It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I color the statue grey?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've tried to color this statue grey without success. Can someone in the chat please help? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
Freedom Banda statue.jpg
Freedom Banda statue.jpg [ 93.22 KiB | Viewed 2498 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do I color the statue grey?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Attachment:
greystatue.xcf [1.33 MiB]
Downloaded 95 times
Do you have the original starting picture/CLIPART? In this image you have already made some attempts and the background isn't transparent.

For starters, whenever using clipart or lineart, you need to separate the lines from the background. This is assuming it is in black and white. When colors are involved, the methods change a little bit.

So, I took your image and quickly eliminated most of the background, duplicated the layer, and on the bottom copy, I selected the line art with a very low ALPHA threshold. You may have to invert it if GIMP selects the entire line art AND the border. (If you see marching ants around the border, you need to invert via Select).

With the bottom layer selected and highlighted, choose the color of your liking (grey) and fill in the selected area.

The top layer is used for darkening the lines after you have painted it grey underneath, so change the layer mode of the top layer to DARKEN. I have, in the past, duplicated the top layer a time or two, to make my lines the darkest possible to suit the image.

For fun, you can even add a background stone layer at the very top and then treat it as an OVERLAY and lower the opacity to suit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:19 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Mahvin!!! I appreciate your help.Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:56 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

You're welcome. Did you notice I left you the path selections to the clipart? Just in case you wanted to play around with it some more.