It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Gimp Chat page has changed---How do I get it back to normal?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:55 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Founder

Molly, your board preferences is not there because I've eliminated/overridden that option and everyone is now on the rotating banner theme. I will re-enable the option to give users the ability to select the mobile theme but at present only one member has chosen to use the mobile theme and they haven't posted here in quite a while.

Check to see if you have images enabled in FireFox..

If that's not it, can you check this site using another browser? Can you install arora or mirdori browsers from the repos or perhaps Opera from here.

It's actually a good idea to have a couple of different browsers installed. For example, Firefox doesn't play well with my power company but Opera does.

One other thing that changed yesterday is that hot linking was blocked, because too many other website were embedding graphics images they leeched from here and it was causing a dramatic drain on server resources and slowing down this site. That had to stop.

Just check to see if you can access GC using another browser in Linux so we know it's a Firefox problem on your end.

Post subject: Re: My Gimp Chat page has changed---How do I get it back to normal?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm  (#22) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Tux, I downloaded and installed Opera and my page is looking normal now. Can't say I like Opera, I had it before but if this is what is more stable at this time, I will stick with it for a while. I can't get my bookmarks imported over, Anyway, that is minor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:42 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

@Molly:
...Just to let you know, I had no images within posts (not always) and no banner displayed on top since a few days, and reading through this thread, I saw that adblock could be the problem, indeed there was a filtering active and I can't remember if I was responsible for the filtering or if it was within a subscription.

Shortly, try to adblock//deactivate for gimpchat only then reboot firefox.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
Thank you Tux, I downloaded and installed Opera and my page is looking normal now. Can't say I like Opera, I had it before but if this is what is more stable at this time, I will stick with it for a while. I can't get my bookmarks imported over, Anyway, that is minor.

Well, I was just wanting to confirm that it was a Firefox problem you're having. Clearly it is. Your next step would be to to disable all add-ons/plug-ins in Firefox and check to see if you're having the same problem. If you're still having the same problem, try clearing your cache from the prefs menu. If disabling the addons fixes the problem, re-enable them one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem.

If nothing works, try creating a new Firefox profile. To create a new profile, close Firefox and in terminal, run..

firefox -P

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pro ... le-manager

I certainly wouldn't use any ad blocking package that tosses away a website's style graphics. White-listing with noscript works really well to eliminate ads for me. It's all I use, or need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:10 pm  (#25) 
Global Moderator

Ok, I now have a profile created. I also have a new Firefox and everything is back to the way it was yesterday.
I also downloaded and installed noscript to both FF and Opera.
BTW, disabling the add/ons and plugins didn't help, just so you know. I will be switching back and forth between browsers.

Thank you so much Tux for your patience and knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Founder

If I understand you correctly, the new profile in Firefox works OK?

If so, save your passwords, move your bookmarks from the old profile to the new profile and delete the old profile. You can add back in the addons at any time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:23 pm  (#27) 
Global Moderator

ok, thank you, I will do that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:13 am  (#28) 
Global Moderator

Everything isn't working quite okay yet
just realized that I can't use smiley's.
In chat I get a message in red that says "Your browser does not support Java Script OR Java is disabled. According to every where I looked, Javascript is enabled. I can't upload the screen shot showing this because the upload file button won't work. Images also don't work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:20 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Molly , I hope you get it working again. I have a question for Linux people. In Windows you can do a restore to an earlier checkpoint. Is there a facility in Linux to take system snapshots and create a checkpoint for a later restore? That would have been a quick solution for Molly if that was the case. I ask this because I frequently do something in Ubuntu and not being very adept at Ubuntu I have trouble undoing things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:53 am  (#30) 
Global Moderator

I was thinking of this very question yesterday. I know how to restore back to any date I prefer in Windows but I haven't investigated if this can be done in Fedora. That would probably be my answer if it is feasible.

su
yum install backintime-gnome notify-python

I went into Fedora forum and asked the question and them recommended this
Backintime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:07 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
In chat I get a message in red that says "Your browser does not support Java Script OR Java is disabled. According to every where I looked, Javascript is enabled. I can't upload the screen shot showing this because the upload file button won't work. Images also don't work.

You mentioned that you installed noscript, which by default, blocks javascript (and all other scripts) on every website. You will need to allow scripts for the websites you frequently visit. You won't need to allow all the scripts on every site you use but most sites require you to allow some scripts to be able to be use the site properly. Gimp Chat requires that you allow gimpchat.com in noscript in order to use all the features of this site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 pm  (#32) 
Global Moderator

Thanks, but I noticed that so I disabled noscript to see what would have and it doesn't change. I can't even use the search in GC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:06 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Founder

Clearly, something else is blocking javascript. You're just gonna have to find it. Make sure nothing else is installed. That's about the only thing I can think of.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:12 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

Molly - have you changed anything at all on your computer between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:19 pm  (#35) 
Global Moderator

yes I installed a small extension and I now deleted it plus the other two extensions I had. Nothing has changed, It really bugs me that it shows right in my preferences that Javascript is active or installed. and all my errors say it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 pm  (#36) 
Global Moderator

After I don't know how many grueling hrs looking and searching for what could be wrong, I closed FF and opened opera, after looking in all the corners I finally went to tools, extensions and there was a script in there that was activated against ads. I deleted it and then I was able to use the smiley's and the upload button. I then went back to firefox and that also worked. I got my note all typed out in this thread and was going to add a couple smiley's and firefox closed. I opened it and then the smileys and upload stopped working again.
Bottom line is Opera is working, Firefox isn't. :roll: :roll: screen shot below of what I removed.

Would it do any good if I removed Firefox and installed it again or NOT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
After I don't know how many grueling hrs looking and searching for what could be wrong, I closed FF and opened opera, after looking in all the corners I finally went to tools, extensions and there was a script in there that was activated against ads. I deleted it and then I was able to use the smiley's and the upload button. I then went back to firefox and that also worked. I got my note all typed out in this thread and was going to add a couple smiley's and firefox closed. I opened it and then the smileys and upload stopped working again.
Bottom line is Opera is working, Firefox isn't. :roll: :roll: screen shot below of what I removed.

hey molly, maybe you should try and do a restore back to a point when you know it was working right...hope this helps....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:09 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:

I've never seen NotScripts before. I guess that is a Opera package like NoScript. Let focus on one browser problem at a time, lest we risk massive confusion here. :)

Anyway, I'm not exactly clear on what you have installed. Can you post screen shots of your Extensions and Plugins from the addons manager in FF?

Here are mine..

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:26 am  (#39) 
Global Moderator

Molly,
I was having issues with Firefox as well. Ever since Firefox 15 and Flash 11.3. One other plugin issue was AdBlock Plus (OK now).

If you haven't already try, Re-initializing the plugins database. There are some other good troubleshooting tips on this page.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tro ... x-problems

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:31 am  (#40) 
Global Moderator

Here are my screen shots extentions, and add ons A message where Firefox disabled my outdated version of java
Question: Would I be able to update the java filter through terminal?