It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metallic Paints (kinda)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:46 am  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry for the confusion. I's a typo. I revised it so many times as I was experimenting. You only make two duplicate layers and apply the effects to each layer as they are numbered. See the parenthesis after each line of text, that refers to the number of layers you now have.

If that's not clear, just remember it does not matter a whole lot how you do it. I recreated the whole thing using only three layers but you just have to remember to rotate each layer a different direction so you don't get that machine looking pattern repetition. I also moved one duplicate layer about 10 pixels up and to the left and the other one 10 pixels down and to the right. If you try this out you'll see what I mean.

The scaling of the layers is just to get different sizes of dots in the pattern. I got the method from Greg Martin's PS tutorial on making a realistic space background I posted about a week ago.

http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts ... field.html

Let me know if this doesn't help, you don't have to use the exact method I used.
If you remember the pearl brushes I made a while back you may like this one. I made a new glitter pattern and placed it above the black pearl image. I scaled it down to 20% (pearl image was really small) and set the mode to overlay at 30% opacity to make the pearl look glittery. (is that a real word?)

Attachments:
Black pearl.png
Black pearl.png [ 41.43 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:38 am  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Just so everyone will know, I replace the zip file in my other post with the revised process. Glad everyone liked it. I have all my patterns ready to upload to DA but can't seem to figure out how to do anything but upload the pic. Where do you go to include the zip file?

The top 11 are plain glitter and the bottom 11 are with the sparkles

Attachments:
Glitter Patterns.jpg
Glitter Patterns.jpg [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 1882 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

Drac those are amazing. They are perfect, how do you add a gloss layer like on the pearl? That would be the final step in the metallic paints.

EDIT: Nevermind, would just create a clear layer with a gradient set white to transparent and then use that. Also where are these on DA?

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:37 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I have all my patterns ready to upload to DA but can't seem to figure out how to do anything but upload the pic. Where do you go to include the zip file?

It's been almost two years but... Select the zip file as your upload. It will then ask you for a picture file to display.

I don't know if deviantART supports .7z files. You may have to save it as a standard .zip file to upload it. Plus, everyone has software for unzipping .zip files; 7zip is a separate download for Windows so most Windows users won't have it and you'll have to field questions about how to unzip your file.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

Nice job Draconian. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 am  (#46) 
GimpChat Member

Ya know, even following Drac's revised steps. I still don't get the results Drac does! :(

Here's what my try looked like ..

Attachment:
Glitter Try.xcf [1.11 MiB]
Downloaded 144 times

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Draconian how about just attaching a zip for us here.I am dying to try these out on some objects. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 am  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Hey Draconian how about just attaching a zip for us here.I am dying to try these out on some objects. :)

Rod he (I think Drac is a he, sorry if I'm wrong) attached a .7zip file to this thread --> http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3654&start=30#p45686

Which is what I did my try on .. but it looks nothing like results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 am  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

MrBiggz wrote:
Rod wrote:

Rod he (I think Drac is a he, sorry if I'm wrong) attached a .7zip file to this thread --> http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3654&start=30#p45686

Which is what I did my try on .. but it looks nothing like results.

yes that is a txt file i suppose Rod as me was hoping for what represented in this preview

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 am  (#50) 
GimpChat Member

omg these are so perfectly awesome and this thread has been so educational to watch..got the glitter text and waits impatiently for the patterns.....i am all the time needing something like this...for non vehicle pictures...woot!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 am  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

Yup PC that is what i am waiting for. :)
The actual patterns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am  (#52) 
Script Coder

Figured I'd try my hand at it.

I came up with a nice greyscale flake base that you can use and put a colour layer on top (set to the colour blend mode).

Here is the seamless flake pattern:
Attachment:
flake_base_seamless.png
flake_base_seamless.png [ 311.53 KiB | Viewed 2381 times ]

And a sample of a scaled version applied using map to a sphere:
Attachment:
metalic.png
metalic.png [ 234.26 KiB | Viewed 2381 times ]

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 am  (#53) 
Global Moderator

here is mine with grain merge.

Nice pattern RobA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

I think they are great. I kinda figured out a way you can "paint" with these (once drac posts them :hoh ). Use layer masks, kinda obvious now. Would still like to create something that actively creates the flecks and things rather than having to create them with a pattern. One can only wish though....
EDIT BELOW:
Here's an Idea for a plugin. You run the plug in. It asks you to choose a point for a light source. Than it stays open. You paint with the color of your choice. It then generates the flakes/metallic dust of you choice according to the light source. Then it adds a nice gloss layer. Possible with Python-Fu?

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:29 pm  (#55) 
GimpChat Member

I'm still trying to figure out how to get it looking nice with Drac's instructions. I feel so mentally inadequate right now! :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

I know. I think its mostly up to user preference though

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:58 pm  (#57) 
GimpChat Member

Well sports fans, I think I really drop the ball on this one. Mr Biggz you are definitely not mentally deficient however I'm not so sure I can sy the same about myself. When I did these I was experimenting around flipping rotating merging layers and I thought I had it but you can trash that text file I posted. I tried to go thru the steps from scratch and I couldn't recreate it either!

I just spent all morning and this afternoon recreating the steps (there were 15 total).
I did all the screenshots, cleaned up the text file and was all ready to post the tutorial and I save the text file and inadvertantly deleted the @$)_*(^)$#%_)& thing. :oops:

The zip file is 13.5 MB so I'm in the process of uploading it to Mediafire. I'll git 'er done and holler back in a few (right after i get a few more tissues) :gaah

Sorry - Sorry - Sorry - Sorry - Sorry - Sorry - Boy am I sorry! Anybody know how to recover a file once it's deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied?

Edit - Here's the link to the zip file.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7xn3b1t48 ... Glitter.7z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the patterns Draconian and thank you also Rob for the metal flake image. :)
All are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:21 pm  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

Drac ..

Try the software below. I believe its still freeware but I haven't touched it in ages.

www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/glary-undelete/

hope you can recover that file!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 pm  (#60) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Drac. These are amazing!!!!! Working on a WIP now. Thank you all so much for the help. :coolthup :yes

I just cant wait to use them!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next