching but I always use a plain round brush for a more precise drawing.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:27 am

mokonafan: i love it, moko! you get your vines and flowers so beautifully arranged, i'm not very good at that type of thing myself, so i'm a little jealous (not so much it really bothers me, though :) ) too. looking forward to seeing it finished and as usual it's fun reading how you do it.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 am

Another nicely done result Moko. Not sure if you are aware of the new inking ability of G'MIC and wonder how it would work for your drawing. See thread below. :)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discu ... 088143230/

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 am

I love your drawings Moko...you are very good at composition which means a lot in art. I am still trying to get used to the brushes in MyPaint.
Did you use colors to to your sketch? May I ask which brush you used to do that? Anyway, very lovely.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 am

Nice work Moko and I like the step by step progress.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 am

Mokonafan, Lovely detail so far, looking forward to your final result!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 am

Update in first post!!!

Erisian wrote:Lovely work as usual Moko. I know the feeling of using a virtual pencil. I like the pencil preset in Gimp Paint Studio for loose sketching but I always use a plain round brush for a more precise drawing.

Yay thank you! :D

I normally sketch with the pencil tool if I'm using MyPaint then "ink" with the "inking pen" brush, or I'll get a darker color on a new layer with the pencil tool like I would using a mechanical pencil over a normal pencil for final pencil lines before I ink/and-or color.

lylejk wrote:Another nicely done result Moko. Not sure if you are aware of the new inking ability of G'MIC and wonder how it would work for your drawing. See thread below. :)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discu ... 088143230/

Welllllll I'm not done yettt! I'm glad you like it though. :P

I've never used G'MIC so no never heard of that option. xD
I'll take a look at the thread, though! ^_^

molly wrote:I love your drawings Moko...you are very good at composition which means a lot in art. I am still trying to get used to the brushes in MyPaint.
Did you use colors to to your sketch? May I ask which brush you used to do that? Anyway, very lovely.

Oooo thank you! :clap
I'm happy you think I'm good at composition. :D

I didn't quiet understand the colors question so I'll just say what I did. xD
I used blue to do the rose, then I made a new layer for the vine I used blue for the "stem" then for the flowers I used red, I used the blue to make a circle guideline for the flower petals.

I used the darker pencil tool - there are to pictures in the brush menu in the Set #2 section for brushes of a pencil and an eye the darker of the two is what I used.

AnMal wrote:mokonafan: i love it, moko! you get your vines and flowers so beautifully arranged, i'm not very good at that type of thing myself, so i'm a little jealous (not so much it really bothers me, though :) ) too. looking forward to seeing it finished and as usual it's fun reading how you do it.

Thank you! xD :P :D
I hope you like it when it's done!

he4rty wrote:Nice work Moko and I like the step by step progress.

Odinbc wrote:Mokonafan, Lovely detail so far, looking forward to your final result!

Thank you both! :D

Re: WIP - Rose and Vine -MyPaint + Gimp (Update 1)

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you Moko. I wish I knew more what the brushes do. I have tried so many of them and there are still tons I haven't tried.
I will see how that one works for me. Kudo's

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:51 pm

You're welcome! :D

I haven't used most of them myself, I've kinda adopted the ones I liked. :lol
Which oddly are the same as things I use in traditional drawings. LOL
Creature of habit? :P

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Great job and great drawing

Very good shading

Thanks for sharing the steps to create it

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Very nice.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:15 pm

This is lovely. It reminds me of vintage tattoo's.

Re: WIP - Rose and Vine -MyPaint + Gimp (Update 2)

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Thank you for the Kind comments I'm glad it's getting such positive feedback! :D

The Last update until finish is up, the next "update" will be the finished drawing in a new clean thread!

Re: WIP - Rose and Vine -MyPaint + Gimp (Update 2)

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:19 pm

It's finished!
Link
Post a reply