It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COLOR CONVERTED TO CMYK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I want to have this heart printed on t shirts,I have submitted the image in png but that was not accepted, they ask to convert the image to CMYK.
my question now, can i find that in gimp,I searched the entire list but CMYK is not listed

Thank you for your order, I see that the file was delivered in png. If we convert these colors into CMYK, the sticker will look with a completely different color. We would like to receive a new file in which the colors have already been converted to CMYK. Thanks in advance.
thanks in advance,gimper

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: COLOR CONVERTED TO CMYK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:09 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp is a RGB colourspace editor, there is no built in option to convert to CMYK although there is a plugin called Cyan. If any of your friends use Photoshop ask them to convert from RGB to CMYK. Another method for occasional use is a (free) online converter https://www.rgb2cmyk.org/

PNG files do not support CMYK but you can use jpeg.

What does the printer mean by If we convert these colors into CMYK, the sticker will look with a completely different color.

Read the bit here about RGB to CMYK colour change https://www.rgb2cmyk.org/about.html

A converted jpeg using ISOcoated.icc colour profile (I use Gimp/Cyan) file attached. heart.jpg

This is the sort of colour change to expect: The printing company wants you to do the conversion to avoid customer complaints.

Attachment:
cmyk.jpg
cmyk.jpg [ 89.69 KiB | Viewed 10118 times ]

You should start and finish a project all in CMYK. If you do not have PS then you can use Krita https://krita.org/

edit: Just a thought: Do not open the CMYK in Gimp for other than viewing. Edit or re-export and Gimp uses RGB colourspace.

Attachments:
heart.jpg
heart.jpg [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 10118 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Gimp is a RGB colourspace editor, there is no built in option to convert to CMYK although there is a plugin called Cyan. If any of your friends use Photoshop ask them to convert from RGB to CMYK. Another method for occasional use is a (free) online converter https://www.rgb2cmyk.org/

PNG files do not support CMYK but you can use jpeg.

What does the printer mean by If we convert these colors into CMYK, the sticker will look with a completely different color.

Read the bit here about RGB to CMYK colour change https://www.rgb2cmyk.org/about.html

A converted jpeg using ISOcoated.icc colour profile (I use Gimp/Cyan) file attached. heart.jpg

This is the sort of colour change to expect: The printing company wants you to do the conversion to avoid customer complaints.

Attachment:
cmyk.jpg

You should start and finish a project all in CMYK. If you do not have PS then you can use Krita https://krita.org/

edit: Just a thought: Do not open the CMYK in Gimp for other than viewing. Edit or re-export and Gimp uses RGB colourspace.

what do you mean by ps

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

PS = PhotoShop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:02 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You could provide 4 separate masks (one for each of the primary colors in CMYK space) to your printer and see if that would be good enough. Easy to do so in GIMP. :)

Attachments:
Decompose_CMYK.png
Decompose_CMYK.png [ 104.68 KiB | Viewed 10038 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:42 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
You could provide 4 separate masks (one for each of the primary colors in CMYK space) to your printer and see if that would be good enough. Easy to do so in GIMP. :)

lylejk,i give you the xcf of my image, would you convert that for me as you explained it here ?!

this is what it looks like now, the aim is to achieve the same result,but made with the cmyk colors

thank you in advance

Attachments:
HARTJE-GROEN.xcf [1.44 MiB]
Downloaded 118 times
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:55 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
this is what it looks like now, the aim is to achieve the same result,but made with the cmyk colors

Did you not understand that bit from rgb2cmyk

Quote:
When I convert RGB TO CMYK the whole color changes?
Some RGB colors that you can see on your monitor (in particular, blue, green and all bright vibrant colors) cannot be printed and/or replicated with standard CMYK inks.

What are you using ??? only green, bright and vibrant, prepare to be disapointed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

yes i know, it has already been done with photoshop and the result is also disappointing, the brightness of the color is much less and that is exactly what we want to avoid

in any case, thank you very much
gimper66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:40 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

You can do so yourself, gimper66; not hard at all; built into GIMP's color support menu:

Attachment:
decompose.png
decompose.png [ 574.84 KiB | Viewed 9928 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk
yes ok, but what can i do with this result

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Each channel can then be exported to a file and send those files to the printer to make plates. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:18 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Each channel can then be exported to a file and send those files to the printer to make plates. :)

lylejk, now I understand, thanks for your explanation and patience

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:58 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

If you're really close, if you have a good printer, you'll be all right, but there are some really crappy printers that have obsolete machines. Some mail-houses are infamous for this because, besides printing anything correctly, they have other issues.

The issue is this: before you get evidence, it doesn't matter what your settings are. All these other things are nonsense. You have no idea why you would set up colors that would come out of their printer.

Setting up blah blah and colors. Most places running a digital 4-color press should know how to do their job and have ample equipment to do a proof or a press check and send you on your way.