It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My new SSD Hynix 256G drive came in today.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:25 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Decided to go the cache route instead of taking hours to clone. I'm using PrimoCache to turn my new SSD into a cache drive. Thus far, I'm already noticing significant differences (like if I run GIMP again, it launches around 4 times faster). My VMs (typing this now in my XP Sandbox) is also running faster and I'm hearing my HDD less and less. I will be buying PrimoCache soon (30 day trial) and that's for sure. Anyway, had to work 6 hours last night (so only work up 2.5 hours ago; mail came in an hour after that and now I'm actually up an running with my new revamped PC which I hope stays relevant for at least another 4 years (6 years old now; after 10 years it indeed will be time for a new PC; lol). Just felt like good news need to be shared. :)

edit:

Am noticing some issues with GIMP when I have CREdge opened since I'm using 4096M L1 cache setting. Could lower this, but, I think I'm going to splurge for an additional 16Gs of RAM (can have as much as 32Gs with my system, but 28Gs fine; lol). Will be my next purchase using Uncle Sam money. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: My new SSD Hynix 256G drive came in today.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:53 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to the world of SSD.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

My Gimp launches in 3 seconds or less, but I'm running Linux on a 256 GB SSD. I'm running SSD's on all my computers as it gave them new life, especially my 14 year-old laptop....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:15 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Indeed; I just went ahead and bought PrimoCache. Damn, this program actually works. My system, as I perceive it, is 4 times faster at the tasks that I normally do (no joke). If I had an MB that supported Optane, I would have purchased a 32G optain board since PrimoCache will even allow AMD systems to use Optane. There are cheaper (and similar) programs to PrimoCache, but at $29.95, it ain't breaking the bank and ease of use is a huge factor. I've not really tweaked it yet; pretty much only added L1/L2 cache and a few settings I saw as I was reading about PrimoCache the past 2 weeks. What using the SSD as a cache drive does for me is save me the pain of imaging my original drive. I literally upgraded my system in less than 15 minutes. This is the way to go for an old 6 year old system like I have. :)

And you Ninja'd me, racer-x. :ninja lol

Yeah, GIMP still takes around 20 to 30 seconds on my system, but I do have a lot of crap that loads along with the GIMP. If I took out user filter and darktable for instance, my bet is GIMP would load in about 3 to 5 seconds too (and when I first installed GIMP before adding all this stuff, it would load within 15 to 20 seconds as opposed to the minute or more it use to take prior to PrimoCache/SSD upgrade; I use to just leave GIMP open since I hated to wait for it to load. lol).

Also, I don't hear my HDD crunch nearly as often now; the sound of silence (well, still have the PC fans; lol). :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:22 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

OK; to make my system even better, I purchased some used RAM from Amazon (around $54). Going to be a week or two before I get it, though (bummer). lol

16Gs more for a total of 28Gs. That should be enough. Going to increase my cache size to 8Gs (right now it's 3Gs). My system should then fly while in session. I just did a simple power down and reboot test (fast open's enabled) and it powers up within 8 seconds similar to my Friend's SSD that I installed for him over a year ago. Pretty impressed. Of course fast open's pretty much hibernate and hibernate too is fast. Again, just want to milk my system for another 4 years and by then, who knows what the state of PCs will be. lol

So, for $55.90 (SDD) + $29.95 (PrimoCache) + $53.90 (RAM), I will likely double my speed (already quadrupled file access speed and that includes speeding up my sandbox). Should have done this 2 years ago, but the cheap bstard in me prevented me from doing so. lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:37 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:58 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Yup; lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:50 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:49 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Indeed it is, Wallace. Just upgraded my Virtualbox to 6.1.6. So far so good (not initially when I did so a few days back but after all the upgrades (and a gut feeling as to why it failed previously), I tried again and voila. lol

I did lower my L1 cache to 3096MB for now, but once I install my 16G upgrade, I plan on using an L1 cache of 8192MB. Never needed more than 9Gs prior to all my fiddling (upgrades that is), so that will still leave my system with 20Gs to do what it likes. Hope GIMP will be happier afterwards since it eats up RAM. lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 am  (#10) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
lylejk wrote:
Indeed it is, Wallace. Just upgraded my Virtualbox to 6.1.6. So far so good (not initially when I did so a few days back but after all the upgrades (and a gut feeling as to why it failed previously), I tried again and voila. lol

I did lower my L1 cache to 3096MB for now, but once I install my 16G upgrade, I plan on using an L1 cache of 8192MB. Never needed more than 9Gs prior to all my fiddling (upgrades that is), so that will still leave my system with 20Gs to do what it likes. Hope GIMP will be happier afterwards since it eats up RAM. lol

Is the motherboard's BIOS up to date?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:45 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Well, my memory came in 3 days earlier than originally promised so very happy I am. Haven't placed the modules in yet since my fear is it may muck up something, but soon (like in a few minutes) will. I'll give you all a report if it's successful. If it ain't, then, you may not hear from me for a bit. lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Argghhhh.   I mis-read. Never order anything after midnight. They're 8Gs (2x4) pair. Have to admit I didn't see the 2x4 when I ordered these. I should have known better to not buy anything when bushed. lol

Not going to fret since 20Gs is better than 12Gs. Would have been nice to have 28Gs, but 20Gs will do me good enough. Still, Arggggggggg. lololol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:54 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Only running 12 GB RAM here and never had any problems (6+ years), nor a desire to upgrade....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:26 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Me two, racer-x, but now that I'm running PrimoCache, I needed a bit more RAM. It was worth it since my system's really responding nicely using it. :)