It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Stuff
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:32 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I just wanted to show people the sort of things I do from time to time so decided to make this thread...not sure if its the right way to do it though..I belong to a few graphics type groups which mainly are PSP oriented but I like to try to accept the challenge with GIMP and I dont use PSP except for transforming tubes for use in GIMP.The challenge given yesterday was for Tutorial Of The Week (TOTW) which basically told us to grab a few things and make something without a tutorial...here is my result...which I made this morning. The diagonal background was made using the fairy graphic and tiling it into small tiles, then blurring it (cant remember the settings I used) and then pasting it onto a gradient filled background I made using the main colours...

Attachments:
MontanaKatesFairy.png
MontanaKatesFairy.png [ 595.67 KiB | Viewed 2216 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: My Stuff
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Looks fantastic to me Pauline. Couldn't ever come close to this myself since I'm a filter guy. Thanks for sharing your stuff. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:46 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Looks fantastic to me Pauline. Couldn't ever come close to this myself since I'm a filter guy. Thanks for sharing your stuff. :)

thanks Lyle, but I did use filters on this...the drop shadows, on the signature is the basic bevel filter, the frame is one of the scripts and the fairy it self is just a misted tube(PSP) converted to a png file..used several times and reversed etc to fill the scene, copy and pasted, sometimes I out a mask on and then bevel and emboss...all done with GIMP filters and scripts except for the actual main tube which is adjusted in size to suit what I am doing...a lot of the time I can follow a PSP tutorial if I know what effect the filters are going to have...if I dont know then I just go my own way and come out with some thing very pleasing to my eye...I'll try to keep posting these challenges in here so you all can see my results when I do something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:51 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

beautiful Pauline. The colors are refreshing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:29 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

great Pauline, i never tried tile script before...i learn something everytime i come to this site
was messing with a pic of my sisters horse when i saw your post and had to try it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:01 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

Very nice, akky!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:27 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you everyone and alc59, great job there..looks very western ranch styled!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:33 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

alc59, with the drop shadow on the main pic against the background, the settings are for a plus value......I got the shadow on the other sides of the main pic by doing the same value but with a minus..as shown in these examples.....

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 9.32.51 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 9.32.51 AM.png [ 39.7 KiB | Viewed 2159 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:48 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

thanks akky, i do like it better with the shadow all the way around

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:43 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I really like your Stuff, akky. It's a very unique style (well, I've never seen it before) and they're always very clean and creative. Thanks for sharing!

I have to ask, what is a tube? I assumed it was a hollow cylindrical object through which miscellaneous content flows, but that fairy looks nothing like that. I figure it's a cut-out image, ready to go?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:12 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Amanda47 wrote:
I really like your Stuff, akky. It's a very unique style (well, I've never seen it before) and they're always very clean and creative. Thanks for sharing!

I have to ask, what is a tube? I assumed it was a hollow cylindrical object through which miscellaneous content flows, but that fairy looks nothing like that. I figure it's a cut-out image, ready to go?

Well I have to admit its a crazy name for these I think but thats what they are...and yes I guess you could call them cut outs of ready to go pics..and they can be of anything and they can be misted...I've collected 100's of them, perhaps more likely 1000's....I'll add some examples here if I may...usually they come on a layered background so that the bit you want to use is transparent, thats why mine are png files...jpegs cant be transparent..but png can be....I'll try to give some cut down versions for the sake of space on here....

Attachments:
File comment: This is a typical layered type of tube which comes with the face, the background and the tubers watermark...which can be separated from each other if saved correctly...dont try it with this as its a jpeg..normally it would be native to the graphics program or .png file
aclis_face_02_02_09_2011.jpg
aclis_face_02_02_09_2011.jpg [ 48.98 KiB | Viewed 1225 times ]
File comment: misted tube without background
aclis_face_02_02_09_2011-2.png
aclis_face_02_02_09_2011-2.png [ 231.25 KiB | Viewed 1225 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Those are also heavily reduced in size.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:51 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Nice Pauline, very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:11 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

wbool63 wrote:
Nice Pauline, very nice!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:15 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

here is another one I did today using the same theme of TOTW. I used one of those vintage gradients posted here a few days ago as a foundation background.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:49 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Pauline,

I like the striped background. I downloaded the vintage gradients as well but didn't see anything like that. Did you do something else to get the stripes effect?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:11 am  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Very nice Pauline.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I actually put the gradient on as a backdrop and then with the main tube..the book, fruit, basket, bottle etc...I used GMIC arrays to get multiple images in a faded array, then went to filters/blur/motion blur/ and set the length to maximum and the angle to about 40 and then pasted that onto the vintage gradient. With the gradient set on normal mode and linear from top left to lower right corners...It just picks up all the same natural colours of the tube I am using...I did the same thing with the fairy one as well. but didnt use the vintage gradient...I made a gradient with the main colours for that one and then did the same thing using the main tube in gmic and then blurred it for the diagonal effect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:53 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

PSP Picture tubes = GIMP brushes. Basically considered pictures without backgrounds, that can be used repetitively. The green pepper that comes default in GIMP would be considered what PSP calls a tube. Including any animated brushes, as well. They, too, would be considered tubes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:04 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

They dont work like brushes though...these are copy and paste images and quite a lot bigger than brushes. They are opened as transparent images in GIMP and then manipulated.