It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clearlooks Gimp 2.10 Color Hinted Themes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello everybody,

I'm not allowed to post clickable links yet, but I'd like to let you know about the Gimp 2.10.20 update I made to an older collection of themes I had released back in 2014.

EDIT: @MareroQ was kind enough to include the link in the 1st reply, during my new-user restriction (thank you). I can now post links, so I'm putting them here too:

1. On DeviantArt (Clearlooks engine for Windows has a separate d/l link)
2. On gnome-look.org (everything in one zip-file)

The themes home page is on DeviantArt, but it allows D/L only to register members. I offer Alternative D/L Links at the bottom of the DA description page, but I figured it would be more convenient to put the themes on gnome-look too

You should also be able to find the themes easily by googling something like:
gimp migf1 "gnome-look"
or
gimp migf1 themes "gnome-look"

Anyway, I have only tested them on Windows, mostly with Gimp 2.10.20 (a few kind guys helped me confirm they look as intended, on gimp-forum).

However, I'd appreciate feedback from Linux users, since I'm only using Windows. The thing is that the themes need the Clearlooks GTK2 theme-engine. I bundle the Windows version in the pack (courtesy of partha), and all is needed is to just copy a .dll file into Gimp's engines\ folder.

On Linux however, users would probably need to install the GTK2 runtime and the "gtk2-engines" package themselves, because I'm not sure they even ship by default with modern distros.

Alternatively, I guess one could search for the 'libclearlooks.so" file, especially for their distro and copy it to the directory Gimp looks for its theme-engines (or find and compile the libclearlooks.so from the sources, if they are up to it). This would let them use the GTK2 runtime which already ships with Gimp, thus sparing themselves a system-wide GTK2 installation. But that's way too technical and out of scope for a themes bundle.

Anyway, any kind of feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks and apologies for the long post!

Last edited by migf1 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Clearlooks Gimp 2.10 Color Hinted Themes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Website address:
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1396565/

Thanks migf1.
I chose Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2 for myself (with Paynekj supplement viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10531&start=50#p242253) because it resembles Aurora-Midnight.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you very much MareroQ for adding the web address, for the feedback, and for the link to the other topic!

If I got it right, you tried the themes on Linux, yes? If so, did you have to manually install GTK2 and gtk2-engines, or they were already installed on your system? I am really interested in knowing if the themes work on Linux, without much hassle.

Regarding the Aurora Midnight theme, I've never used it. Actually I kinda tried to make the dark variant of my themes look like a hybrid between the dark UI of Photoshop and Corel PaintShop Pro, with the added visuals of color-hinted elements.

I have put a lot of comments in the gtkrc file(s), hoping it will be easier for users to further customize them to their needs. For example, the highlight-color, the font-size, the settings for showing (or not) icons inside menus and buttons, are some easy edits anyone can do in the gtkrc file (it is all explained in the Redme.txt file).

Thanks again for the feedback! Please let me know if you tried the themes on Windows or on Linux.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:14 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I tried Dark Pink on MX Linux. Was hoping for a violet theme. Easy "replace all" with Geany if you want to change one color to another.
Had to install gtk2-engines using the MX Package Installer first.
Seems to work fine, but after switching to system theme in the preferences and back it wasn't correct anymore, had to restart Gimp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Nidhogg wrote:
I tried Dark Pink on MX Linux. Was hoping for a violet theme. Easy "replace all" with Geany if you want to change one color to another.
Had to install gtk2-engines using the MX Package Installer first.
Seems to work fine, but after switching to system theme in the preferences and back it wasn't correct anymore, had to restart Gimp.

Thank you very much! It is a relief to know it works on Linux without much hassle (because I've switched to Windows since a few years, so I cannot test myself).

Yes, a Gimp restart is always recommended after changing the theme (one more reason being that the default themes use the pixmap theme-engine, while mine use the Clearlooks theme engine).

To customize the colors to anything you want, you only need to edit 3 lines, in the gtkrc file:
gtk_color_scheme = "hl_color:#3380B3"      # Current Highlight Color
gtk_color_scheme = "fg_normal: #cccccc\nfg_disabled: #636363\nfg_hover: #FFFFFF"
gtk_color_scheme = "bg_normal: #3C3C3C\nbg_disabled: #515151\nbg_hover: #202020"

Their corresponding line numbers should be 71, 84 and 85, respectivley (or close to that).

There is no other hard-coded color in the gtkrc file. Every shade used is derived from the colors defined in those 3 lines (I mean there is no need for Search & Replace, but you can do it of course).

You can also keep Gimp open, inside the Themes selection list dialog, then in Genie (or whatever other text editor) change one or more colors in those lines. Save the gtkrc, then bring the Gimp window in the front and hit the "Reload Current Theme" button, below the themes list. It should show you the changes.

For example, bg_normal is the color of the generic background, fg_color is the normal color for text, fg_disabled is the color of disabled text, etc.

Keep in mind though, that dark and light themes are not operating exactly the same. For example, in dark themes, the mouse-hover-color for currently inactive buttons is lighter compared to the color of currently active buttons. In the light themes, it is the opposite.

Thanks again for the feedback!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:40 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

For Windows10 and Gimp-2.10.20 works fine.
For Ubuntu Focal Foss I installed gtk2-engines but the result is not good.

Attachments:
Ubuntu  FF Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2.png
Ubuntu FF Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2.png [ 52.48 KiB | Viewed 10401 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi MareroQ,

thanks again for the feedback!

That's how it looks when the clearlooks theme-engine is not used. You said you already installed the gtk2-engines, but does your system also have the GTK2 runtime installed?

The following command in the terminal used to tell you which version of gtk2 exists on your system (I do NOT know if it still works for modern versions of Ubuntu):
dpkg -s libgtk2.0-0|grep '^Version'

Similarly for gtk3:
dpkg -s libgtk-3-0|grep '^Version'

This one used to show you all the installed GTK versions on your system (lines started with "i", for "installed"):
dpkg -l libgtk* | grep -e '^i' | grep -e 'libgtk-*[0-9]'

Maybe your system is missing the GTK2 runtime? I read for example that 20.04 dropped Python 2 completely (and if you need it, you have to install it manually). Maybe it's the same for GTK2 too?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:39 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa)

dpkg -s libgtk2.0-0|grep '^Version'
Version: 2.24.32-4ubuntu4

dpkg -l libgtk* | grep -e '^i' | grep -e 'libgtk-*[0-9]'
ii  libgtk-3-0:amd64            3.24.18-1ubuntu1   amd64        GTK graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk-3-bin                3.24.18-1ubuntu1   amd64        programs for the GTK graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk-3-common             3.24.18-1ubuntu1   all          common files for the GTK graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk-3-dev:amd64          3.24.18-1ubuntu1   amd64        development files for the GTK library
ii  libgtk-3-doc                3.24.18-1ubuntu1   all          documentation for the GTK graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2-perl                2:1.24993-1ubuntu2 amd64        Perl interface to the 2.x series of the Gimp Toolkit library
ii  libgtk2.0-0:amd64           2.24.32-4ubuntu4   amd64        GTK graphical user interface library - old version
ii  libgtk2.0-bin               2.24.32-4ubuntu4   amd64        programs for the GTK graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-cil               2.12.40-3          amd64        CLI binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
ii  libgtk2.0-cil-dev           2.12.40-3          amd64        CLI binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
ii  libgtk2.0-common            2.24.32-4ubuntu4   all          common files for the GTK graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-dev:amd64         2.24.32-4ubuntu4   amd64        development files for the GTK library
ii  libgtk3-perl                0.037-1            all          Perl bindings for the GTK+ graphical user interface library

python2
Version: 2.7.17-2ubuntu4

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Oh, it seems like GTK2 is indeed installed.

This is bad news :(
I wish I could test myself, but I have no access to any linux machine any more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:34 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Detriment (I have both installed - via dual-boot).
For Ubuntu, I have my favorite Aurora-Midnight theme (after compiling libaurora) - but it doesn't work properly for Windows and Gimp> 2.8

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:54 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I think I have found something!!!

Almost every defined style in the gtkrc file, ends with the following line:
  #engine "clearlooks"  { }

I think this might be the issue on Linux. Try deleting the # sign from ALL occurrences of those lines.

Put otherwise, Replace every:
  #engine "clearlooks"  { }

with:
  engine "clearlooks"  { }

I have a feeling this might fix the issue. On Windows it is enough for the clearlooks engine to be defined in the default style., but maybe on Linux it should be specified inside every defined style. Actually I checked again my older themes, and they have that line enabled in all defined styles.

Most text editors provide a Search & Replace function, so you do not have to do it manually for every line.

Please let me know if that fixed the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

After the changes it looks like this:

Attachments:
Ubuntu  FF Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2 -new.png
Ubuntu FF Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2 -new.png [ 58.93 KiB | Viewed 5250 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:30 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, much better now!

The little highlight-line at the top of the tabs is a clear sign that the Clearlooks engine is now used :)

The one thing that looks off now is the white areas outside the progress bars.

Maybe the line:
engine "clearlooks" { }

should also be added to defined styles that do not have it? (I'm not sure).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:45 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

@MareroQ:

if you keep having those white areas, inside the "entry" style there should be a line like this (line number 481, or close to that):
#base[NORMAL] = @bg_disabled         # Bg fill & border color, for areas OUTSIDE the progress-bar (example: Opacity sliders) - does NOT affect spin-buttons

Try un-commenting it:
base[NORMAL] = @bg_disabled         # Bg fill & border color, for areas OUTSIDE the progress-bar (example: Opacity sliders) - does NOT affect spin-buttons

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:20 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I admire Your speed in solving the problem - now everything is OK. :hi5
Thanks for sharing. :bigthup

Attachments:
Ubuntu  FF Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2 -OK.png
Ubuntu FF Clearlooks Dark SMALL (Blue Hints) v1.2 -OK.png [ 53.88 KiB | Viewed 5229 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:31 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
I admire Your speed in solving the problem - now everything is OK. :hi5

Hahaha, thank you! And I admire your patience :)

What solved the problem? Un-commenting the line" base[NORMAL] = @bg_disabled ?

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. :bigthup

As I thank you for helping me tackle this issue. Now I need to make an update of the themes LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Yes (all the corrections You provided).
I also checked - these patches do not disturb in Windows.
I am always happy to test new products and if there is a need again someday - I am available. :bump

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

This is great! Thanks again!

Yeah, on Windows they are not needed (I can test them on Windows myself).

PS. Btw guys, if you are not in a big hurry, I will make these changes in ALL the themes and I'll update the D/L. They should be ready later today (or tomorrow max). I'll let you know

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:17 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

v1.2.1 is now up guys: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1396565/

Thank you very much for all your help!

PS. I also included the themes links in the 1st post of the topic (I can finally post links :) )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Applies to Windows.
Who reads Readme.txt - knows. ;)
Who doesn't read, look at the screenshot. :hoh
Just a suggestion - the default should probably be the opposite (with icons).

Attachments:
A theme with no icons on the menu.png
A theme with no icons on the menu.png [ 40.93 KiB | Viewed 4809 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!