It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I select a pasted selection?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:55 pm  (#1) 

Hi, super new to Gimp, only been using it a couple of days. Sorry if this question is repetitive but I searched the topics and didn't find anything similar that already answered it...

I made a selection on a layer using the smart scissors tool, then copied and pasted it onto the main layer that im working with. After resizing it, i clicked out and the selection was no longer "floating" or selected with the area of the dotted lines around it moving. Is there a way I can re-select the pasted image so that I can still edit and move it? Been Googling and Youtubing for awhile and still cant seem to figure it out. There's another pasted section I wasn't finished working with as well, but I can't seem to select it.
Help, please!
Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do I select a pasted selection?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:17 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
arieldelrey wrote:
Hi, super new to Gimp, only been using it a couple of days. Sorry if this question is repetitive but I searched the topics and didn't find anything similar that already answered it...

I made a selection on a layer using the smart scissors tool, then copied and pasted it onto the main layer that im working with. After resizing it, i clicked out and the selection was no longer "floating" or selected with the area of the dotted lines around it moving. Is there a way I can re-select the pasted image so that I can still edit and move it? Been Googling and Youtubing for awhile and still cant seem to figure it out. There's another pasted section I wasn't finished working with as well, but I can't seem to select it.
Help, please!
Thanks

When you say you can't select it again.
How is it that you are trying to select this and failing?
If it was pasted into a layer,
which was already occupied by something.
It is now part of this layer and would need to be selected again using the :freesel Free Select Tool,
or some other selection method.
This is determined by what you see within this layer and how it's composed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:24 pm  (#3) 

Hi there!
Thanks, that's very helpful. I read/researched a lot and have a better grasp now of what layers actually are (I didn't quite understand before so I think that was my mistake) and how to manage different selections. Just takes awhile to get familiarized.
Thanks so much

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
arieldelrey wrote:
Hi there!
Thanks, that's very helpful. I read/researched a lot and have a better grasp now of what layers actually are (I didn't quite understand before so I think that was my mistake) and how to manage different selections. Just takes awhile to get familiarized.
Thanks so much

Ok!
Perhaps adding a new layer with transparency.
To paste the copied selection into,
would have worked better in your case.