Switch to full style
Questions or suggestion regarding gimpchat.com
Post a reply

GIMP Chat Banner Challenge

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:35 pm

I wanted to toss out a request for some alternatives to our current banner. While I really like the current banner and it was a team effort by the Charter Members to create, it would be cool to have other alternatives to rotate it and out.

The current banner is 930px wide and 200px tall. Any new banner should also be this exact size, as well. Any banner should include the site's motto; "Where Imagination Meets Innovation".

We could also have variations of the current banner for holidays and other special occasions. Currently, we have only one other variation for Christmas.

I'm attaching the xcf file for the current banner for anyone who would like to create a variation. Here is a the original thread where the banner was initially created.

Please see this post for a complete explanation of how to create a banner that will integrate seamlessly into Gimp Chat

Thanks in advanced to anyone who would like to participate!

Re: GIMP Chat Banner Challenge

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Great idea Tux.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:46 pm

That original post is interesting reading :)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 pm

That's an excellent idea. They do that in Fractal Forums. The members post their banners into a "gallery" and the site automatically picks one in random order on each page load.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, a few new banners to rotate is what I had in mind, Erisian. They could be variations on the current theme or something new altogether. I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I love the current banner so much, I would never be able to come up with something better. Still, it would be interesting to see others at least in a gallery.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 pm

It will be fun to tackle. It seems like most of us are always waiting for a chance to take on new projects. I've always found it neat, yes, the term is outdated, that every time someone posts a graphic or photo everybody will jump on it and come with new ideas and ways to do it.
There was another forum I occasionally dropped by, all they were interested in game avatars, and nothing else. gimpusers seems to be hard to navigate and the people seem to be unfriendly. I know this is off topic but I wanted to say it somewhere.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:28 am

I think this is a splendid idea! :)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:00 pm

2-ton wrote:I love the current banner so much, I would never be able to come up with something better. Still, it would be interesting to see others at least in a gallery.

I also like the current one
here's a quick try

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

That is a really nice job alc. I love the blue's

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 am

alc59 wrote:here's a quick try

You've captured a lot of cool elements in your design. The monitor with GIMP displayed and the logos for the 3 major platforms is a nice touch. As Molly mentioned, the blue color scheme is nice as well and fits with the site. The only problem I see is that the shadow gets clipped over on the right side. The shadow could be extended or we could include a couple of vertical bars on each side of the banner.

Nice job, alc59. This is definitely a contender to go into the rotation.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:30 pm

The new Blue-Ice script is so cool i thought why not utilize it in the banner.

Thanks Graechan! :) :bigthup

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 pm

I am still trying to decide whether I like these or not.

I modified #3

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 pm

molly wrote:I am still trying to decide whether I like these or not.

I do! :)
Very creative.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Thank you Rod, yours is very nice too. They are all so different and I can't wait to see all the different variations.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm

A lot of creativity here. i like them all.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 pm

You are all infinitely better at this than I am and I stand in envy of your talents. By the same token, I love this website and truly wish I had more time to spend on it. If nothing else I would like to showcase what I have learned thus far, bearing in mind that I knew nothing of GIMP when I joined GIMP CHAT. I am proud to say this site taught me everything I know, for what that's worth. If I can learn to GIMP, then anyone can.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 pm

That looks very good, Mike. Nice and clean.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I love seeing all of these, they are all good.
Post a reply