It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: making your own palette
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

i'm in the process of making my own palette. i'm taking real photos of nature and using gimp to pull colors from them to make my palette. this way i hope to make my work better. i think it will give me more real colors to work with, and i hope to avoid blending colors on my pictures to get the color i want, which i feel causes way to much of a blur....this way my work will not be so blurry and therefore makes my work better. here is what i have so far.

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE MY IDEA......

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: making your own palette
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

rdgracer71 wrote:
i'm in the process of making my own palette. i'm taking real photos of nature and using gimp to pull colors from them to make my palette.

This is a good idea. I would just point out that is possible to have GIMP automatically create a palette from the colors in an image (or at least a subset of them).

First open your Palette Dialog (if it is not already open) using "Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Palettes".

Next choose the "Import palette..." command from the Palette menu (accessible by clicking on the triangle-in-a-box button in the upper-right corner of the dialog).

Attachment:
SSpalette-menu.png
SSpalette-menu.png [ 67.07 KiB | Viewed 1686 times ]

In the Import Palette dialog that appears, specify the image from which you want the colors taken as your Source and any other options available (palette name, number of colors, etc).

Attachment:
SSimport-palette.png
SSimport-palette.png [ 14.24 KiB | Viewed 1686 times ]

Of course, you sacrifice much of the control you have with selecting the colors manually.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes and another little secret about the GPL extension is that you can also copy all of Gimps palettes to Inkscape and visa versa.
As GPL is the native format for both programs. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

saulgoode wrote:
rdgracer71 wrote:
i'm in the process of making my own palette. i'm taking real photos of nature and using gimp to pull colors from them to make my palette.

This is a good idea. I would just point out that is possible to have GIMP automatically create a palette from the colors in an image (or at least a subset of them).

First open your Palette Dialog (if it is not already open) using "Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Palettes".

Next choose the "Import palette..." command from the Palette menu (accessible by clicking on the triangle-in-a-box button in the upper-right corner of the dialog).
Good timing. I was trying to find how to do that, so thanks for sparing me the search:) However, there is slightly simpler way to access "Import palette": just right-click on the list of palettes (no need for the "triangle-in-a-box").