It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Monochrome (for the RAP)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:27 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

New version, after feedback:
Old version:
(Click for DA version)

A sketch for this week's "Monochrome" Random Art Prompt. From my Where Red Apples Lie comic. I don't think I ever portrayed the Unknown Girl with less clothes before (I don't think this would be considered NSFW, let me know if so).

Update: After excellent feedback, I did several updates to the anatomy and "feel" of this image. Check it out!
Griatch

Last edited by Griatch on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Red Monochrome (for the RAP)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I visualized her less muscular and younger, but perhaps she has grown over the years! Are those scars on her back?...hard to determine that on a small phone screen, but if so, that is sad that she had to endure thrashings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:48 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It's the first time I do not like one of your works, Griatch.
Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

@2ton

Aye, she's pretty worse for wear, her having scars doesn't necessarily mean someone gave her a trashing though... she has only one leg after all, that must have happened at some point. As for her muscles, I picture you develop quite the upper body strength when living an active life with only one leg.
Her age was always somewhat fleeting, I have depicted her at various apparent ages over the years, makes for goods practice. :)

@dinasset

That is perfectly fine, not everyone can like everything the same. Just saying that is not very useful to me though, could you elaborate more on what you don't like and why?
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

My only problem with the image is that it's so much better than I can do!
Seriously, it may be a little emotional, but artistically I think it's excellent

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:12 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
@2ton

@dinasset

That is perfectly fine, not everyone can like everything the same. Just saying that is not very useful to me though, could you elaborate more on what you don't like and why?
Griatch

Aesthetically I don't like the overall figure, but this is a question of personal taste.
Technically (and here maybe I can be of a little help) the position of the turned face and the shoulders is not correct IMO: every time one turns from the back the head to the left more or less automatically the right shoulder moves forwards (and the left one also maybe a bit backwards).
I was looking for an image to better explain what I can't precisely say in words, the attached images are not exactly what I was looking for but I post it here, if they can help.
Attachment:
6f74a2aa-1eec-4ac2-993e-72b683f12567.jpg
6f74a2aa-1eec-4ac2-993e-72b683f12567.jpg [ 13.99 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]

Attachment:
bar-refaeli-540x620.png
bar-refaeli-540x620.png [ 318.42 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]

Attachment:
persona-di-spalle-che-gira-il-viso_R.jpg
persona-di-spalle-che-gira-il-viso_R.jpg [ 11.66 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

I agree with Dinasset that the head looks a bit bolted on. In addition, the right arm looks too thin, and too round at the elbow, and I would expect the heel (no need to tell which side :)) to flatten out on the ground. As it is, it looks made of wood.

The scars do elicit questions. I would expect the girl to have fight scars (mostly on the front, then). Scars on the back are usually due to passive beating, and tend to be parallel, not random as they are here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:04 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

It's a difficult exercice here ! I see some problems of proportions. Right arm is to small, head too ? But the idea is very good ! Don't give up !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Very nice Griatch. Thought it was from 'where red apples lie' ;) .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:02 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoMaster wrote:
My only problem with the image is that it's so much better than I can do!
Seriously, it may be a little emotional, but artistically I think it's excellent

Heh, thanks, there is always room for improvement though, as evidenced by this thread. :)

dinasset wrote:
Griatch wrote:
@2ton

@dinasset

Griatch

Aesthetically I don't like the overall figure, but this is a question of personal taste.
Technically (and here maybe I can be of a little help) the position of the turned face and the shoulders is not correct IMO: every time one turns from the back the head to the left more or less automatically the right shoulder moves forwards (and the left one also maybe a bit backwards).
I was looking for an image to better explain what I can't precisely say in words, the attached images are not exactly what I was looking for but I post it here, if they can help.
Attachment:
6f74a2aa-1eec-4ac2-993e-72b683f12567.jpg

Attachment:
bar-refaeli-540x620.png

Attachment:
persona-di-spalle-che-gira-il-viso_R.jpg

Excellent feedback, just what I was looking for, thankyou! I have changed the structure of her shoulders a bit (which also makes her a little less "beefy" over the shoulders) and rotated the upper torso more, check it out,

ofnuts wrote:
I agree with Dinasset that the head looks a bit bolted on. In addition, the right arm looks too thin, and too round at the elbow, and I would expect the heel (no need to tell which side :)) to flatten out on the ground. As it is, it looks made of wood.

The scars do elicit questions. I would expect the girl to have fight scars (mostly on the front, then). Scars on the back are usually due to passive beating, and tend to be parallel, not random as they are here.

Good points, as usual. I have now updated her arm and elbow - those joints are damn tricky to get right in perspective! Hopefully her head should fit better along with the changes to the shoulders and also by making the neck blend a little more into the chin. I also went and flattened out her foot more, she certainly looks much more "grounded" now; I guess that makes sense since all of her weight is on that one foot.

As for the scars, there are many ways to get scars like this. Rolling in broken glass, through barbed wires, thorns, even backstabs with smaller blades. The possibilities are endless.

Or like my Jester would say if she had scars like this and someone asked her about it: "That's what you get for doing cartwheels in a library - the paper cuts are terrible!"

Fran6 wrote:
It's a difficult exercice here ! I see some problems of proportions. Right arm is to small, head too ? But the idea is very good ! Don't give up !

Thanks! Studies like these are good for practicing anatomy in perspective.

sallyanne wrote:
Very nice Griatch. Thought it was from 'where red apples lie' ;) .

Thanks, yep, that leg is something of a giveaway... ;)
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:05 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

Griatch wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

Good points, as usual. I have now updated her arm and elbow - those joints are damn tricky to get right in perspective! Hopefully her head should fit better along with the changes to the shoulders and also by making the neck blend a little more into the chin. I also went and flattened out her foot more, she certainly looks much more "grounded" now; I guess that makes sense since all of her weight is on that one foot.

Head, heel and elbow are better, but I'm still a bit unhappy with the general perspective of the right arm. Given the position of the crutches her right arm is quite extended to the side and to the back (try it, the position isn't that comfortable) so we should see most/all of her upper arm.