It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The curious look
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:43 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

(click for DA link)

The Jester, one of my regular characters, looks at us!

A test of light. I wanted to avoid solid blacks and I also set out to use Krita's sketch-brush for as much of the work as I could get away with (so no smoothing).

Krita, some 6 hours. Used some reference to get the position of the head and the planes of the face right.
Griatch

Last edited by Griatch on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The curious look
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:17 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Griatch wrote:
[ Image ]
(click for DA link)

The Jester, one of my regular characters, looks at us!

A test of light. I wanted to avoid solid blacks and I also set out to use Krita's sketch-brush for as much of the work as I could get away with (so no smoothing).

Krita, some 6 hours. Use some reference to get the position of the head and the planes of the face right.
Griatch

Very nice as always Griatch. Her eyes look perfect. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:10 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

I like it. The look is almost one of trepidation or curious fear of what might be coming. Then again, it could be seen as curious sensuality.

It could be interpreted in various ways, all in the eye of the beholder. It's very impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:02 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

excellent!
your "paintings" are always so full of fascination, particularly this one!
I didn't resist, downloaded it and -for my own sake- played with the colours (simply using gimp filters) to get other interesting variations.
(I don't post them here: a piece of real great art cannot be ... manipulated by a gimp-er)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:46 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I adore your Jester as well as your trolls and this is an excellent painting. Her eyes are spot on! I haven't yet dared to attempt a low angle light source but I ought to try it one day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:08 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:

Thanks Wallace!

GnuTux wrote:
I like it. The look is almost one of trepidation or curious fear of what might be coming. Then again, it could be seen as curious sensuality.

It could be interpreted in various ways, all in the eye of the beholder. It's very impressive.

Glad you like it! Yes, "the curious look" could mean that she is curious or that the look it self is curious in some way - it's a deliberately chosen title.

"Curious sensuality" - I like the sound of that but I'm not fully sure what it means, care to elaborate?
dinasset wrote:
excellent!
your "paintings" are always so full of fascination, particularly this one!
I didn't resist, downloaded it and -for my own sake- played with the colours (simply using gimp filters) to get other interesting variations.
(I don't post them here: a piece of real great art cannot be ... manipulated by a gimp-er)

No worries - as long as you just link to the original, you and others are welcome to experiment and show the result of doing the 'gimper' thing with my images. Would be interesting to see what changes you'd do and the effects you can achieve! This one would get a quite different look if one were to increase the saturation, for example. :)

Erisian wrote:
I adore your Jester as well as your trolls and this is an excellent painting. Her eyes are spot on! I haven't yet dared to attempt a low angle light source but I ought to try it one day.

We as humans are not used to low-angle light so it's rather tricky to make a face look ok (we are accustomed to light coming from above). 'Tis good training though. And I like the Jester too, she makes for a good subject to experiment with and making recognizable across different images. I think this is one of the few images I've done of her when you don't see her teeth.
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Very nice. I can't fault it at all. Wonderful work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

Griatch wrote:
"Curious sensuality" - I like the sound of that but I'm not fully sure what it means, care to elaborate?

It would be a look of sensuality and longing but with an curious uncertainty about what your partner had in mind. :hehe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@Griatch
because you gave me the permission ("...No worries - as long as you just link to the original, you and others are welcome to experiment and show the result of doing the 'gimper' thing with my images..."), I post here my personal gimp variations of your fantastic image.

Attachment:
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn1.jpg
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn1.jpg [ 111 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

Attachment:
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn2.jpg
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn2.jpg [ 102.48 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

Attachment:
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn3.jpg
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn3.jpg [ 111.47 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

(continues)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:10 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

(continues from previous post)

Attachment:
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn4.jpg
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn4.jpg [ 70.36 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

Attachment:
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn5.jpg
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn5.jpg [ 69.15 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

(end....so far)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:23 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset

Cool! I'm glad you like it enough to play around with. :)

You should tell us what you did with each too! Lemme see if I can guess.

In your first image you have changed the values, made the dark parts of the image actually black. This looks rather close to my usual image style actually. Nice.

The second variation lowers saturation I think, removes a lot of red from the image at any rate. A bit cold maybe.

Third: Super-red! I like this variation, it's almost as if it was greyscale except it's well, red. She could be lit by a bright sign or something I guess.

Fourth. More contrasts, maybe burn? A little too dark I think, one's starting to loose details. On the other hand it's very dramatic.

Fifth is all blue! This is actually really cool, if the blue was a little less saturated it could look like moonlight maybe. :)

Fun to see these variations!
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Griatch for your positive comments!
Yes, I like a lot your painting, for this reason I wanted to play with Gimp filters.
Unfortunately I didn't take note of my steps (do, undo, modify parms, evaluate result...), because I thought the outcomes would have been remained only in my folder.
If I do other variations, I will note the steps made.
Thanks again for sharing your great pieces of real art!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:51 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

...for the fourth variation I was thinking at a completely dark room, with just one single weak red light
yes, details are lost, but warm charm is in...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

Wallace wrote:

For me her right eye is a bit bigger than it should be (after factoring in perspective of course)... Mask one eye and she changes: if you mask her right eye, she looks like an adult Asian, if you mask the left one, she becomes a much younger European. It could be that the right iris is a bit bigger compared to the eyelids than on the left eye.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:22 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Wallace wrote:

For me her right eye is a bit bigger than it should be (after factoring in perspective of course)... Mask one eye and she changes: if you mask her right eye, she looks like an adult Asian, if you mask the left one, she becomes a much younger European. It could be that the right iris is a bit bigger compared to the eyelids than on the left eye.

Hm, I admit I didn't spend all that much time considering the relative sizes of the irises. I'll go back and take a look at that. You could be right that her left eye's iris (our right) is a little wider by comparison. I guess one could attribute that to one iris being in light (and thus shrinking more) but while it would be awesome if I could claim to have thought of that, I didn't. :P

I'll get back to you on that one, thanks!
Griatch

PS: it's not so strange that you would see two different ages when you split the face along the nose by the way. With this perspective her left side (our right) has a much more round and compressed face, remniscent of youthful proportions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I think you nailed the expression. :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

as promised with detail of steps
new variation

Attachment:
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn6.jpg
the_curious_look_by_griatch_art-d7xg0sd.dn6.jpg [ 177.5 KiB | Viewed 1267 times ]

four layers:
from top to bottom:
- GEGL FATTAL 1.4 0.7 1 overlay mode
- GEGL REINHARD -2 0 1 then Auto-Equalize overlay mode
- GEGL REINHARD -2 0 1 hard-light
- original

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset

Wow, that variation sure shows off every little brush-stroke! I like the nice contrasts of extreme color - it takes on an almost expressionistic quality this way I think. Neat!
Griatch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:11 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Awww our little Jester friend. Hi Jester!! :hi5 :hey
I love this image, she's so cute! Like always. xD
She looks a bit more Asian in this image, which is interesting.
The colors seem a bit dull but maybe that's because it's at night without the moon shining!
Blending is nice. I love the little Jester girl. :rfy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:38 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks moko!

This is an experiment with no solid blacks, which is why the colors come across a little more dull. I usually have stronger contrasts in my images. :) It's interesting that you like the blending considering that I didn't use any smoothing-brushes but only many, many overlapping hard-edged brush strokes. Thanks for the rose. :D
Griatch