Switch to full style
Post all your Gimp artwork and designs here
Post a reply

Re: Guilloche Revisited

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:15 am

G-Border.png
G-Border.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2757 times

It's nothing to write home about. However, I'm still playing with arcs/degrees using specific path shapes to create Guilloche borders similar to paper money and bank certificates. Not really interested in photo borders. Just thought I would throw this up to share the methodology. Be prepared to do some math with each path because tossing up paths willy nilly won't cut it.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:26 pm

Nice! :)

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:47 am

I forgot to mention in the help text that the walking version of Path copy rotate shift can handle compound paths as the stroked copy path.

So for example a path like the one below made up of three parts:

complex.jpg
complex.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 2731 times

... can be used.

An example outcome (same copy path scaled for four passes on two walk paths). The walk path still has to be one continuous path however.

complex_outcome.jpg
complex_outcome.jpg (610.9 KiB) Viewed 2731 times

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:11 am

The borders you folk are creating reminds me of this cool open source tool. It's called Mutiara but not a programmer so don't know how to compile it for Windows; still some cool designs at the home website. :)

http://mutiara.sourceforge.net/

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 am

Had forgotten that MareroQ compiled this; that was 2 OS re-installs ago. lololol

Still, it's been updated since then, so maybe Mario can re-compile it once again for Windows. :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12211&hilit=Mutiara

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:33 pm

lylejk wrote:Had forgotten that MareroQ compiled this; that was 2 OS re-installs ago. lololol

Still, it's been updated since then, so maybe Mario can re-compile it once again for Windows. :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12211&hilit=Mutiara

Remember the good ole days, Lyle? When we would just play and play and play with all the toys the world had to offer? We need a 48 hour/day planetary system to squeeze all this playing time in, huh?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi Lylejk.

I don't have good information.
I compiled Mutiara-0.14.0-Win-64 bit (without error messages) but the program does not work well - when I try to save or change the color it crashes (turns off).
There are various reasons - the wrong environment (file versions) or the necessary changes to the code for compilation in Windows.
Unfortunately I can't do it right.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:07 am

That's cool, Mario. More for others than myself as far as compiling the update. Not sure why open source folk don't compile for Windows; I guess us Windows users are the redheaded stepchild of the open source world. lolol

Did appreciate your earlier effort and had some fun with it as I recall, Mario. :)

edit:

And I feel Mahvin's pain as well; had to work 14 hours today (4 hours overtime so someone else can enjoy their holiday; not hard work and it was at home with a lot of dead time, but still drains the brain; lol. Can't turn down 1.5X pay for those additional 4 hours). :)

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Skinnyhouse posted an image that triggered a memory of old Swedish TV:
https://youtu.be/LSErFnQLQ00?t=24
Allegedly those were part of a working machine. What it did? Well... ;)
Post a reply