It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shrike foot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

(click for DA version)

This I made for a gift card. The line art and rough color key was done on my Android Tablet using an app called "Painter". I then colored and finalized in Krita.

Comments and critique appreciated as usual.
Griatch

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Shrike foot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:48 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Pretty good perspective work, Griatch; felt like she almost kicked my head. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Another good one Griatch :paint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:43 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Reminds me of the anime Ghost in the Shell's main character.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

The right foot thrown at our face makes us overlook the other one... The right one has cute staggered toes (even if a bit wide IMHO), and the left one looks like a frog foot that has lost its webbing? Other things that I don't like much: the left hand fingers seem a bit big; the right calf is very thick, or the back of the knee very thin; and the right instep is a bit thick and misplaced (looks attached to the middle of the foot, like in a Disney character).

Otherwise, face, hair and torso are perfect, and I love the way you transition from nothing to a full clothing (no visible collar...).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

The bottom foot looks more like a monkeys foot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I think it's a great image Griatch. I like the simplicity of it. I would be happy with the left hand and probably most of the things people have mentioned. There are people who can spread their toes like that but I don't know if, as a painting, it is convincing to most viewers? As Ofnuts said, the transition from skin to clothing is very interesting. Nice work as usual!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:06 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the comments!

lylejk wrote:
Pretty good perspective work, Griatch; felt like she almost kicked my head. lol

:)

Thanks, this perspective was actually pretty tricky, I did a bunch of experimentation.

Wallace wrote:
Reminds me of the anime Ghost in the Shell's main character.

Huh, first time I hear there may be a similarity to Motoko Kusanagi. What do you think is similar?

ofnuts wrote:
The right foot thrown at our face makes us overlook the other one... The right one has cute staggered toes (even if a bit wide IMHO), and the left one looks like a frog foot that has lost its webbing? Other things that I don't like much: the left hand fingers seem a bit big; the right calf is very thick, or the back of the knee very thin; and the right instep is a bit thick and misplaced (looks attached to the middle of the foot, like in a Disney character).

Otherwise, face, hair and torso are perfect, and I love the way you transition from nothing to a full clothing (no visible collar...).

Thanks for the comments! Some good points. I don't agree with the frog-foot thing nor the instep of the foot but I'll look at it some more too see if I agree then. :) As for spreading the left toes, I intended this to be due to her moving the foot along the floor and thus 'dragging behind'. I do agree that the back of the knee comes across as too thin, which in turn makes the calf appears too thick - I think the outline is fine but I overdid the shading/shadow of the inside of the knee, making it look like it's less attached than it is. I hear you on the left hand fingers. The problem here is one of perspective - we are seeing the fingers of her left hand almost straight on. The foreshadowing causes the lower, thicker sections of the fingers be visible around the thinner tips. I probably didn't shade that convincingly enough to show that depth.
The collar transition was something that came naturally due to the position of her head here; I didn't think much about it but fun that several people seem to like that detail. :)

Norseman143 wrote:
The bottom foot looks more like a monkeys foot

I respectfully disagree. :) I can at least move my toes like that when barefoot and in contact with a floor.

Erisian wrote:
I think it's a great image Griatch. I like the simplicity of it. I would be happy with the left hand and probably most of the things people have mentioned. There are people who can spread their toes like that but I don't know if, as a painting, it is convincing to most viewers? As Ofnuts said, the transition from skin to clothing is very interesting. Nice work as usual!

Thanks! I was considering making a more complex background but thought, in the end, that her lines worked better if I just kept things white and featureless. Yes, people can indeed move their feet like that (as mentioned, I tested it myself when painting this) but I guess it's not the best artistic choice if it detracts from other components and draws the eye away. The left hand is tricky due to its perspective, might go back to that.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 am  (#9) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Griatch wrote:
Huh,
first time I hear there may be a similarity to Motoko Kusanagi.
What do you think is similar?

I think it's the bodysuit and her Asian looking features.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

@Wallace: Thanks for elaborating. :)
Griatch