It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deer art(Finished Painting)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

here is part of some art work i have been working on. i drew this picture of a deer with a pencil. Loaded it to my computer and redid it with gimp. below is the picture i used to draw the deer from and my picture of the deer. i did reshape the deer's antlers some. the picture may be a sunset background or sunrise depending on how you want to see it.

the picture i used to draw the deer from:

Attachment:
buck deer sunset.jpg
buck deer sunset.jpg [ 36.55 KiB | Viewed 2007 times ]

my art work of the deer:(like i said, my antlers have been changed some)

Attachment:
deerart.jpg
deerart.jpg [ 21.47 KiB | Viewed 2007 times ]

Last edited by rdgracer71 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Deer art
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Nice work rdgracer71. If you do lots of these whenever you are bored, you will have lots of stuff you can add to any artwork you do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:35 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nice, good idea thanks for the sharing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:38 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Nice work rdgracer71. If you do lots of these whenever you are bored, you will have lots of stuff you can add to any artwork you do.

i agree. right now i do my work in pieces. lol :hehe :hehe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:39 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Ecirbaf wrote:
Nice, good idea thanks for the sharing

thanks. maybe one day soon i will share the finish piece.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:45 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

i thought i would share the pencil drawing. i blacked it out with a black pen after i finished drawing the outline of it. the numbers are there cause i used a grid method to get the shape of the deer correct.

Attachment:
buckdeer.jpg
buckdeer.jpg [ 72.13 KiB | Viewed 1986 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:06 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Nice job, something to keep in your arsenal for adding to one of your landscapes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:10 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

The grid is a good method. Even the famous painter Albrecht Dürer often used a frame through which he observed his models so that he could get the proportions right.

http://underpaintings.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/studio-tools-durers-grid.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:46 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I took my time and finished this piece of work. The idea for this came to me sometime ago. I wasn't sure how good it would turn out seeing how i am not very good at trees or grass. i drew the deer and the tree(at least the trunk and branches with pencil and blacken them out and loaded them to my computer) finished them off with gimp and added the leaves and the grass. i am kinda pleased with how it turned out. i call it "Early Morning Buck". i like the sharp contrast and have to thank a wet on wet artist that i have watched of late for giving me the ideas such as this. his name would be Wilson Bickford. I did adjust the deer's neck a little and the top of his head just a little as well. the neck seem to have a slight bulge that was just a slight to big. i really like it better now.

here is the finished product. i tried to add as much detail as i could...maybe i could add a bird or two in the air might work. maybe later but for now i am calling this done...

Attachment:
Earlymorningbuck.jpg
Earlymorningbuck.jpg [ 254.68 KiB | Viewed 1863 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:49 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

WOW - that is gorgeous! I'm not sure you need to do any more with this - it's outstanding!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:52 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
WOW - that is gorgeous! I'm not sure you need to do any more with this - it's outstanding!

Thank you...

Post subject: Re: Deer art(Finished Painting)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:58 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I really like it! I use the grid method a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:23 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
I really like it! I use the grid method a lot.

Thank you. i use the grid method whenever i find it is needed. a lot of my work that i post on here is drawn all thru gimp with my mouse. this is maybe the 1st where i drew it on paper 1st with pencil then added to my computer to do in gimp. i think i'll do more like this in the future. i love doing animals. haven't done much of them lately. for some reason when i finished this one i got a idea of a buck deer and a doe standing in the snow. so that may be my next piece of work....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:31 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

That would be lovely. I love snow scenes and you are the perfect artist to do one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:22 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Lovely work as usual rd, the colours are gorgeous and really compliment each other.

As to the grid, I've been using that method as well to help with positioning, Although for still Life images I came across a glass frame with grid marked, this then meant you could hold the frame up to capture the desired view and quickly trace an outline onto the glass, then transfer to your image.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:00 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

rdgracer71: the finished piece is very beautiful! you seem to use silhouettes against colourful backgrounds a lot, i like that. and i'm always impressed by people who take time with the preparations - i've used the grid method when i was at school and we had to, but after that i haven't had the necessary self-discipline. i just sit down and draw and usually end up wishing i had been more methodical from the start.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:14 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

This is you best so far rdgracer71. Keep on the good work. I love the way you did your grass.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:29 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
rdgracer71: the finished piece is very beautiful! you seem to use silhouettes against colourful backgrounds a lot, i like that. and i'm always impressed by people who take time with the preparations - i've used the grid method when i was at school and we had to, but after that i haven't had the necessary self-discipline. i just sit down and draw and usually end up wishing i had been more methodical from the start.

thanks. the grid method is a great tool. i have very little patience to be honest. but here lately i am and will start taking more time to try my best to do my work as best as i can. i too used the grid method in school but quit using it as soon as i left school. i felt i was good enough to draw without needing it, but even though i am it's just a good tool to get things where they need to be. The grid method helps give you a good starting point with a complex object .but even with the grid method i made a few mistakes in drawing the deer. but i knew i could correct those once i had it in gimp. it was just a base to work off of. i plan on doing more animal paintings going forward. i have always loved doing animal drawings and i have yet to explore what is possible with gimp i truly think they may be endless. i love drawing whitetail deer and am planning on doing one next. but it will not be a silhouette. cause i want the challenge and the fun of doing all the detail that a deer gives you. so be looking for that one soon. i'm gonna start with it today.thanks for your kind words. and happy painting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:34 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I love the finished picture. It is perfect the way it is, you don't need to add anything, and the colors are beautiful. I would def hang this on my wall.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
This is you best so far rdgracer71. Keep on the good work. I love the way you did your grass.

i agree. the grass was easy :) but i think it set off this painting and got the mood i was looking for.