It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two new patterns
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:30 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

While Graechan was creating that great Wire Art Text script, I was fooling around with another pattern or two. For the first one, I combined two layers of an interwoven Wire Screen pattern I made based on my Metal Wurx - Part VI tutorial. One layer in the background at 25% and another layer at 50%, turned the whole thing to a 45o angle to create a Double Screen pattern. (For now, just scale up the pattern to see the detail, I will be making a hi-res version later on)

The second one I had to create from scratch. I was after a pattern of dots or circles that were offset but eqadistant from each other in all directions like so...

I took the new pattern called Dots_Offset_Thirds and used it to make some perforated metal with a little bump mapping and a couple of curves applied and finally a Gradient layer for lighting effect. I placed this layer on top of the Double Screen pattern and added a drop shadow. By moving the layers around a little and adding some other color layers, I was able to create several different combinations using different metallic colors. I'll be posting them all later on when I get the hi-res version of the Double Screen pattern completed.

This here is an example of one done with just the perforated metal in Brass and no color added to the double screen layer.

You can of course add the Brass color to just the screen without the perforated metal layer...

or you can make everything with a Brass color like this one.

Here's the xcf with most of the layers intact, the three patterns and the pics that are shown here. To make your own variations, follow the three steps below to get the combination you want.

A. Perforated Metal Only - Turn on the visibility of the Perf Metal, Double Screen and Drop Shadow layers. Turn on Perf Screen and Purf Overlay layers of the metal color you want, and turn Make sure the visibility on all the other layers is turned off

B. Screen Only - Turn off the visibility of the Perf Metal and Drop Shadow layers. Turn on the visibility of the Full Overlay and Full Screen layers of whichever color you want (Brass Full Overlay and Brass Full Screen for example) and make sure the visibility of everything else is off.

C. Everything Metallic - Turn on Perf Metal, Double Screen, Drop Shadow and the Full Overlay and Full Screen layers of the metallic color of choice. Everything else is off.

They are all seamless so have fun making a whole set of patterns. Remember if you are not using the screen layer, save as a png to preserve the transparency.

Attachments:
New Patterns.7z [726.66 KiB]
Downloaded 227 times

Post subject: Re: Two new patterns
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Drac. Hopefully I'll make some use of them.