It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revisiting old work
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:36 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

When I joined Gimp Chat, I posted one of my first digital paintings, Nature Spirit ( http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3931&hilit=nature+spirit#p48338 ) I liked the painting but wanted to improve it so I opened the old one and started making adjustments.

I wanted the shadow around the eyes from the original so I opened the original as a layer, added an alpha channel and erased all but the shadow. I reduced the opacity a little because it was too dark.

I decided to try the same with another oldie - In A Puff Of Smoke ( http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3938&p=48485&hilit=in+a+puff+of+smoke#p48439 ) but decided to do it from scratch rather than work on the original. The puff of smoke turned into the fires of Hell though...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Revisiting old work
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Erisian - welcome back; I am in absolute awe at the moody faces you paint and just how much dark character I can read into them. :paint

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Erisian, I think you must have been abducted by Aliens in the past. :D

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:44 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

erisian: i love watching your revisiting old work adventures. i thought at first that i would always end up liking the early version best, but i know now that i will always end up liking them in different ways and seeing different things in them. i hope you still enjoy making them, though, and haven't started seeing them as a task.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Love Nature Spirit. The second one reminds of my image of Golum as he looked during the years in which he was transforming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:47 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

oldmangrumpy wrote:
Erisian - welcome back; I am in absolute awe at the moody faces you paint and just how much dark character I can read into them. :paint

Too much praise... :oops: :tyspin

AnMal wrote:
erisian: i love watching your revisiting old work adventures. i thought at first that i would always end up liking the early version best, but i know now that i will always end up liking them in different ways and seeing different things in them. i hope you still enjoy making them, though, and haven't started seeing them as a task.

I'm kind of fond of the original Nature Spirit and my rework eliminated the intense stare of the original sadly, but technically the new version is an improvement and shows how my skills have developed over four years, encouraged by GC members comments and criticisms. When painting becomes a task, I'll give it up!!! :)

Odinbc wrote:
Erisian, I think you must have been abducted by Aliens in the past. :D

Hold on - I've just got to remove this metal thing from my tooth... :hehe

jazzon wrote:
Love Nature Spirit. The second one reminds of my image of Golum as he looked during the years in which he was transforming!
I would love to see :paint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian I meant "mental image" I am no artist. I joined here for the knowledge available on scripting, where I am learning and strive to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:46 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry jazzon, I thought you had painted something. I hope you are doing well with your scripting learning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:52 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Yes actually, all goes well. You just happen to be the only one to inquire directly for something of min, so this is the first time it has come up. Nothing to apologize for. It's all good!