It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Work In Progress
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:08 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi all,
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have started using gimp to finish drawings I've started on paper and if nobody objects, I'd like to share my latest project as a work in progress.
The original pen and ink drawing is over 20 years old, and I never finished it then, so I'm hoping that by creating this thread it will become the spur I need to keep going on it and actually finish it.
I'd like to start with a few images showing where I've come from and the progress I've made so far.

Constructive criticism is encouraged, and I will be asking for ideas on how to create some of the elements involved.

First up, the original drawing scanned with some extra figures added in gimp....

The figure with the crown is the original, with the other two (and the tree) sketched in afterwards in GIMP

I then started on the background...

Since then I've been working on elements of the main figure.
(re-drew the skull, re-drew and finished the sword, started on the armour)

If you lot have no objections I'll upload some more as I finish them and I'll probably be asking a few questions too.

Cheers

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: A Work In Progress
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:49 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Believe me; we have NO objections at all. You have a talent that makes me extremely envious and I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:01 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I agree with Erisian. You have a lot of talent, please go on. :) :bigthup

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:26 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

:oops:
Thanks for the kind words
I will add a couple more later today probably (you will notice as this thread develops that I tend to work in a kind of haphazard way but it's mainly because I'm putting off the difficult bits :( )

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:38 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

very nice so far. Always interesting to watch WIP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:33 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

OK, just got a bit more done over my lunchbreak.
Shield almost finished, skull started, hair started (this is going to cause more than one headache I think) crown nearly finished and, at the request/suggestion of a friend, i've added a cape to further suggest movement.

I'm trying for a decayed feel (for obvious reasons) so everything is getting verdigris, mildew, rust and general dirt.

Any suggestions for good hair effects would be hugely appreciated by the way :bigthup

Cheers

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also refined the shape of the sword handle. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

The dull, decayed and dented metal effect is incredible. If I do metal, I have to make it shine or it doesn't look like metal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Any suggestions for good hair effects would be hugely appreciated by the way :bigthup

You're working at a very advanced level Jynx_TQ. I'm particularly impressed with metallic glint through the rust on the armour.
I've been known to get particular about hair (perhaps because my own seems to be disappearing) and have ventured a tutorial to that effect (A Gimp tutorial, not a tutorial on losing one's hair).
Gimp-G'MIC Hair lock Tutorial, which was engendered by this post: Hair lock test image - WASP.
Further infomation on this filter may be found at the G'MIC home page under the Hair lock filter tutorial.
Of course, the filter presupposes that you have the Gimp-G'MIC plug-in installed.
To be honest, the G'MIC-->Filtering-->Render-->Hair lock filter is a tricky beast to get the hang of, and usually requires some practice runs, each requiring a few rendering passes. If you require instant gratification, it will frustrate you, but it rewards patience and experimentation (at least I think so).
Hope this helps.
Garry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
The dull, decayed and dented metal effect is incredible. If I do metal, I have to make it shine or it doesn't look like metal.

Hi, the "decay" is all on separate layers. I have to make it shiny first too!
Here is the shield without the crud:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

grosood wrote:
Quote:

You're working at a very advanced level Jynx_TQ. I'm particularly impressed with metallic glint through the rust on the armour.
I've been known to get particular about hair (perhaps because my own seems to be disappearing) and have ventured a tutorial to that effect (A Gimp tutorial, not a tutorial on losing one's hair).
Gimp-G'MIC Hair lock Tutorial, which was engendered by this post: Hair lock test image - WASP.
Further infomation on this filter may be found at the G'MIC home page under the Hair lock filter tutorial.
Of course, the filter presupposes that you have the Gimp-G'MIC plug-in installed.
To be honest, the G'MIC-->Filtering-->Render-->Hair lock filter is a tricky beast to get the hang of, and usually requires some practice runs, each requiring a few rendering passes. If you require instant gratification, it will frustrate you, but it rewards patience and experimentation (at least I think so).
Hope this helps.
Garry

Excellent, thanks. I shall have a look at this tonight.
my images so far have all taken at least two weeks to complete, and this one is the most ambitious yet, so I'm well used to doing things again and again until I get it the way I want, so I'm sure a few trial runs won't put me off :bigthup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

famously painted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:00 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Awesome detail in your work Jynx_TQ. Hopefully in the future you can share a few of your techniques with a tutorial. :2thup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:40 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
.....Hopefully in the future you can share a few of your techniques with a tutorial....

Really? :oops:
Looking around I think there are plenty of people a lot more qualified but, yeah, once I've got a bit further with this if there's anything that people want more info on I could certainly think about putting a tut together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

OK, So i've had a little play with the hair lock filter and first impressions are favourable.
Needs a lot of tweaking to get it right but as a start this is OK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:21 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

Cool, love the Avatar too. Jynx_TQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:53 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Cool, love the Avatar too. Jynx_TQ

Thanks, it's from my project before last (which I may put on here at some point)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:03 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

The hair is looking almost too good. An old skeleton (albeit a warrior up and running) should have dry old ratty hair.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:02 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I dunno. I rather like thick hair (this could be my hair envy writing this post).

But if you think 2-ton is right (could be he does have a point) then cut back on both spread (I'd say about 0.1) and thickness (about 0.1 - 0.2) Those are the 'Ratty, Balding Guy' settings.

Garry,
A ratty, balding guy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:24 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
The hair is looking almost too good. An old skeleton (albeit a warrior up and running) should have dry old ratty hair.

I agree. it's been through 2 more incarnations since and I fully expect to have to do at least one more to get it the way I want it.
grosood wrote:
...But if you think 2-ton is right (could be he does have a point) then cut back on both spread (I'd say about 0.1) and thickness (about 0.1 - 0.2) Those are the 'Ratty, Balding Guy' settings.

Garry,
A ratty, balding guy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did play with those settings last night but not as low as that, I'll try those levels today. I suspect my final outcome will involve a combination of lower settings in hair lock, selective eraser use and a layer mask or two.

Cheers

Simon - a not so ratty balding guy but catching up fast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:07 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

A bit more done today.
Still not entirely convinced with the hair but for now it will do.

Re-drawn the teeth, finished(?) detailing the skull and started on the cloak...