It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a cup for the quest
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

this is something i stopped working on because it wasn't going anywhere, then i thought it might work with the primary colour art prompt, then decided it didn't, then suddenly knew how to finish. it's a picture with a hint of story, so i put it in an illuminated manuscript :). the title isn't obvious perhaps - the quest is a quest in an old medieval romance of some kind, and the cup is the goblet the lady keeps on the table by her side - it's up to the person on the quest whether they take it or not.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: a cup for the quest
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:42 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Seems you've gotten better with bugs, there are some bugs in this and you aren't bothered. That's good!
I like this style a lot! It looks like it would be a scene from a movie or something. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

That is beautiful Anmal - I just made a comment elsewhere about escapism and it looks like this image/story fits that description.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:38 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You put a lot of work into this and you have achieved a beautiful result. I was surprised when you told me that you added her clothes yourself and even made the belt. You are extremely talented at collages and this is a piece to be proud of!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:08 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

we have been missing for a while your excellent art creativity, glad to have you back as a primary contributor to Gimp Art, very nicely done!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:41 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

sorry it's taking me so long to thank you all for your comments - seems like there's just so much else to comment on and reply to whenever i log in! i also noticed some things i needed to correct in the image and was wondering if i should keep from replying til i had the updated image - but i was too impatient in the end.
moko: hmm... it's probably because i now have a personal bug catcher, who's always at my service. that makes me feel a bit safer around those creepy-crawlies :). i like this style a lot too, i love it when my pictures look like they are from a story. the original that i started with probably is from a movie - what i started with was a picture of drew barrymore behind that oddly shaped door, wearing a blue ball gown with some sort of relief pattern in the fabric. the background was difficult to interpret, so i just took it away and added my own and the ball gown is not recognisable after what i did to it - almost feel sorry for it :hehe .
oldmangrumpy: thank you! you know what? i read that stuff about escapism in your snakemoon post and i thought immediately about this image :). yes, gimping takes me places too.
erisian: you are so sweet! thank you, coffee man :smooch by now you know just how slow i am too! you were still in england when i started this.
dinasset: thank you, that's very nice words to hear!

edit: here's the update now! i corrected the edges of the dress on the right hand side, where the old lighting was still visible, i fixed the upper part of the door where it was a bit too short, and i added a small black frame to all of the main picture because it looked better with the illumination that way.

Last edited by AnMal on Sat May 30, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:54 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Very nice Anmal. As dinasset says. I hope we get to see more of you now.
Personal bug catcher! So that's what I need?
Won't make me any better at art I know but it might keep me from checking for spiders all the time.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:10 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne: thank you :). wow, so you check for spiders all the time too? i don't have to now, i have a fiancé who keeps me safe from the eight legged beasts! the best of all is that he doesn't have to use the vacuum cleaner on them, he very humanely just takes them out the door, something i would never dare.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:37 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

AnMal wrote:
sallyanne: thank you :). wow, so you check for spiders all the time too?i don't have to now, i have a fiancé who keeps me safe from the eight legged beasts! the best of all is that he doesn't have to use the vacuum cleaner on them, he very humanely just takes them out the door, something i would never dare.

I do in my clothes before I put them on and especially my bedroom before i go to sleep at night.