It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: By the River bank
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

(Click for DA version)

Inspired by this week's Deviant-Deadlines challenge "Serene world". A study in water you might say. Some 3 hours of total work time.
Comments and feedback appreciated as always!
Griatch

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: By the River bank
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Awesome, as always, Griatch. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

That one big rock (left center), i wanna just pick it up and chuck it. :lol
It looks that real to me Griatch - nicely composed
Even the lighting is spectacular, as well as the coloring choices of the leaf, and rocks.
Just superb as usual.

Do you use solely Gimp and MyPaint for all your work?

Sorry to change the subject, but any idea when GimpTalk will be stable again?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
That one big rock (left center), i wanna just pick it up and chuck it. :lol
It looks that real to me Griatch - nicely composed
Even the lighting is spectacular, as well as the coloring choices of the leaf, and rocks.
Just superb as usual.

Do you use solely Gimp and MyPaint for all your work?

I had a nifty screencast of making this, but alas the program messed up on me and I lost the entire 3-hour recording. :(
Yes, I use MyPaint for all my painting work, then moves things over to GIMP for final compositioning and adjustments. I remember trying Alchemy some time back, but I don't think I've used any other programs for my art in several years.

Quote:
Sorry to change the subject, but any idea when GimpTalk will be stable again?
GT staff is just as worried about the site downtimes as the rest of you guys, alas we have no influence on the server hardware. At least we are back in contact with the site admins now, after a long spell of silence supposedly due to a lot of work on their part. They tell me that they have bought a brand new server and that the forum software is to be upgraded - but don't quote me on this, best wait to see it actually happening before getting our hopes up. ;)
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:16 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I would have loved to have watched that screencast.
Do you record a lot of your work?I would be interested in watching your recordings for sure. :)

Thanks for the input on the GimpTalk site, we are pretty worried.I think i can speak for all of us when i say i would hate to see an excellent tutorial forum get lost in the system somewheres.Good to know they may be getting you up and running with new equipment.I believe though they (the Admins), or owners should give you guys FTP access at the very minimum in case of emergencies like this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 am  (#6) 
Retired Staff

The river is waiting for the rains to swell its banks and wash away the collection of accumulated debris.

I love it. Mud and stones, and the rotting orange leaf trapped among the rocks. It gives me a feeling of expectancy. I want to put a stick in the shallow water and stir the muddy silt and watch it swirl.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

We live down the street from a park, and I have walked by such a scene many times over. It is an excellent rendition and I looked for some little thing I could pick on, lol. The only things I can offer is that maybe some of the rocks that are peeking through the water could have more varied shapes, not quite so many round ones, and could be a wee bit sharper, as the leaf is very crisp and sharp. But that is such nitpicking, and it's excellent and very realistic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 pm  (#8) 
Former Member

Another great job bro!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:59 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the nice comments!
Rod wrote:
I would have loved to have watched that screencast.
Do you record a lot of your work?I would be interested in watching your recordings for sure.

I did put up another few recordings, now that I've figured out what I did wrong with this one. :)
Oregonian wrote:
Mud and stones, and the rotting orange leaf trapped among the rocks. It gives me a feeling of expectancy. I want to put a stick in the shallow water and stir the muddy silt and watch it swirl.

That's an interesting interpretation. I must admit I didn't expect this to inspire expectation - a will to action, considering the calm mood I aimed for here.
2-ton wrote:
It is an excellent rendition and I looked for some little thing I could pick on, lol. The only things I can offer is that maybe some of the rocks that are peeking through the water could have more varied shapes, not quite so many round ones, and could be a wee bit sharper, as the leaf is very crisp and sharp.

Yes, I've gotten this critique from other sources as well; There are those that feel quite strongly about it too - liking the leaf but really disliking the look of the water for the very reason that the stones look too symmetric. I do plan to go back to tweak the leaf a bit, not sure if I'll add more randomness to the stones along the way, we'll see. Thanks for the feedback!
mikethedj4 wrote:
Another great job bro!
Thanks!

Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:02 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

You are just too good mate :D, keep up the great Work, look forward to seeing anything with the Name Griatch on it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Heh, thanks, glad you like it! :D
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Got anymore you would like to share? I always enjoy your work.