Switch to full style
Post all your Gimp artwork and designs here
Post a reply

Re: Time for something a bit different

Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:01 am

Wow, that looks real!

Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:36 am

@ Teapot - thanks; on having a second look, I think I have to agree with you. Said it before and will say it again ... can't live without BRL

Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Fire bowl.

Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:48 am

When is a mandala not a mandala; so here is a Celtic Stone mandala ... or not.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 pm

Typical Aussie sunset scene :hehe :roll:

Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:55 am

Whilst working on time consuming portraits, I sometimes play with/produce more frivolous material.

Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:29 am

My new dinner set.

Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:00 pm

As a teapot I know a bit about ceramics and I must say that's an elegant plate, regal even. Just in time for tea and scones while watching the coronation of King Charles. His invitations have intertwined flowers too (not that I got one, I just saw it in the newspapers).

Your previous image is great too. Good to see the bridge is chained off, it looks pretty hairy and there could be anything lurking in that tunnel!

Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:58 am

oldmangrumpy wrote:Whilst working on time consuming portraits, I sometimes play with/produce more frivolous material.

OMG, Wow that ground floor is :clap :clap , I mean wow! :bigthup :bigthup :jumpclap
Now the dumb question, how did you do it? I have a very slight idea like may be with "Mosaic", but the colours and texture inside how?

In all case that's a super :coolthup one

Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Teapot - thank you.

@PixLab
Re my 'frivolous material” image - thanks for your kind comments and asking “... how did you do it?”.Well, as usual with Gimp, it is all about exploring and experimenting.
So yes, to get such a result on the “ground floor” one can use the Gimp Mosaic Filter in the following manner, as it does have some really flexible parameters. I typically use a canvas of 1500 x 1500 pixels, for which the settings/processes below are applicable.

1. Choose your base colour for tiles/pavers and fill a layer with it.
2. Open the Mosaic filter and set the following parameters as shown
1. Tile Geometry – either Squares, Hexagons or Octagons – it really does not matter as we are about to distort them anyway
2. Tile Size 130
3. Tile Neatness 0.3 – this is the distorting factor
4. Tile Color Variation 0.8 – this will automatically give you a range of tile shades from the base colour
5. Tile Spacing 4.0 – this fits well with the tile size and allows easier manipulation of the grout colouring (below)
6. You could if you wanted invoke 'Rough tile surface' parameter, but I use other methods, again below.
7. Leave all other parameters at default value
8. Press OK to create a multicoloured mosaic tile layer
3. OK now for the 'clever bits!!' that allows customisation of the tile colouring, grout colour/material and tile edge bevelling.
4. Create a new transparent layer above the new mosaic layer; make it the active layer
5. Call up the Mosaic filter again and using the changed settings as in 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.5 above, and leaving all others at their default values, press OK to run the filter.
6. Because of the layers transparency, the result will actually be an outline of the tiles i.e. just showing the grout (spacing).
7. Now with these two layers available, it is easy to either select a colour from the first mosaic or selected tiles from the outline layer and on a new layer, change the colour, or texture by using colour fill, a gradient (say with Shape = Shaped Spherical), or noise or even a brush to your desire.
8. You can easily also add noise or other texture with these selections
9. Steps 7 and 8 can be repeated as required
10. Again to assist in providing a relief effect to the mosaic, using the outline layer you can easily obtain a selection of all the mosaic tiles/pavers and apply a bevel to them using Filters>Decor>Chisel or Carve.
11. Similarly using that same selection and then inverting it, you can modify the grout colour and texture.

However, to be honest, in the above 'frivolous material” image, to create the mosaic floor, I actually copied a texture from the web. :hehe :faint

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:31 am

Thank you very much, OMG, for the detailed explanations :tyspin

oldmangrumpy wrote:However, to be honest, in the above 'frivolous material” image, to create the mosaic floor, I actually copied a texture from the web. :hehe :faint

Oh Ok, IMHO you did put the right color on this texture, this makes the tiles look like real tiles :clap
Again thank you so much for your explanations :tyspin

Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:48 pm

A fantasy sunrise on our mid north coast.

Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:54 pm

oldmangrumpy wrote:A fantasy sunrise on our mid north coast.

Nice!
:paint

Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 am

OMG, a great lovely creation. it transmits peace. Thanks for sharing it.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:10 pm

Wallace and Issabella - thank you.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:34 pm

oldmangrumpy wrote:Wallace and Issabella - thank you.

You're welcome! :clap

Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:52 am

A mixture of black glass and gold

Tue May 02, 2023 3:13 am

Glossy wax mandala.

Sat May 06, 2023 3:41 pm

I made some tartan frosted glass and thought a clown face would top it off.

Wed May 17, 2023 10:39 pm

I do an early morning walk through a nearby reserve and often get treated to special sunrise scenes. I have tried to capture this morning's scene with a crescent moon, still fairly bright and framed by the large gumtrees, with a single star still just visible high in the brightening sky and a couple of cockatoos winging past.
Post a reply