It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Photoshop 2018+ Bindings for Gimp 2.10.20
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:18 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi guys,

I finally finished this little project earlier today, hoping it would help people who are switching from Photoshop to Gimp. Eventually, they should end up learning the native Gimp bindings, but until then it might ease a little their transition.

Let me just paste the links and some basic info...

Homepage (on Deviant Art)
Alternative on gnome-look (for non-DA members)

Switching from Photoshop to Gimp can be challenging. These bindings convert more than 120 Gimp 2.10.20 keyboard shortcuts to Photoshop CC 2018 (or later) equivalents, or to reasonably close ones. They also change the mouse behavior, though only zooming by scrolling the wheel without needing the Ctrl key matches Ps behavior (however, the mouse bindings will hopefully make your life a little easier regardless).

The Complete Reference is available online as a Google Sheet. AFAIK (and as of this writing) these are the most comprehensive and the most up to date Photoshop bindings for Gimp, available anywhere.

If your favorite Photoshop keyboard-shortcut is missing or works differently, first have a look at the "KEY BINDINGS (INCOMPATIBILITIES RATIONALE)" section, in the included Readme.txt file.

To further customize the bindings yourselves, see the "BINDINGS CUSTOMIZATION" section, in the Readme.txt file.

There is no setup, you only need to replace 2 files (menurc and controllerrc) in Gimp's configuration folder. Keep a backup first, so you can restore your prior customization (if any). By simply deleting those 2 files, Gimp re-creates them the next time you run it, assigning its default settings.

I've created and tested the bindings on Windows, but they should work just fine on any platform, as they should also work fine with any theme (in the ad I'm using my very own Clearlooks themes).

The included Readme.txt file is quite detailed, so have a look there first if you have questions.

PS. If you guys also want my sessionrc file, which takes care of the screen layout (making it more Photoshop-ish, like the one shown in the screenshots of my Clearlooks Themes) let me know and I can share it here. But I am not sure if it is monitor independent. In any case, I'm using a FHD 1920x1080 monitor, so I can share the file with anyone interested.

EDIT:
PS2. If you are looking for Corel PaintShop Pro bindings instead, have a look here.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Photoshop 2018+ Bindings for Gimp 2.10.20
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:18 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

There's also this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7g2JGyJeQ

I followed everything and it works. The only thing I didn't do was the keyboard shortcuts because I don't care to do that.