It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Metallic Paints (kinda)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 am  (#61) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the link Rob I'm gonna try it right now. I snagged your pattern too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 am  (#62) 
Global Moderator

Thank you for the glitter patterns Drac, they are very nice...BTW, I renamed them all...instead of red glitter.pat, I renamed them all starting with the word glitter Red.pat. That way, in my pattern folder, all the glitter patterns will stay together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:08 pm  (#63) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, Molly. You are quite welcome. I did think of changing the file names after I had it all finished, zipped and uploaded. LOL! I'll remember to do that next time I make patterns.

I still can't get the stupid zip file to upload to DA. When you click on the one that says zip, only the pic shows up and there's no zip to download.

I just spent the whole day recreating everything and writing a full blown tutorial with new screenshots. I'll get 'er posted hopefully today or tomorrow. Then you guys can adjust the layers or create your own personal variations with the basic process.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:27 pm  (#64) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I still can't get the stupid zip file to upload to DA. When you click on the one that says zip, only the pic shows up and there's no zip to download.

A suggestion:
Create a standard zip file for upload (7-Zip lets you do that.)
Create a new deviation and select your *.zip file for upload.
Then it will prompt you for the picture file.
(Once it is successfully loaded, you can delete your picture only deviation if you want to.)

That's what works for me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:20 pm  (#65) 
GimpChat Member

I am trying to keep all of the patterns in one directory. Let's say Glitters as mentioned before. I put the directories in the .gimp... patterns. I don't see the extra directories. Where am I going wrong?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:44 pm  (#66) 
GimpChat Member

Slide wrote:
I am trying to keep all of the patterns in one directory. Let's say Glitters as mentioned before. I put the directories in the .gimp... patterns. I don't see the extra directories. Where am I going wrong?
Thanks

Not sure what you mean when you say "extra directories". If you mean you can't find the glitter patterns when you use the bucket tool, you may have placed them in the wrong folder. The .pat files go in the patterns folder inside your "user" folder. For Windows XP it would be C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\.gimp-2.6\patterns. You also have to refresh your patterns if Gimp is already open, or you can close Gimp and then reopen it for the new patterns to appear in the bucket tool dialog.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 pm  (#67) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean when you say "extra directories". If you mean you can't find the glitter patterns when you use the bucket tool, you may have placed them in the wrong folder. The .pat files go in the patterns folder inside your "user" folder. For Windows XP it would be C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\.gimp-2.6\patterns. You also have to refresh your patterns if Gimp is already open, or you can close Gimp and then reopen it for the new patterns to appear in the bucket tool dialog.

Hope that helps.

I have them in slide\.gimp2.6\patterns\Glitter Patterns
Attachment:
pats.PNG
pats.PNG [ 21.2 KiB | Viewed 1934 times ]

What is the bucket you're talking about?
And thank you sir... :hehe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm  (#68) 
GimpChat Member

Ahhhhh. Can't have a separate folder inside of the patterns folder cuz gimp can't find 'em. They have to be "loose" and mixed in with the others. Only way you can do the separate folder thing is to use GURM.

The "bucket" I was referring to is the Bucket Fill Tool that you use when you want to fill something with a color or pattern.

....and stop calling me sir, I have a reputation to protect! :rofl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:36 pm  (#69) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
Ahhhhh. Can't have a separate folder inside of the patterns folder cuz gimp can't find 'em. They have to be "loose" and mixed in with the others. Only way you can do the separate folder thing is to use GURM.

The "bucket" I was referring to is the Bucket Fill Tool that you use when you want to fill something with a color or pattern.

....and stop calling me sir, I have a reputation to protect! :rofl

I thought that would get ya going. Ok I'll move them out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm  (#70) 
GimpChat Member

Actually Slide you can set a path to that folder via Edit>Preferences>Folders>Patterns
Set a path to that folder and Gimp will load them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm  (#71) 
Global Moderator

Or you can open the folder with the glitter patterns, edit > select all > copy or Ctrl-C. In your Slide user folder click Gimp 2.6 > double click patterns > Ctrl-V or Paste. Now go to your patterns in Gimp and click the refresh button OR close then open GIMP.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 pm  (#72) 
GimpChat Member

I thought it could be done someway. I'll give that a try and see what I come up with.
Thank you sir...
Whoops I did it again. :hehe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:24 pm  (#73) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Or you can open the folder with the glitter patterns, edit > select all > copy or Ctrl-C. In your Slide user folder click Gimp 2.6 > double click patterns > Ctrl-V or Paste. Now go to your patterns in Gimp and click the refresh button OR close then open GIMP.

Thanks Molly that's what I did, but I thought there was a way that I could see the separate dirs like Rod said. I think that's what he meant. Maybe that wasn't what he meant. :oops: They are there in the patterns now all over the place.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:07 pm  (#74) 
GimpChat Member

That is what i meant.You can direct Gimp to a sub folder in the patterns directory to open those other patterns you have sorted.There was no need to move them. :lol
Then if you get another glitter pattern just simply throw it in your Glitter folder and it will load with Gimp start.

You can do this with any of Gimps resources.Brushes, plug-ins, scripts, gradients, ect..ect

Sorry if i confused you Slide.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 pm  (#75) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Rod.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:08 pm  (#76) 

Is there any way to upload a standard .zip file? i would like to try and use these patterns on one of my images that has to be done in a week.