It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-gimp artwork?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:45 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This is likely already answered somewhere before, if so just point me in the right direction. :)

I realize I am mostly using other open-source software rather than GIMP these days, like Blender, MyPaint and Krita. Whereas GIMP used to be at least some part of my workflow I find that most often Krita/MyPaint does what I need without me needing to switch into GIMP. It's just the type of painting I do - those programs are created specifically for this type of art workflow in mind, and they are just getting better.

So, since I don't see an explicit mention of it in the rules, I thought I'd ask about here - is it okay to post work like this in the "Gimp Art" forum despite it not being created with GIMP specifically? Over on GimpTalk we used a policy of "preferring GIMP, but accepting work from other programs too" but I thought it best to make sure what your policy is here.
Griatch

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Non-gimp artwork?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
This is likely already answered somewhere before, if so just point me in the right direction. :)

I realize I am mostly using other open-source software rather than GIMP these days, like Blender, MyPaint and Krita. Whereas GIMP used to be at least some part of my workflow I find that most often Krita/MyPaint does what I need without me needing to switch into GIMP. It's just the type of painting I do - those programs are created specifically for this type of art workflow in mind, and they are just getting better.

So, since I don't see an explicit mention of it in the rules, I thought I'd ask about here - is it okay to post work like this in the "Gimp Art" forum despite it not being created with GIMP specifically? Over on GimpTalk we used a policy of "preferring GIMP, but accepting work from other programs too" but I thought it best to make sure what your policy is here.
Griatch

Perhaps we should create a new board or section for non-GIMP entries under "Other Graphic Programs" like Other Graphic Artwork?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Perhaps we should create a new board or section for non-GIMP entries under "Other Graphic Programs" like Other Graphic Artwork?

At least on GT, where we tried a separate forum at one point, it was a sure way to have artwork not being seen since people would just scroll to the main art forums and not move down to the "Other art" one. It also adds moderator effort to police/move forum artwork that is in the wrong place (On GT, the separation between "Sigs" and "Normal Art" was enough work in itself even though we were ok with non-gimp made art).
Here on GC you have the large "latest post" header on the front page that do slightly remove the differences between different forum locations, so at least the visibility thing may be less of a concern I suppose. I personally prefer to have all art in one place though, makes it easier to search. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

A new subsection could be added to the Board Index. "Other Graphic Artwork" or some such thing. :)
That would be real easy to find. BUT that would take away from what Gimp Chat really is "a Gimp website". This is why under "Other Graphic Applications" you will see...
Subforums: Inkscape Discussions, Knotter Discussions and i suppose a Krita could be added there or MyPaint.
This would be something Tux would have to ponder me thinks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

wow - that is really a precios thread, my lucky day?
at least 4 new programs installed now - my contribution: Pixlr - free Photo editor online
sorry if that's posting n°52 about that online tool :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

CodaAlFine wrote:
wow - that is really a precios thread, my lucky day?
at least 4 new programs installed now - my contribution: Pixlr - free Photo editor online
sorry if that's posting n°52 about that online tool :)

Lots of great programs listed there. Commercial and Open Source. All are welcome in that thread. It's what it is there for. Thanks for the addition. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:50 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

Griatch wrote:
So, since I don't see an explicit mention of it in the rules, I thought I'd ask about here - is it okay to post work like this in the "Gimp Art" forum despite it not being created with GIMP specifically?

Yes, that's fine. Members have posted art there where GIMP was only partially used or not used at all.

We can certainly add a new section, if y'all think it's needed. If there is already a section for the app being used, such as Blender, it's probably better to post art/renders to that specific section.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:04 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, thanks! I'm certainly fine with continuing to post in the "Gimp art" forum. It's not like you can (usually) tell if a given image is done in GIMP, Krita or some other program after all (well, you can probably identify Blender images I guess).
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:46 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I'd think it would be beneficial for users of either program to know what others are doing. GIMP and Krita seem to have slightly different objectives, so both communities could benefit by sharing their results.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:12 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Tux. :)