It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exported PNG pixelated
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:36 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello there! I'm very recent to editing image and using Gimp.

I'm trying to create an image that includes text, but whenever I export PNG without background, the text shows up pixelated.

Is there a way to avoid this? If i export in JPEG (either black or white background) it doesn't look pixelated at all. I assume this has something to do with transparency, but I'm hoping it can be solved somehow..can it?

Thanks in advance, really loving Gimp.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Exported PNG pixelated
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to Gimp Chat SirBecas.
Could you tell us how many layers you are exporting and do they (it) have alpha an channel?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:09 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

SirBecas wrote:
Hello there! I'm very recent to editing image and using Gimp.

I'm trying to create an image that includes text, but whenever I export PNG without background, the text shows up pixelated.

Is there a way to avoid this? If i export in JPEG (either black or white background) it doesn't look pixelated at all. I assume this has something to do with transparency, but I'm hoping it can be solved somehow..can it?

Thanks in advance, really loving Gimp.

Is the image color-indexed by any chance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
Could you tell us how many layers you are exporting and do they (it) have alpha an channel?

Thank you!
7 layers: 5 of text (because I have different words in different positions) and 2 images (a character and the background). And it does have an alpha channel.

Would it help if I merged all layers?

ofnuts wrote:

That is a good question. I wouldn't know how to answer you straight away, but I'll look up on google what does that mean.

Thank you both!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:43 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:

It would for a publishing format like png. For a working format that retains layers use Gimp's native xcf.

Merging down could show you whats going wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:58 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Ok thank you, will play a bit with that.

To clarify: my first layer (counting from below) is the "background" layer, no color; then i have a black and another white layers (so that I can compare colors in dark/white themes, but I always hide these when I export the image - could it be here, the error?); finally, all text + drawing are the last layers.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:09 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

SirBecas wrote:
Tas_mania wrote:

Thank you!
7 layers: 5 of text (because I have different words in different positions) and 2 images (a character and the background). And it does have an alpha channel.

ofnuts wrote:

That is a good question. I wouldn't know how to answer you straight away, but I'll look up on google what does that mean.

Thank you both!

In Gimp, i Image/Mode, you have three options. Make sure RGB is selected, not indexed. Out of curiosity, are you viewing the PNG in another viewer or are you importing it back into Gimp? What does it look like in Gimp?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

The image mode (RGB, greyscale, indexed) is shown in the title bar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:48 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
In Gimp, i Image/Mode, you have three options. Make sure RGB is selected, not indexed. Out of curiosity, are you viewing the PNG in another viewer or are you importing it back into Gimp? What does it look like in Gimp?

RGB is selected yes. I was using Windows whatever-image-viewing App hehe. On Gimp it seems to be ok though. Actually, you asked that and I just checked: it only looks like that on the Windows viewing app. If I open on any other app (either Paint or the PrintScreen-Cut tool from Windows, it looks fine).

Probably an actually "no-problem" that only came up because I was using that specific tool to view no-background images. I'm not sure if I can post links already, if I could I could share a source of the logo applied (on Twitter, however, which is the one that shows bigger picture) it looks fine.

Ok, I guess this wasn't a problem after all!

Thanks to @ofnust too! I decided to start using Gimp as it was free and thought it was better for the future to stick with it and am really happy. Thank you very much everyone.

Edit: I just added the logo as an Avatar here so that you could see. What I saw on the Windows viewer, was some "pixelization" on the borders of letters, like as if "B" had some "failures" in the drawing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:25 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Glad it's sorted. Love your avatar! :bigthup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:20 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks @Erisian. My first work with image, and though it was something very simple, im proud hehe.

Best regards!