It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steampunk Elf
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:15 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi all, here's an image that I created using Blender and Gimp. The character is supposed to be a sci-fi steampunk elf type guy.

My process was as follows:

1. In Blender, I built a 3D model of the scene including a humanoid model made from simple cylinders and blocks.
2. I added textures to the background and sky but left the humanoid model alone and rendered a scene with lighting and shadows.
3. In Gimp I painted over the humanoid model leaving everything else alone.

Any critique would be gratefully received, thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Steampunk Elf
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:43 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not sure how steam-punk it looks (at least how I think of steam punk) but it has very nice dimension. Good work! :D

I see him more as a Vulcan or a Romulan.

Last edited by Mokonafan on Wed May 27, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:01 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Using Blender is a useful workflow that I've never really gotten good at. You have a good cel shading effect going for the elf! If I may offer some feedback, it would be that the image would "hang together" more if you rendered/painted all of the image in a similar cel-shaded style; as it is the character doesn't quite match the smooth ground and background hills.

As Moko, I don't really sense steampunk here, I rather get a star-trek vibe from this - but that's of course a matter of definition. :)

An interesting, fun workflow worth continuing to experiment with I think!
Griatch

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hey thanks for the feedback guys :)
Yep I think you're both right about the steampunk vibe - needs more work.

@Griatch: I agree, I haven't managed to merge the 3D and 2D very well - there's a "Toonshading" feature in Blender that may work better - something to try :)

@Mokonafan: Heheh - I love your signature - maybe I'll try avoiding reality a bit more myself :)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

artloader: you've chosen nice cartoony colours for this :-). are you planning sonething along these lines for your digital comic you mentioned when you introduced yourself?
i'm sure the toonshading will work better with the character than the high texture style does, but i loved the lookof those hills - like huge velvet piles :-).

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:12 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hi AnMal, well I'm still in the investigative stages of my digital comic but these will probably be the colours I will be using yes. I may try to go for a more painted look though.