It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Logo made with (shape) paths
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

i have this idea, making some artwork in the future, with lots of futuristic looking logos, like my heroes 'The Designers Republic' did in the past

saw this shape somewhere when i was surfing the net:
a triangle with capped and rounded tips

seems its not so difficult to do
i had the 'Shape paths' script already installed and tried a few things

so yeah, made a triangle with the script, cut off the tip, used a rectangular selection with rounded edges to erase some more
so far so good, but how do i repeat the same with the other tips ?
right, rotating !

then i couldnt find the right point to rotate the damn thing..... :gaah

deleted everything, started anew
this time with a circle, then the triangle, so all the tips would touch the circle
cut off the tips, by rotating the triangle and tried to make a path around my new shape
that didnt work very well either, because its not that precise and the resulting shapes dont overlap exactly :hoh

third try:
made a circle, then a triangle, then inside the triangle a rounded rectangle (all paths)
rotated the rectangle two times: got the red shape, filled in the missing spaces (with a brush) via the triangle selection with black

its still not a perfect shape because the red and the black didnt overlap 100% AGAIN (i think this may be because of the antialiasing), so tricked a bit and made a black border to mask my dilemma

CONCLUSION: GIMP is not the perfect tool for this geometric stuff, probably another vote for giving Inkscape a try....

Attachment:
Logo.png
Logo.png [ 33.07 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: A Logo made with (shape) paths
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I would love to see Inkscape and Gimp as one program, but it will never be.
The proper tools for this are all in Inkscape. You have your shapes, spiro, 3D, and it's all vector.
Besides if you are going to do any logo work you are going to want it to be vector for resizing purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

That's a nice design.

From reading tutorials in the past, one way to get rounded corners is to fill your shape with white then Gaussian blurr somewhere between 5 -15 go layer>alpha to selection and this should show rounded corners then convert selection to path.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:27 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I think Inkscape would do you the world of good Esper. I've had it for ages but haven't got to grips with it yet. I need to find some decent tutorials.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
I would love to see Inkscape and Gimp as one program, but it will never be.
The proper tools for this are all in Inkscape. You have your shapes, spiro, 3D, and it's all vector.
Besides if you are going to do any logo work you are going to want it to be vector for resizing purposes.

I've always hoped they could be combined, everything one needs would be in one package. Combine Mypaint with those and the possibilities would be endless. But, as you say, it will only be in dreams.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:32 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

Much easier in Inkscape (10ish min for me)...lots of reliance on snap to midpoint. Still, it required eyeballing to get the first rounnded rectangle sized correctly to be nicely inscribed in the triangle.

Attachment:
logo.png
logo.png [ 20.18 KiB | Viewed 2134 times ]

-Rob A>