It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stranger In The Woods
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:35 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Because of the difference between my screen and other screens, I gave this to AnMal to adjust for me. I have posted both my original and the adjusted one. Could you please let me know which looks best.

ORIGINAL

ADJUSTED

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Stranger In The Woods
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The direction of the eyes looks a little like she's trying to not pass out...it's a little creepy actually. Lol
The rest is okay.

I like the first one better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:02 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

moko: will you be a veeery helpful girl and tell us why you like the top one best? you see, on my screen that one looks like it's missing most of the subtle midtones and it looks far too dark. on erisian's screen the bottom one looks too bright and like it's lacking in contrast. also, the top one looks a bit too green on my screen, if i look at her eyewhites they have a sick green tone.

erisian:du är bäst :hi5 i have a very special feeling about this one, since you really managed to not overwork it and loose the original expression. i also like the renaissance feel to it - as if the pigments had aged over centuries and the varnish gone more opaque.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:49 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I agree with moko, I like the top one, the bottom one seems a bit drab color-wise. Also, I think the eye does look unusual, the iris starts a bit high from the lower lid and shows too much white down there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:04 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

thanks for the input, it sounds like both me and erisian need to look over our display settings but mine seems to be most off. erisian is a bit tired now because i made him work really hard when we had people over, but i'm sure he'll be in when he's recovered. if he ever does, he had a lot of washing up and tidying and coffee serving and entertaining to do....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:21 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
thanks for the input, it sounds like both me and erisian need to look over our display settings but mine seems to be most off. erisian is a bit tired now because i made him work really hard when we had people over, but i'm sure he'll be in when he's recovered. if he ever does, he had a lot of washing up and tidying and coffee serving and entertaining to do....

And it was a lot of fun. :)

Thank you all for your comments. I should adjust the eyes. All the tree foliage was created using GPS texture brush and the foreground bush using GPS leaves brush.

This wasn't designed to be a technical thread so people can comment on the picture itself if they like. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:51 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I prefer the top one too. Other looks far to light.
Great picture :paint otherwise.

@AnMal you let him serve coffee???!!

I think I might have another...last one for the day ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:34 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne: what can a poor helpless tea drinker do, surrounded by a whole horde of coffee drinkers? i had to let him give them their poison, who knows what they might get up to otherwise! :hehe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I like the bottom one a bit better. The lower contrast seems to give it a bit more of a fantasy feel than the top, although I think the bottom could use just a bit more contrast in the darker areas.

Unfortunately, I think everyone will be seeing the pair of paintings on slightly different monitors. Even if we assumed no personal preferences factored in, I think you're unlikely to get consistent responses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:06 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
moko: will you be a veeery helpful girl and tell us why you like the top one best? you see, on my screen that one looks like it's missing most of the subtle midtones and it looks far too dark. on erisian's screen the bottom one looks too bright and like it's lacking in contrast. also, the top one looks a bit too green on my screen, if i look at her eyewhites they have a sick green tone.

It looks more contrast and not so washed out to me.
Other one might have more midtones, but the color overall looks flat. The shading looks good but the colors themselves...to me anyway. What do I know? :lol