It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daemon Warrior
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

OK AnMal - here's the story:-

Loga was born a daemon of the tribes of Am 'Athir and from a very young age exhibited a great aptitude for intellectual pursuits such as the dark arts and elemental magicks. As a teenager she enrolled in war school and learned to fight using a variety of weapons. Although she has many of the cruel traits of her race she is also capable of showing mercy and would happily join a group of "good" adventurers where she would prove a loyal companion and a very powerful ally.

Last edited by Erisian on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Daemon Warrior
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Congratulation, Erisian! Another strong and haunting character. Fantastic texture work, by the way. And a good story.
I think the upper lip groove is slightly asymmetrical in relation to her nose with one line going to the middle of the nose and the other to the left nostril's inside. But it doesn't really stand out too much to be very noticeable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:59 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

For a real human, her shoulders seem a little narrow...Though I will say I normally draw shoulders narrow too so I won't pick on you too much! xD
For her age she looks very flat chested but that could be the armour making her flat...Which if I was her I'd be happy with that. xD
The nose and mouth are so good (T.T)...They eyes are good, but the look like they lack life...like she's dead inside or something..Dunno..But that could add to the cruelty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:55 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

erisian: :hi5 storytime :)! i love the character - no, that's wrong, i don't think she looks like someone i'd love, but you know what i mean! i agree with k1te, she is a strong and haunting character. looks very much like the daemon warrior you describe in the back story - you do realise we will now all want to know what happens? it's obvious that at some point she has to meet up with those "good" adventurers.
i love the textures in this picture and i'd give loga high marks for style, her clothes and hair are great looking. i agree with moko that the eyes don't look very alive (she's obviously not on belladonna :) ) but until i read mokos comment i was perfectly sure that was because of who the character is, that she's supposed to look like that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I much enjoy having a story tied to a picture like this, helps to connect with the characer.

I like the idea - and the hair! As others point out her shoulders are very narrow, it makes her head look too big compared to the body, an adult would not have such proportions. Of course we don't know what proportions a demon has... ;)

I like the muted green tone that permeates the entire image. They fit very well and gives this a subdued and somewhat claustrophobic feel. I'm not overly bothered about the lack of life in her eyes; I look at this like a portrait painting of her - like the character portrait in a RPG maybe. The story tells th rest.

Nice one!
Griatch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:48 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I like the color scheme, it seems very fitting. The texturing works very well, too.

It's probably just me, but my first thought was the character was male. I'm not sure why.

Great work overall!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:36 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you everybody. I'll give the eyes a second look but these Daemons are very impish in stature so the head will seem a little big in proportion to the rest of the body. Maybe I exaggerated it a bit but I think it adds a strange creepiness to her. All textures are thanks to G'MIC>patterns>Cracks. The armour is too flat chested for her really but never mind. The upper lip groove is a problem I commonly have. I usually correct it but I didn't notice it this time until just now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Your nose and mouth painting skills are excellent!! I Really like the dark atmosphere here, great job.
The eyes look a bit flat, and the shoulders a bit too narrow.. but other than, great work! You did really well on the shading! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:02 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

BaukjeSpirit wrote:
Your nose and mouth painting skills are excellent!! I Really like the dark atmosphere here, great job.
The eyes look a bit flat, and the shoulders a bit too narrow.. but other than, great work! You did really well on the shading! :D

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 am  (#10) 
Retired Staff

That's looking very "demonish" Erisian. Looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you O. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:03 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I wasn't looking forward to improving this one which is why it has taken so long. I've adjusted her right shoulder, reduced the neck length and shrunk the head a little. I've also added some sparkle to her eyes and some shadow under her eyelids and a couple of other minor improvements. The daemons of Am 'Athir are about six heads high and this commonly results in the shoulders looking a little narrow relative to their heads.

Last edited by Erisian on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Erisian wrote:
OK AnMal - here's the story:-

Loga was born a daemon of the tribes of Am 'Athir and from a very young age exhibited a great aptitude for intellectual pursuits such as the dark arts and elemental magicks. As a teenager she enrolled in war school and learned to fight using a variety of weapons. Although she has many of the cruel traits of her race she is also capable of showing mercy and would happily join a group of "good" adventurers where she would prove a loyal companion and a very powerful ally.

[ Image ]

OOps, sorry, I missed this one.
Very nice job Eris. You did such a good job on the shading and to me that is so important when you are doing skin to get all the contours.
Are you using MyPaint? Anyway, :clap :jumpclap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not using MyPaint at the moment but I might give it another go. I think it's more useful for classic oil type work than for the detailed work I usually do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:57 am  (#15) 
Global Moderator

I go back and forth. anyway, Cool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

erisian: she looks great now! very well done for taking the bull by the horns and fixing her :clap only thing she needs now is company from some more of your work...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
erisian: she looks great now! very well done for taking the bull by the horns and fixing her :clap only thing she needs now is company from some more of your work...

Thank you. More is on its way but I'm pushing my boundaries and finding things a little difficult. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:40 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Now if you want scary, if I was to put a pic of my ex wife beside this you would know fear, it would even freak Steven King out.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I don't remember exactly how it looked before to make a detailed comparison with your updates; but what jumped out to me before doesn't anymore. :) The little story attached to this remains quite endearing. Also fun that you've expanded with more images of her.
Griatch