It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mother's day flower
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:07 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

(click for DA version)

A little flower study for Mother's day which is May 26 in Sweden.

Krita, some GIMP.
Griatch

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Mother's day flower
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

That is beautiful. It looks a bit like a lilac, but just a little different. Our lilacs have shorter and rounder petals.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm  (#3) 
Retired Staff

Lovely. Image

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:19 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

It looks a little like a plant I forgot the name of...:gaah !!!
It's very pretty she'll love it! Happy Mother's Day To Your Mother! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

What a stunning painting! I wouldn't have the patience for that much detail. You've captured the lighting really well.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

griatch: that's really beautiful! you've done so well with the light in this picture, it really looks like a morning in early summer.
we have those plants (i'm not good with flowers so i have no idea what they're called - they look a lot like lilacs but have five petals and different leaves) outside my house but they're not blooming yet - everything is a bit late this year and the lilacs and horse chestnut are just starting.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:38 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the comments! I hope she'll like it. :)

It's indeed a sort of lilac, it's a special type looking a bit different. I liked how it looked like a "mountain" of flowers.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:33 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Very beautiful Griatch. Looks a lot like a Hyacynth too. You are one talented dude.

BTW, it looks like you are enjoying Krita. I have it but haven't tried it yet. Do you like it better than MyPaint?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Update: I sent it to my Mother as an MMS. She liked it. :)

molly wrote:
BTW, it looks like you are enjoying Krita. I have it but haven't tried it yet. Do you like it better than MyPaint?

They both aim at digital painting, but they have very different focii. MyPaint is small and lean and is meant to be used with other programs. Krita could in principle replace GIMP (and in some ways, Inkscape) for most normal usage although it focuses primarily on painting rather than photo manipulation.

Both program benefit greatly from keeping up with the latest development snapshots. It's trivial to run the bleeding edge MyPaint from GIT - I have in fact done so without a hitch for many years now. Krita is a beast of a system with massive dependencies in the form of the Calligra suite. Tracking development is doable but is best done with various build scripts, many of which assume certain linux distros to work out of the box, and building it from scratch takes a considerable amount of time. It is a much larger program.

MyPaint's brushes are fast and fun. IMO they have superior smudging properties to most of the Krita equivalents, but Krita has a much wider array of brush possibilities (it actually includes the MyPaint brush engine although it crashes for me at the moment). Notably Krita allows for non-procedural image and animated brushes, something which MyPaint does not. This allows for a better ability to mimic natural painting media, something which I'm interested in at the moment. I still find Krita's interface to be clunky and cumbersome compared to the elegance of MyPaint's (which I generally use without having any buttons on the screen at all).

I'll likely keep moving between Krita and MyPaint for painting in the foreseeable future depending on the effect I seek. GIMP is unfortunately too slow for me to paint in - the brushes are sluggish and at least on my setup they seem to occationally stop responding. I use GIMP for some manipulation- and adjustment tasks but the fact is that Krita is really a more modern program to use - at least for me having only modest "photo-manip" requirements.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:25 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Griatch, that is very informative. I opened it and looked it over and it does have some very nice features so I will stick to MyPaint and Gimp for now. I think there is a lot to learn in Krita before I would be able to maneuver around in it.