It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Internal Conflict
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:59 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Those who are familiar with my Am 'Athir series will recall Loga, the unusually thoughtful daemon warrior who rescued the abandoned drow child and took her to Bloodwood forest to be brought up by the dark elves. ( http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6860&hilit=loga+the+daemon+warrior#p86340 ) Loga has all the normal traits of a daemon but frequently wrestles with her conscience. Here she is on one of her lonely walks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Internal Conflict
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:48 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

erisian: i really shouldn't be the first to comment, i know, but this one's so amazing!

:ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy :ffy

that's how much i like it and how much i like what's going on in your paintings right now. you're exploring things and experimenting and you're just getting better all the time! i really enjoy seeing loga in her natural surroundings and i'm glad you kept from overworking this one, it could have lost so much by that.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:01 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

She is really terrific Eisian; for relative newbies like me it is also good to catch up with your past posts, so thanks for the reference.

Now just by coincidence (and this is true), we had a family lunch at Bloodwood in Newtown yesterday just on the fringe of the city. The food and the waiters were excellent but, thinking back now, I am certain I saw some 'dark elves' scurrying around under our table!

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:10 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Again, cool to have some real traditional artist here at GIMPChat. Thanks for sharing Erisian. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:54 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

oldmangrumpy wrote:
She is really terrific Eisian; for relative newbies like me it is also good to catch up with your past posts, so thanks for the reference.

Now just by coincidence (and this is true), we had a family lunch at Bloodwood in Newtown yesterday just on the fringe of the city. The food and the waiters were excellent but, thinking back now, I am certain I saw some 'dark elves' scurrying around under our table!

Thank you OMG. For background, you might want to see this. http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7002 Maybe you came across Sharadil when you were there? ;)

lylejk wrote:
Again, cool to have some real traditional artist here at GIMPChat. Thanks for sharing Erisian. :)

Thank you again Lyle. :)

AnMal wrote:
erisian: i really shouldn't be the first to comment, i know, but this one's so amazing!

that's how much i like it and how much i like what's going on in your paintings right now. you're exploring things and experimenting and you're just getting better all the time! i really enjoy seeing loga in her natural surroundings and i'm glad you kept from overworking this one, it could have lost so much by that.

Thank you AnMal. You are a large part of my inspiration and if you had never encouraged me to build stories, this painting would never have happened. :ffy :heart

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:10 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Congrats Erisian, You got a fantastic job there. :hi5 :coolthup

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:41 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Nice one Erisian. :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:31 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I know it's for atmosphere but I think there is a bit too much dark brown. And since the light is coming from behind I think a little bit of light "outlining" the back of the character would make her easier to see. As it is now the face being so dark the clothes and the wings being so dark then dark mountains it seems a little over-whelming. And the torso seems a little stiff, especially for a female. Though being another "spices" they might not be so curvy.

Overall all the elements are nice! I like the background a little more than the character but the character is well done too. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:07 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you everybody for your comments
Moko: I can see what you mean in all points and I always consider and respect the points you make, but in this case I disagree with you. Here is how I see it: If you were in the mountains painting a picture of a green/brown creature in green/brown clothes and black armour in the sunset, what colour would you paint the scene? I like to be more realistic than "arty" when I paint and reality isn't always the way we would like it to be. I played with the idea of backlighting but couldn't make it work so consoled myself that such lighting rarely occurs in nature and besides, I think it makes Loga look even more lonely having her dimmed by the evening sun. Her torso is stiff because she is wearing stiffened leather armour which protects her like plate armour. I agree the landscape is better than the character which is strange because it's the first serious landscape I have painted. Thank you for your observations. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:47 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

I love the atmosphere and the background very much Eris. I think your landscapes are getting very good and should should do more of them.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:25 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian : I want to add my congrats for the splendid painting!
I am in love with your landscape more than the figure!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:48 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you both. I am also more pleased with the landscape than the figure but I think they work best together. This is the first time I have painted a figure in a full environment and I am extremely pleased with the results. This painting is now my desktop wallpaper. It's not the greatest painting in the world because I'm not the greatest artist in the world but achieving a result like this has given me a lot of pleasure. I am writing a PDF book called "Tales From Am 'Athir" and some of my paintings will be used so I might keep future paintings in this series back and not display them here. I might be making diversions in painting style that I will continue to post here though. We'll see how things go.