It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Custom Fonts from GimpLearn 2020
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:35 am  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

@Tasmania:

Your post explains why after all the time that you and I have been co-existing on this forum without any rancour that you suddenly became a zealot of the copyright laws:

Quote:
I didn't like how they crippled general Gimp discussion on GC in a tsunami of other people's fonts.

I don't recognise that statement; you obviously do not like custom fonts and you are entitled to your opinions.

It's a pity that you didn't say that before embarking on your recent mission. I would have explained politely that the 'Custom Fonts for 2019' is almost at an end and will be closed once Alan has/had finished his uploads. He was almost there but sadly appears to have been put off by all this. I do not think that English is his native language and that he may be at a disadvantage in a discussion such as this. Diagramjamal (the latest to indulge his Gimp passion) is a Turkish graphic artist and has no English at all - he too is at a serious disadvantage in these discussions.

'Custom Fonts for 2020' has a long way to go however, but once that is done that thread too will become an archive - accessible I hope by links in a custom font archive thread.

'Custom Fonts for 2023' is soon to end and 'Custom Fonts for 2024' could soon appear - unless of course Wallace in his head moderator role decides otherwise.

GimpChat is the spiritual home of Custom Fonting whether you like it or not.

I was trying not to mention Tim since that was a very difficult time in his online experience and I am so glad that he is back, enjoying coding and sharing his skills. Your headline quote from Tim's post did not mention that Tim was much re-assured by Ofnuts' comments and that Tim did try and re-instate his site - but unfortunately too much material had been lost to make it viable.

So where does that leave us?

I had already deleted the custom fonts from my machine before PixLab (thank you for your online research PixLab) joined the discussion but I may revive them. I too had thought about uploading the licences provided for any new fonts used to build custom fonts to re-assure Tazmania and anyone else that I am not trying to swindle anyone out of any revenue or steal their intellectual property.

And what about Custom Brushes and Custom Patterns?

This has been a useful experience and I want to build upon this.

Thank you all and have fun!

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:10 am  (#42) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I've always enjoyed the custom fonts that Skinnyhouse
has helped to put together for us.
I would like to see them continue here on GC.
Giving "attribution" when necessary seems like it should be enough.
Let's not police ourselves to harshly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:33 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Guys, if you look at Welcome To Font Chat you can see my issue was never about copyright.

One week ago GC had 10 posts per page. A lot of them were about fonts. Because of the industrial scale font re-homing, font posts were nearly always at the top. People were leaving.

That was the issue and it's been fixed as Wallace doubled the number of posts on the landing page

Last edited by Tas_mania on Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:58 pm  (#44) 
Administrator

Tas_mania wrote:
Hi Guys, if you look at Welcome To Font Chat you can see my issue was never about copyright.

One week ago GC had 10 posts per page. A lot of them were about fonts. Because of the industrial scale font re-homing, font posts were nearly always at the top. People were leaving. (I was one of them)

That was the issue and it's been fixed as Wallace doubled the number of posts on the landing page thanks mostly to Skinnyhouse :)

Discovering the fonts sometimes breached copyright was a surprise and I know for sure GC now hosts copyright fonts. Personally I don't care because as a decades long Linux user, I know that open source is the development model of choice and it's not copyright.

I have done graphics design including posters and I know the more decorated a font the less likely it can be used. Maybe one long word or 2 short words. It has always been about the message not the font you could say. I'm open to advice on this. Language is a complex subject with many countries still using 'picture writing'. On that basis these fonts are limited because how many Chinese or Arabic fonts have the font guys done? I didn't see any.

I think our alphabet is more advanced than right to left writing or picture writing models.
Alphabet is a representation of the spoken word. For me decorating letters detracts from the underlying language and meaning. Again open to advice on that one :)

I'm 72 next year, when I was 16 I worked at Australia's largest daily newspaper that had compositors using metal fonts. We worked all night. I remember the typesetters and how they worked, the smell of the printers ink. All that is just a memory.

I have to give it up to you Tas_mania.
For your experience and knowledge far exceeds my own in this matter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 am  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Wallace. :tyspin

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:02 am  (#46) 
Administrator

Skinnyhouse wrote:
Thanks Wallace. :tyspin

:bigthup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

@Tasmania

Well for someone not interested in copyright you sure tried to make a big deal of it in post#25, post#35 and post#40.

You seem to have got rid of Alan so you only have me to silence. :bigthup

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:21 am  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Ho. Back to business.

I did a search for the license for my unscripted whitebase font and couldn't find myself. So I can safely say that everyone is free to use this in whatever way you wish (I draw the line at offense personally).

It is a version of my Chunky Custom Font - but I forgive myself for using that as a copy! Right!

I remember that the kerning paths took a particularly long time to add - over 4 hours - so I'm not surprised that I used it a number of times after that in various ways. The gold colour was generated by one of my own plug-ins from a yellow gradient and then passed through the Lighting filter (not one of mine). I cannot remember where I got the image from that I used as an embossing layer.

Oh and I just added a small 3d effect to the lettering with another of my filters (but I will not duplicate the post on Custom Fonts for 2023).

Download, unzip the first two files and re-assemble with Stitcher from post#1.

Attachment:
Unscripted_Out_of_this_World_Gold.7z [4.74 MiB]
Downloaded 1221 times

Attachment:
Unscripted_Out_of_this_World_Gold_1.7z [3.99 MiB]
Downloaded 1230 times

Attachment:
Unscripted_Out_of_this_World_Gold_2.xcf [4.1 MiB]
Downloaded 1157 times

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:47 pm  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

:coolthup :rofl ----Diagramjamal (the latest to indulge his Gimp passion) is a Turkish graphic artist and has no English at all - he too is at a serious disadvantage in these discussions.---- :rofl :coolthup
My custom Font Master is Skinnyhouse :tyspin . Yes, your thoughts about me made me very happy. If Tasmania wants me to answer this,

I will fill the forum with English sentences.

You may have to close the forum. Skinnyhouse is my font master. I'm happy to celebrate fonts on the other side of the world.

If the issue is copyright related, let us know and we'll fix it. We cannot keep track of every font. The forum is a large area, I have a gimp army to follow.

You do not see the fonts we make as souvenirs.I am proud to share what I have been taught for free. Let me remind you that GIMP is an open source program.

I will be 51 next year. Shouldn't you guide young people?

What you say about this font is very true. Every country has a writing culture.

I don't need to learn English. I do not force anyone to teach Turkish.

Then publish your forum only in the USA and this problem will disappear and there will be no need for these discussions.

I would like to talk more.

But I'm afraid Skinnyhouse and Wallace will block me. Look carefully at the purple color, it will enlighten you.

Thank you,Best Regards,

Last edited by diagrajamal1 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:21 pm  (#50) 
Administrator

@everyone

I appreciate Tas_mania's concerns,
which has been more anyone has offered in this regard in quite a while.
I believe I have done what was appropriate.

There is a reason a process is in place for copyright.
Lets please try and enjoy ourselves and not be so zealous with this issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:47 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

:jumpclap :jumpclap :jumpclap :jumpclap :jumpclap :jumpclap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:33 am  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

Download the files, unzip where necessary and re-assemble with Stitcher v0.2b from post#1.

Attachment:
Croissant_Brass_Waves.7z [5.77 MiB]
Downloaded 1193 times

Attachment:
Croissant_Brass_Waves_1.xcf [5.2 MiB]
Downloaded 1190 times

Attachment:
Croissant_Brass_Waves_2.7z [5.86 MiB]
Downloaded 1125 times

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:06 pm  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

re: post#36 CelticHand and Copyright issues.

I don't particularly want to open old wounds and pour salt into them but I came across an interesting website today which may offer some insight, or indeed muddy the waters, about the copyright status of this particular font.

Basically I have used fonts from sites such as Google, Fontzone and Ffonts (FreeFonts) that say the font is free for both personal and commercial use. Some of the downloads have come with OFL (Open Font License) agreements and some have not come with any licensing files but I have believed that if the font site has made the downloads available that they must be satisfied with the integrity of those supplying the fonts in the first place.

I downloaded CelticHand from Ffonts but a link on the site TypOasis to another site called Fontennium suggested that this particular font may have been digitized by the author of that site and then made available for download online. Unfortunately it provided no license information other than a general online statement:

I think that this shows how unclear the use of fonts can be and that we should try our best to research their origins but also that we need to rely upon common sense and the goodwill of sites providing free fonts.

Paul Cookson

Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:13 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

Download the files, unzip the first and third, and re-assemble with Stitcher v0.2b from post#1.

Attachment:
Croissant_Silver_Squares.7z [3.6 MiB]
Downloaded 1082 times

Attachment:
Croissant_Silver_Squares_1.xcf [4.78 MiB]
Downloaded 1157 times

Attachment:
Croissant_Silver_Squares_2.7z [3.48 MiB]
Downloaded 1080 times

Paul Cookson