It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halo everybody
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:16 am  (#1) 

I am a newby/wannabe attempting graphic design the self help way hoping to reach a level where I maybe can earn some sort of income with it very soon... I suppose it sounds very ambitious but I hope it will be possible with the help of you guys...

With the help of aunty Google I watched and worked through many tutorials here, on YouTube and various other sites. Most of them are very explanatory and easy to follow however, not having formal design background, some aspects does not make sense at first - but again with aunty Google's assistance and some reading up - the light do come on...

And already I want to thank you guys for the super tutorials here...

My first question - Trying to make a logo with a metalic frame. I found Metal Wurx Part XX and decided to start at Part I and work through all. In Part I - brushed metal. Under filters, blur I don't have just motion blur? I have the following options and am not sure if anyone of them will have the same effect - focus, gaussian, lens, mean curvature, median, pexelize, selective gaussian, variable, circular motion, linear motion and zoom motion?

Is anyone of them the same or will have the same effect or is there a plugin available for it?

:tyspin

Have a nice day

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Halo everybody
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:05 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to Gimp Chat, ElMar. :)

Attachments:
Welcome to Gimp Chat.png
Welcome to Gimp Chat.png [ 26.31 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:20 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:15 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Hello Elmar. Welcome to Gimp Chat -

Cant tell you off my head but try them all and see hich one gives you the required result

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:02 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi.

If you plan on making a go at graphic design I'd look at current trends. Flat shading with little to no texture has been in vogue for quite a while, and with the push towards svg its not going away soon. That means metal isn't that needed, although learning how to do it is still worth doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:12 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

ElMar wrote:
In Part I - brushed metal. Under filters, blur I don't have just motion blur?

Not anymore, you are looking at an old GIMP interface, (GIMP 2.6 or 2.8) in that tutorial.

Nowadays, on GIMP 2.10, these "one" filters with 3 options inside (Linear / Radial / Zoom) were separated directly in the menu and are now called

ElMar wrote:
if anyone of them will have the same effect -
focus, gaussian, lens, mean curvature, median, pexelize,
selective gaussian, variable, circular motion, linear motion and zoom motion?

Thus you are searching for the Linear motion blur.

To "translate" from the old interface (just motion blur and the 3 options inside) to the latest, 3 filters directly in the menu.

Linear option is now Filters > Blur > Linear Motion Blur...
Radial option is now Filters > Blur > Circular Motion Blur...
Zoom option is now Filters > Blur > Zoom Motion Blur...

And the very good news is that now the preview is directly on the canvas, not anymore in that tiny window you see on the tutorial :bigthup

Last but not least: Welcome to gimpchat :welcome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:56 am  (#7) 

Thanks everyone and Patrice for explaining, I really do appreciate all help, suggestions and pointers.

Ella

Please also:

I am still playing around with the tools and functions and when I go under filters and try to open python fu console it give me error:

Execution error for "console":
Failed to run plug-in "python-console.py"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:54 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

ElMar wrote:
I am still playing around with the tools and functions and when I go under filters and try to open python fu console it give me error:

Execution error for "console":
Failed to run plug-in "python-console.py"

For that you need to tell us what's your operating system as it might depend about your OS and the GIMP full version number would be a plus (Top menu > Help > About)

May be ask/open a new thread in the help section to be more seen, (or maybe a moderator can transfer those last 2 posts?), because here, to the "introduce yourself" once some of us said "welcome", it's not anymore well view by other people, thus I recommend that you start a new fresh topic to maximize the number of answers, there is a lot of members with python knowledge here, they sure will help you :bigthup