It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nocturne-blue theme for Gimp 2.8
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello, I spent a fair amount of hours designing this gtk2 gimp theme and I think I've come to a point where I'm satisfied enough so I'm making it public, there are few minor elements I couldn't modify and despite my will I didn't understand how to fine-tune them. As you can see, this is a dark-but-not-that-dark theme where I tried to aim both at usability and aesthetics without sacrificing performances.

Please, if you try it, tell me what you think.

Requirements:
- Gimp 2.8.?
Gimp linux build is expected to work fine with this theme
Gimp windows builds by partha will work with this theme
- mist engine, (attached in this post in case you didn't have it)
- recent murrine engine (attached in this post), I stressed the word recent, because you may have libmurrine.dll by default in your gimp installation but it's probably an outdated version so I've attached partha's recent windows port of this engine in case the theme doesn't display properly, if you're using windows, you'll have to place this engine dll in ...\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines. To check if you have the correct murrine engine, look at the widgets (buttons, scrollbars, checkboxes, radioboxes etc.) and compare yours with those seen in my screenshot, if they don't match then your libmurrine.dll is outdated and you need the dll I attached.

Issues:
- windows users, sourceforge Gimp version reacts badly with this theme (and supposedly) any other themes that use specific engines to draw widgets, such as aurora, clearlooks, murrine etc.
- linux users, there might be a permission issue with the folders. Install the gtkrc file in the theme folder in Gimp's user profile, right click the file and make sure the permissions box is checked. Fire up Gimp, change the theme and all should be well.

Screenshot:

Attachments:
File comment: The theme itself, updated 18 may with 2 more readable icons, just place the folder within your theme folder
nocturne-blue.zip [6.81 KiB]
Downloaded 817 times
File comment: the mist engine (in case the theme wouldn't launch or doesn't react as it should)
libmist.zip [80.29 KiB]
Downloaded 419 times
File comment: the murrine engine (in case the theme wouldn't launch or doesn't react as it should)
libmurrine.zip [227.61 KiB]
Downloaded 407 times

Last edited by anarkhya on Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Nocturne-blue theme for Gimp 2.8
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Merci beaucoup, anarkhya!
I knew you were working on a new theme for gimp :) (you spilled the beans in on of the discussions here)
I'm gonna try it on Win7 2.8.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:56 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks K1te, I'll wait for your input! (:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:12 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Took me a while to realize that gtkrc file to be replaced
is actually in the user profile folder, not the ones in Program folder. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Well sorry for the where-to-put, I almost mentioned at first where to put the folder but because people use various builds of gimp, I wasn't sure how to safely lead them to the correct theme folder...

Now thank you for the feeback but actually you doesn't see what I see, well you see only a part of it actually ;) your screen cap' show that your gimp version doesn't have the engine (libmurrine.dll) I used to draw widgets, compare with my screenshot, so you're in the case where you have to download the dll I attached in the first post and place it in the folder ...\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines then restart gimp to apply.

Oh and please tell me which gimp version you use (I assume its the sourceforge installer version?) so I can reproduce what's going wrong.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
...gtkrc file to be replaced...

theoretically, you shouldn't have to replace any present gtkrc, my zip file contains a folder and it is this folder that has to be placed in theme folder, like any theme already present in your build. Wait, I think I see what's wrong you unzipped and ended up with only a file not a folder with a file inside, right ?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:53 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hey, anarkhya!
I'm using 64-bit GIMP 2.8.4 from SForge. My layout is slightly modified GPS (sessionrc is different from the standard).
I moved libmurrine.dll from your download to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gtk-2.0\2.10.0\engines folder - that was actually the first
thing I did.
I restored the original gtkrc and copied nocturne-blue folder with gtkrc to my themes folder - i can see and choose the theme from User>Preferences.
Now I see what you mean with plugin widgets, did not pay much attention at my first try - but having the right setup now does nothing - i'm still having
widget buttons, slider, etc. different from what it's supposed to be.

You mentioned mist engine - 'should be already in place' and i don't have that. Isn't that Linux thing?
Anyway, just libmurrine.dll in gtk engine folder doesn't work in Windows.
Are you going to reproduce my set-up? It is pretty much standard version with GPS.
I don't mixed it with dll files from Partha's or any other custom builds.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Looks good in the screenshots, and surprisingly easy to read for a darkish theme, nice work.
Can't use it myself as I'm running Linux here.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

@Caz You can use it on Linux if you have mist engine OS gtk theme installed

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:49 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Caz wrote:
Looks good in the screenshots, and surprisingly easy to read for a darkish theme, nice work.
Can't use it myself as I'm running Linux here.

Thanks, I hope it will be as readable as it seems to be, if you try it !
Well, I removed the note about linuxians in my first post, as I realize I have honestly no idea how you can install this theme, it may be simple or not I just don't know, all I know is that you need mist engine and murrine engine, I think you don't need to have mist and murrine themes but only their engines, and specifically a recent build of murrine, you should find it on https://git.gnome.org/browse/murrine/

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I'm using 64-bit GIMP 2.8.4 from SForge.

Ok, I'll install it to see what happens
Edit: Okay, I installed sourceforge gimp and there are surprisingly only 2 engines included: wimp and pixmap, so I'm attaching now the missing mist engine dll in my first post and set it as required.
Edit2: Unfortunately sourceforge gimp doesn't want to detect any engine, I've tried several themes and they all look "engineless" so the widgets are inevitably drawn in the old windows 98 fashion, this is quite frustrating.
Quote:
layout slightly modified GPS (sessionrc is different from the standard).

90% sure that it shouldn't be an issue

Quote:
I can see and choose the theme from User>Preferences.

Ok, issue solved ;)
Quote:
Now I see what you mean with plugin widgets, did not pay much attention at my first try - but having the right setup now does nothing - i'm still having
widget buttons, slider, etc. different from what it's supposed to be.

Let's try something if you will, try it if placing mist and murrine dlls in your engine folder doesn't change anything, open my gtkrc and modify the line 124
from this
engine "mist"      # why mist ? go to combobox style to understand..

to this
engine "murrine"   # why mist ? go to combobox style to understand..

and tell me if widgets changed.
useless to try, because of sourceforge gimp not detecting any engines, right now I'm clueless for sourceforge gimp users.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the info about the theme engines, but they're are already installed - which I don't think they are - or I don't need them.
I dropped the gtkrc file into my gimp users profile theme folder but that didn't work, it was a no show under preferences/themes. So I pasted it into the usr/share/Gimp/ 2.0 theme folder and that worked. I had to create a folder called Blue via the terminal first, this goes in Gimp's 2.0 theme folder, and then open it as administrator so that I could paste the gtkrc file into it.
The theme looks good, but it's a massive change from what I'm used to, a bright silver/grey theme. I will stay with it for a while and see if it grows on me.
Thanks for this, anarkhya.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:37 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Hey, excellent, it works, all engines functional ! :D

Seeing how you and k1te fight a bit with folders, I guess I made a wrong move in compressing the gtkrc instead of making a folder (in fact, I assumed that the user would automatically extract the zip towards a folder, not extract the content as a file), So I'm attaching another zip with folder in it this time.

Please, tell me your gimp version, so I can mark yours as ok

And if you feel like something need to be adjusted, widgets, contrast, colors, just tell me (:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

anarkhya wrote:
Please, tell me your gimp version, so I can mark yours as ok

And if you feel like something need to be adjusted, widgets, contrast, colors, just tell me (:

I'm running Gimp 2.8.4 on Linux Mint. I do find the tool icons a little bit on the small side, they are slightly bigger if I use the default theme, but not by much, and the dodge/burn tool icon is very hard to see, but that's by virtue of the fact that it's set against a dark background. Apart from those couple of little things everything looks fine.
I don't know if you plan to publish this theme for general release but I think there might be a lot of Linux users who would appreciate it. As far as I can tell the Gimp theme is set by the theme that Linux uses, and I think that a lot of folk would like to use a different Gimp theme but can't find any - the windows themes don't appear to work - or a way to do it. So maybe a Linux download with some instructions on where the gtkrc file goes would make some folk happy. Your choice though.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Official gimp on Linux mint, ok thanks!

- Tool icons size, can you post a real size screenshot for me to compare because I think that these icons should be of same size than those of gimp default theme, what might confuse the eye is that I set the padding narrower in my theme.

- dodge/burn tool, yes I see it now, I know a workaround though, I can use pixmap to import and replace any gimp icon, in fact that could have been the second phase of my theming process, changing the too white-ish icons that flashes too much against dark bg but I'm still unsure as I'm afraid of the performance hit if I import too many icons.

- linux world, yes, publishing also for linux users is planned (in fact when learning to build this theme I spent hours reading and downloading on gnome-look.org), I was a bit afraid about how this theme would interact with linux OS theme, but as seen in your screenshot everything seems fine with your distro so I may expect the same result with other distros around.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

The reason I think the icons are smaller is because with the default theme there are only four icons across each row of the tool box window, as can be seen in the screenshot above. In the dark theme there are five icons on each row. I could be wrong and maybe the tool box is wider in the default theme, in all honesty I'm not sure though.

One other thing I've noticed, and it's a small point again, the paths tab in the layers window is quite difficult to see. I don't see this as a problem for experienced users as they already know where the tab is but for new users it might prove hard to find.

It's good to hear that this will be available for Linux users, I'm sure they will appreciate it. :cool

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, I can confirm with your screenshot that toolbox icons are of the same size, it's only an illusion created by the narrower margins between each icons.

Path icon on notebooks, indeed, noted. Now I'll try to import new path and dodge/burn icons to enhance readability then I'll comeback with an updated gtkrc, thanks again !

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:10 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Updated with:
- new path icon in DockBook (tabs)
- new dodge/burn icon in ToolPalette (toolbox)
To reflect readability improvements suggested by Caz.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

The path tab and dodge/burn tool are much clearer now, I had some trouble installing it though. Just dropping the nocturne-blue folder into the user/share/gimp/themes folder won't work, not for me anyway. First off I had to make a new folder via the terminal in the themes folder, then within that folder I had to make a new folder called images for the new path and dodge/burn tool icons to go into. All the permissions where denied on the original downloaded version and so Gimp wasn't able to read them, without making new folders from scratch there was no way that I could find to make the theme work.
I thought I would post this in case it's of help to anyone else trying to install the theme.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:27 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Good to know, indeed, I'll note this one even if I have absolutely no idea why transferring files from win to linux would create a permission issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, I did one final experiment to see if there is an easier way to install the theme in Linux and there is.
Install the gtkrc file in the theme folder in Gimp's user profile, right click the file and make sure the permissions box is checked. Fire up Gimp, change the theme and all should be well. A much more straight forward way than the method I used before.

DeviantArt gallery