It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curves presets
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:26 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I did a massively long tutorial on the construction of this file in the text tutorial section. But I know there may be people interested in this sort of thing that don't frequent the tutorials or maybe don't have the urge to do coding on their computer. So I thought I'd share the file here as well.

The .txt file contained in the zip has somewhere around 100 Curves presets copied in it. These are genuine, fully functional presets. You just have to copy the contents of the file into your gimp-curves-tool.settings file. On my version of Linux this was under
~/.gimp-2.8/tool-options/
. Other Linux distros, Windows, and Mac will certainly differ. It may also be possible to import the file via the 'import from file' option in the Curves dialog. But I don't know if that will work for a file with multiple curves in it.

There are curves in the file that have been commented out. My GIMP install didn't like them. Maybe they can be fixed or maybe they are junk. I haven't experimented with trying to fix them but it seemed silly to delete them without knowing for sure.

*EDIT*
The "PresetsUpdate" zip has all 99 Curves tool presets in one file that can be copied & pasted into your gimp-curves-tool.settings file.
The "IndividualPresets" zip contains the exact same 99 presets as individual files. I thought this might be more convenient for some applications. So you can extract the individual files to your "Curves" folder and call them when needed from the Curves dialog via the "import from file" option.

Attachments:
File comment: These are the same presets as individual files rather than a complete .settings file.
IndividualPresets.zip [354.47 KiB]
Downloaded 1214 times
File comment: The zip contains the updated file along with a patch to add the fixed presets to the original file. Those who uploaded the original can either add the patch or switch to the new file. The new file does have quite a few tweaks also. I fixed a ton of spelling and style errors in the preset names so they would look better in the menu.
PresetsUpdate.zip [285.47 KiB]
Downloaded 1649 times

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Curves presets
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:39 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
:tyspin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:02 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

How do I add this file to my gimp windows system? I run gimp on windows 7 64 bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:11 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
How do I add this file to my gimp windows system? I run gimp on windows 7 64 bit.

Open the gimp-curves-tool.settings file in notepad. The file is in the .gimp-2.8/tool-options folder . Now open the file you downloaded here in the same notepad editor.
Select all and copy and paste the contents of the file you downloaded into the settings file (under everything else). Save and open the colors/curves tool in GIMP and you should see them listed here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:15 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

If anybody knows of sources for more presets they'd like to see added to a settings file, let me know. I see the same sort of file in use for Levels, Color Balance, etc. So t is possible we could collect quite a few settings into just a few files and everybody could have access to a very handy resource. I'm certain the code I used to create this file will work just as well on the others.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:58 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

How many curve presets are there in this file? Is there a screen shot available to see what all of the colors are?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:32 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

At the moment there are 80-something presets. Doing screenshots would be impractical. I'm working on fixing just a few more. I'll have the updated version online this evening.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:20 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Sasquatch wrote:
At the moment there are 80-something presets. Doing screenshots would be impractical. I'm working on fixing just a few more. I'll have the updated version online this evening.

Okay, well can you at least let us know what the last preset in this file is?

The last preset I have listed is yellowing-dark-corners.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:27 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Okay, well can you at least let us know what the last preset in this file is?

The last preset I have listed is yellowing-dark-corners.

That is the correct last preset.
Abao-color-lba
Farm shed
Peach
Alien
Film
Pink-blue-gradient
Beam-gradient
Gothic-style
Pink-lady
Blue light
Green light
Polaroid 600 expired
Blue pastel
Green pastel
Polaroid 600 expired run
Blues
Hdr
Polluted moon
Bright tea party
High-flesh
Purple dream
Bright-red
High-pink
Purple-fantasy
Bronze
High-whitening
Purple-sensation
Candy sunset
Ice-spirit
Rainbow-gradient
Classic-hdr
Imperial dominance
Rainforest
Classic-lomo
Impression
Red light
Classic-studio
Japanese
Red pastel
Cold-blue
Life-sketch
Retro
Cold-green
Light tea party
Retro-lomo
Cold-purple
Little-flesh
Rose cream
Colorful-glow
Little-fresh
Shadow extreme
Little-pink
Smart-color
Curve1
Little-whitening
Soft
Curve2
Max chrome
Soft chrome
Curve3
Medium chrome
Stars
Curve4
Midnight throne
Strong-contrast
Curve5
Milk
Sunrise princess
Dark tea party
Moderate-flesh
Supernova
Deep-blue
Moderate-pink
Twilight sky
Elegant
Moderate-whitening
Vibrant
Elsamuko-light-blue
New-japanese
Warm
Elsamuko-redscale
Night-view
Warm-yellow
Evening walk
Ocean
Yellowing-dark-corners
Fairybox
Old-photos
Contours - Cone
Contours - Half round
Contours - Cone inverted
Contours - Ring
Contours - Cove deep
Contours - Rolling Slope descending
Contours - Cove shallow
Contours - Rounded Steps
Contours - Double Ring
Contours - Sawtooth
Contours - Gaussian
I think that's all of them. They're out of order in the list because I didn't format them before posting. According to the file count on my file browser there are exactly one hundred presets now.

I'm about to edit the first post to attach the new zip with the updated file.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:35 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Alright, the updated file is attached to the original post. If you haven't already installed the original version, just toss it. The new version has all the same presets and seven new ones that were commented out in the original due to being in the wrong format. MareroQ showed me how to fix them, so I fixed them and added them.

I also included a patch in the zip that has just the seven fixed presets. That way people who already installed the original file don't have to reinstall the whole thing. They can just add the patch to what they have. Of course, that won't include the corrections I made to the names in the original. So if you want the names to look proper you'll have to swap the updated file in place of the original.

You do NOT need to add the patch with the updated file. The updated file has everything on the patch. The patch is just a convenience for those who don't want to swap the whole file but who do want the extra seven presets. You could also just add the patch to what you currently have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:06 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Congratulations on a good solution. :yes
Fresh look brings results. :coolthup

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:26 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

It works. I just have doubles but I'll keep them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:

You could easily delete the doubles via the Curves dialog. There's a "manage presets" option in the import/export menu. The doubles should show up right next to each other. I was wondering if they would get weeded out or not. But I didn't want to try it myself. I've just been deleting the original file since I don't have anything else saved.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:53 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Sasquatch wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

You could easily delete the doubles via the Curves dialog. There's a "manage presets" option in the import/export menu. The doubles should show up right next to each other. I was wondering if they would get weeded out or not. But I didn't want to try it myself. I've just been deleting the original file since I don't have anything else saved.

I think I'll keep them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:40 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

As I posted before, I'm very much interested in finding more presets for Curves and the other color tools such as Levels, Color Balance, etc. I can easily transfer them into the appropriate file to share with the group. If anybody knows of clumps of presets that can be distributed, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:25 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Just an update. I added another zip to the original post. This one contains all the presets from the single file but each as an individual file.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Are these presets compatible with gimp 2.10.6?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:15 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:

I honestly have no idea. I've been out of touch for so long I've forgotten most everything I know about GIMP. I switched from Linux to Windows and haven't even tried to get all my filters, brushes, and presets reinstalled. I tend to think curves wouldn't change much from one version to the next, but who knows. You could always test a couple to see before trying to install all of them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Sasquatch deserves a big thanks for this big bundle of presets.
Thank you.
-Eureka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Sasquatch wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

I honestly have no idea. I've been out of touch for so long I've forgotten most everything I know about GIMP. I switched from Linux to Windows and haven't even tried to get all my filters, brushes, and presets reinstalled. I tend to think curves wouldn't change much from one version to the next, but who knows. You could always test a couple to see before trying to install all of them.

I tried getting the presets to work with gimp 2.10.6 and they don't work for me.