It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Different comic book coloring...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:57 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I wanted to take a break from my other hobby, 3D modeling and I also wanted to try something new with comic book style. Coloring is a bit wonky, but that was kind of purposeful... :hehe .

Quite a collection of open source free applications were used here: Karbon (KDE vector app, "inking"), Blender Freestyle, (3D app with Freestyle line renderer, background), Gimp 2.7.1 (coloring, general 2D) and Inkscape (vector app, speech bubble & text).

Also the font (Laffayette Comic Pro) and brushes (PS brushes by Chris Wahl) were freeware.

Was fun to do.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Different comic book coloring...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:22 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I like it. :) Although the characters look somewhat unfinished. Which I am guessing was intentional?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:04 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah I have to agree the charactors do look un-finished, mainly because they both could use some clothes... in my thought.

I do like the background, it has quite a bit of depth, although the shading is sorda backwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:28 am  (#4) 
Retired Staff

Well done! When can we expect to see your cartoons in the newspaper? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

"Blender Freestyle", is that some special take on Blender or a special mode or similar?

The background, including the colouring is not bad. The characters do feel a bit out of place, but it's just a test so ... I'd be interested in a more comprehensive summary of the steps you did. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for comments, folks!

I was trying something more painterly approach, so I was deliberately messy. :rofl

I think my usual style is a bit too clinical.

@mahvin: Yes, that was deliberately shoddy, but I think this kind of boundary search is useful, I'm learning new things.

@Willy: This kind of superhero style is admittedly like body-painting exercise. And I agree that the lighting is... creative. :hehe

@Oregonian: Griatch will be there first, I'm sure. I very much amateur.

@Griatch: Yes, Freestyle is "flavor" of Blender which can make really nice line rendering. GraphicAll has compilations, if you want to check it. It probably will be included in official Blender release somewhere near 2.6 release.

For step-by-step, how many times I need to write oops-not-that-oops-not-that-either-oops-wow? :rofl

Basically I scanned my pencils with XSane. Then I traced ("inked") characters with Karbon. I used Karbon just because I like the feel of the line. Inkscape or Gimp can do the same. Then I quickly whacked a 3D model of the background and line-rendered it with Freestyle postprocessing engine.
I combined the parts and begin coloring with Gimp. I used grungiest brushes I found. It's very nice that Gimp can use Photoshop brushes because the Internet is full of those... Then, after all that, I just slapped speech bubble and text on in Inkscape.

Summa summarum: There's huge amount of tools floating around, I recommend having fun with as many as you can. That way you can find those you like most. Gimp has such large set of features, that I at least find something nice every time I use it. (Did you know you can perspective transform paths? I must try THAT sometimes...)