It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WIP Art Deco/80s design
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This was a thing I was working on for the last few days. An attempt to blend Art Deco and 80s influenced aesthetics. I'd like to believe I am almost finished but I still have to add some finishing touches and i'm considering centering the towers and the logo (and finding some public domain art deco patterns)

Fonts used are Herald Square and Copasetic NF Bold. Towers were inspired by the ones seen at a Chicago's World Fair poster, the Top and Bottom patterns were based off Geometric patterns like in the Great Gastby (and the texture for them is from http://myfreetextures.com/) and the "Cosmos" text is in a font I wanted to be distinctly Art Deco. The 80s element come in the other font, space background, "floor" and the text above the Cosmos text (and the Penrose triangle).

I want to hear your opinions on this so far

Last edited by Hesperius on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: WIP Art Deco/80s design
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The bottom fence blends too much with the glowing floor in my opinion.
Maybe it could be dark? In a way that this side would be shadowed. Or both fences 1-colored?
I like the impossible triangle :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nidhogg wrote:
The bottom fence blends too much with the glowing floor in my opinion.
Maybe it could be dark? In a way that this side would be shadowed. Or both fences 1-colored?
I like the impossible triangle :bigthup

I'll see what I can do about the bottom frame. It should be a bit easy as they are technically one colored anyway :P

Speaking which I'll considering removing the gradient overlay for a pure gold foil effect as well.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

If double posting is okay I have an update on this

Some details were changed/redone due to a result of scaling ruining the layers (lets just say I don't trust Cubic to keep the quality while scaling). I am currently deliberating what to add to the middle of the Penrose triangle, if I should keep the bottom "fence" and how I can add the sparkles around the metal text. (and I found a more fitting background for the retrowave aspect from pixabay)

The extra blue and green on the bottom pattern was unintentional and will be fixed, for those wondering.

2nd Update: I'm mostly finished the design.

Last edited by Hesperius on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Somehow I feel this design is too complicated and I can't detect the main focus part and the main focused color here. If this is use in a wild bar then I guess it's legit but in other fields, I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:28 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Antonio94 wrote:
Somehow I feel this design is too complicated and I can't detect the main focus part and the main focused color here. If this is use in a wild bar then I guess it's legit but in other fields, I'm not so sure.

I see, would centering the logo and buildings help with the focus?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hesperius wrote:
Antonio94 wrote:

I see, would centering the logo and buildings help with the focus?

Yes everything should be well centered. Also i would add a tiny black or darker purple shadow behind that bottom fence to make it pop a bit more. Just offset it a tiny bit. Did you get the impossible triangle idea from Nicks Logos? I like that a lot for retro design. Fits well. I would lose the towers myself. They really draw the eye away from the triangle. Unless you place them both on either side of the logo. Maybe one on each side to frame the logo itself. The color scheme is well thought out in my opinion also. Good choice of colors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:42 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Yes everything should be well centered. Also i would add a tiny black or darker purple shadow behind that bottom fence to make it pop a bit more. Just offset it a tiny bit. Did you get the impossible triangle idea from Nicks Logos? I like that a lot for retro design. Fits well. I would lose the towers myself. They really draw the eye away from the triangle. Unless you place them both on either side of the logo. Maybe one on each side to frame the logo itself. The color scheme is well thought out in my opinion also. Good choice of colors.

Yes I got the idea from Nick's Logos. I have removed the bottom fence as even with the shadow I don't think it contrasted well.

The towers are one of the Art Deco elements I was trying to retain. But I do have made it so that the 2nd idea (having two sets to frame the logo) can be easily done. I'll get to work on that ASAP. And thank you.

UPDATE: as per the suggestions. I had changed it to this (and since adding the thumbnail changed the triangle a bit due to anti-aliasing issues):

What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:31 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Great work! I liked the bottom fence. What you may want to try is:

1) Alpha to select on the bottom fence
2) Select to path
3) On a new top layer Stroke path with black (1 or 2 pixels)
4) Adjust the transparency of the new layer.

This should allow you to adjust the "apparent" contrast, to the level you like.

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoMaster wrote:
Great work! I liked the bottom fence. What you may want to try is:

1) Alpha to select on the bottom fence
2) Select to path
3) On a new top layer Stroke path with black (1 or 2 pixels)
4) Adjust the transparency of the new layer.

This should allow you to adjust the "apparent" contrast, to the level you like.

It works. Thanks. :)